Spokes are no jokes

Started by lksseven, January 26, 2006, 11:04:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lksseven

thanks, Gavin!  I'll make sure to do that the 3rd time around, since that's always the 'charm' trip for me (this is shaping up to be the most "charmed" bike in history).

I respoked the wheels this weekend (9 hours is what I spent respoking the wheels - I'm embarrassed it took me so long!).    Live and learn - the cad coating filled in some of the very fine threading of the spokes and nipples to the point where some of the nipples wouldn't go on the spokes without some soap and candle wax lubrication, and even then they were super tight -
next time I'll leave the nipples screwed onto the spokes when I get them cadmium coated, to shield the threads from getting filled in.
     What ultimately worked for me was to install three inside spokes on the same plane, and then one outside spoke going the other way, mark the holes for the outside spoke, then remove it, then install all of the spokes on the inner rims of the hubs, then all the spokes on the outer rims (taking care to start correctly with the previously marked holes.   Like I say, live, cuss, calm down, ponder, and learn.

Larry Seale
I choose to ride
Larry Seale
I choose to ride...slower and slower all the time