Early Front Fenders

Started by gooddirt, January 13, 2006, 12:16:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gooddirt

Found a few front fenders labled A.A.B .made in england . they are 37in long and 3- 3/4in wide under side outside lip to outside lip . By the looks of early pentons pictures these seem to be about the same type up to the frist 1972 cmf.  The late 72 to mid 73 look to have a shorter and wider front fender . Is this correct???[?][8D]

Doug Wilford

Usually the front fenders that are to long we just cut to add a rear muc flap anyhow.  Some from England are for British bikes with 19" front wheels, these do not work on 21" wheels.   Over the top, front tip to rear 36" with 180 degree arch.    Kip Kern knows which ones to order from England.   I think only the early 68-69 Pentons had a very narrow front fender the rest up to 73 used the same 4" wide.

cubfan1968

Kip, hows the dollar looking in Europe? Could an order be placed for fenders?

Rod Whitman
1972 Six Day (Rider)
1972 Six Day (Project)
Rod Whitman
Omaha, Nebraska
1972 Six Day (Rider)
1972 Six Day (Project)

Kip Kern

Rod

Terrible for us trying to purchase things but fantastic for the International market on the Stock Exchange!

I will receive 20 fenders (15 rears and 5 fronts) at either Daytona or Mid Ohio.  I was able to get these through Mike at Walridge Motors in Canada through the UK.  He sent a set to check out and the front is identical to the NOS "72" front I have here with exception of being about 2" longer and the "C" channel needing to be a touch deeper, can't tell on the bike though.  The rear is fine but the length and chainguard area has to be cut to fit the machine, (normal).  I only ordered 5 fronts as I still have several from other earlier purchases.  Mike will soon be stocking the spokes, rims and I think, fenders too.  He has been a great help to the POG.  I am currently sizing some spokes for him to produce due to some changes in Penton rims, some reason, the spokes are 1" longer on later bikes?  Maybe due to Sun or other manufacture?  Working on that though!

cubfan1968

Thanks for the reply Kip. I've got some spokes and rims on order from Mike now. I'll call about the fenders. I've got Preston Petty's on my rider (and I really like the look) but, I want this project bike to look as original as possible.

Rod Whitman
1972 Six Day (Rider)
1972 Six Day (Project)
Rod Whitman
Omaha, Nebraska
1972 Six Day (Rider)
1972 Six Day (Project)

Marc Biro

Kip,

I am restoring a 1970 100cc Berkshire and need a set of fenders. Can you help?

Thanks

Marc Biro

tmc3c

I could also use a set for my 1970 125 also.

Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

cubfan1968

Kip are all the fenders spoken for or should I call Mike on my own?

Rod Whitman
1972 Six Day (Rider)
1972 Six Day (Project)
Rod Whitman
Omaha, Nebraska
1972 Six Day (Rider)
1972 Six Day (Project)

rob w

Hi guys,

As of yesterday I have a set of new alloy fenders now coming from a different source that I'm pretty sure no one has tried yet (at least I've never heard anyone mention them before). Not Speed & Sport, AMS, Cosmo, Viking, or any place in Canada.

5 x 18 or 19 rear and 4 x 21 front, undrilled. $89.92 per set + 12.95 shipping. (reasonable for blanks)
They seem to be pretty close already.
Of course some alterations will need to made, (O.A. length, end radius's, chain clearance, and possibly rebeading on the ends)

Just down the road from my shop I have the resources of some other great metal shops that perform different operations, and have different machinery than what I have, including a inexpensive, and creative laser cutting guy.

I will be fitting them to both a '70 model, and a '72 model Penton.
 To make them as correct as possible, I have to ask you guys for the proper dimensions, and proper photo's or drawings on the styles/shapes of the ends from people that have the original fenders handy.
At the moment I only have the correct front 3/4's of a '70/71 steel tank, rear fender.
I would like that done off-line here, so please just inform me on this forum if you have some original fenders we can go from. Then I will contact you.

Maybe we can get them very close to one model, say the steel tankers better than the CMF models, or vise-versa, but I believe this is really worth the try, and alot of us may benefit from this exploration.

I will start work on my first set next week, and proceed as quickly as possible, keeping the costs at a minimum and will keep you updated on the progress here.

Thanks a ton
RobW  

cubfan1968

Bob, if you would get this going I'd really appreciate it. A couple of times I almost pulled the trigger on this purchase but buying them sight unseen really scared me.

Please keep us posted. Thanks again.

Rod Whitman
1972 Six Day (Rider)
1972 Six Day (Project)
Rod Whitman
Omaha, Nebraska
1972 Six Day (Rider)
1972 Six Day (Project)

Rocket

Rob
If you want, I will pull an original set off of my 72 125 and send you to make copies.  Let me know if you want this.
Rod G

firstturn

Rob,
  The only original set of Steel Tanker fenders I have are on "Louk" that is in a museum currently.  If you really need that set I can go over and measure them or do what ever is needed.  Let me know.  I think I have a original '73 set that was a early take off.  I will try to call you this weekend.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

rpage11

Ron
I just spoke to Lawrence Shellaby and he pick up my 71 last week.  I think it's all original, but you can determine that when you see it.  Lawrence said to give him a call if you'd like to stop by and borrow the fenders of it.  Skip
Skip Page
Tucson, AZ
www.robertpagearchitect.com

firstturn

Skip,
  Thanks for the offer and I will be stopping by to see Both of your Pentons.  I hope you will enjoy your Pentons.  As always, if I can help Lawrence I will.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

rob w

Ron and Rocket,

Boy, that is very generous of you gentlemen, I really appreciate your offers...thank you!

. I discovered I did have a good original '72 front fender to go from.
. I believe we can transfer all the information necessary without having to disassembled any parts, simply by...
- tracing/outlining on a piece of paper the profiles/radiuses of the ends.
- Measuring the overall lengths, across top curvature end to end.
- And for (only my own) mounting/drilling purposes, measuring the distance from the nearest mounting tabs/holes, to the ends.
.So I have the '72 front fender, and the front 3/4's (from the rear loop holes forward) of a '70 rear fender.
. The information I need is on the '72 rear fender, the '70/'71 front fender, and the length the '70/'71 Steel Tank rear fender is expose from the rear loop mounting holes rearward to the end.

I'm sure other questions will arise, I won't have these fender blanks until Wed. or Thurs...at that point we'll see if we even have anything close to work with, and just what has to be done to them.

But again, THANKS a ton for your help with this stuff. I could'nt do it without you.

Rod G., do you think you'll be at the AMA Feb. meeting?
See you there I hope, you too Ron.

So long for now,
RobW