Spokes are no jokes

Started by lksseven, January 26, 2006, 11:04:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lksseven

I made 3 attempts to spoke the front wheel of my 74 6day, learning stuff with each attempt, but finally gave up.  I couldn't get the final 9 spokes to go in.   How I progressed up to that point was:
      - I first put in the spokes that insert from the outside, on both rims of the hub.
      - then I put in the spokes on one side that insert from the inside.
      - so far so good.   But when I attempted to insert the final row of spokes on the other side (that inserted from the inside) there was not enough clearance between the hub and the rim to allow the spoke to be inserted into the rim.

What am I doing wrong?
Larry Seale
I choose to ride...slower and slower all the time

G Ellis

Larry put all the spokes in the hub first. Then put the hub inside the rim. Then lace the spokes one by one. This is how I do it, This isn't probably the right way, but it works for me. Hope this will help. G Ellis

lksseven

Hi Gary,

Thanks for the tip, I'll approach it that way this weekend.

I actually had all the spokes in the hub at the end, having removed the rim, but just looking at the jumble of spokes (plus I left one spoke at the office by accident) made me give up for the evening.  Night all.

Larry Seale
I choose to ride
Larry Seale

rob w

Three spokes are sitting in a bar, a inner LH, an outer LH, and a outer RH....
...the inner LH said to the outer LH, have I ever crossed you before ?
Then the outer RH said.....

Oh you've probably already heard this one, sorry.

[:I][:o)]

Yep, Gary's on track, that's the correct way to start.

Rain Man

Larry,I dunno if you've ever seen the rims with the spokes "wire tied" together or not. I usually tie up the criss crossing spokes with bread wrappeer ties when lacing. And that will give you 9 sets of 2's on one side of the wheel,simplyfying assembly onto the rim.
 I hope i explained this right, I guess it would be easier with a picture than a posting.  All I know is the ties keep the spokes organized and closer to the final installed pattern.

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

lksseven

Raymond,

That's a great tip - thank you.  I'll use it for the back wheel this weekend.  I did the front wheel the hard way - of course - last night, finishing about 1:15 this morning.  I just kept getting up from the living room floor and walking out to the garage and eyeballing the pattern on my Jackpiner.

all the spokes are in, but some of the threads are super tight due to the cad coating, so I may have to back those nipples off and try to lube them and retry screwing them all the way in.

I'm looking forward to the point when it's time to put the seat on ... something easy!!!!! :D

Larry Seale
I choose to ride
Larry Seale

Dennis D

Touch up the threads with some candle wax. Great stuff. Dennis D

Rain Man

Larry: definition of a tinkerer,  A guy that builds an airplane from the runway up [8D].
  The seat, i have a hard time glueing the covers on, :(  but heres another little secret.  The wood stove:  its helpful for seat cover installations  and makes new tire fall on the rims !!  

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

DKWRACER

Ray, you are such a Gem!. Just got of the phone with RC, life on Hardscrabble Rd. is OK? Tom......
Thomas Brosius

Rain Man

Hi Tom, ya today it was 50f out, so I road my snowmobiles awhile then jumped on my 6 day.  Riding 3 times in January never happens up here [8D]  Its usually below 20 f all Month.
   BTW, Watcha building this winta [?]

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

DKWRACER

Ray, two new Pentons from the dirt on up[:p]
1= 77 GS 175 with fresh everything, not no wild paint scheme, but true to form.
2= Custom 76 MC5/ 250, dubbed the "Silver Bullet" Dodge Viper Silver with red accents, much like "Red Bud"...and I don't drink no stinkin Coors![}:)] GB, LT
Thomas Brosius

Chakka

Raymond - I am in CT and it was in the 50's here as well. I was out on my quad doing some yard stuff and my nephew showed up, pulled the Six Day out of the barn and rode it all afternoon. This weather in New England is crazy! I hope this doesn't mean a super hot humid summer.
Chakka

Rain Man

Well Tom, those both sound like very fun bikes, especially the mc 250. cant wait to see the photos[:p]

Chakka, by chance were you at The Vintage ride in Soemers CT. in November ? Ya missed a good one. Its coming back this year sometime in November.

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

Chakka

Raymond, Unfortunatly I missed it, I think I was sailing that weekend. A guy I work with went to the event and said it was somthing we need to participate in next year. It was only about 25 mins from my house, (&^&^*^% I should have went! Since I will have 4 Pentons by Nov we put together a vintage team at work made up of 2 serious riders who still compete, along with myself and a friend Melissa who wants to start riding and took up the challange when we offered it to her. What were the trails like? Was it vintage friendly?
Chakka

Gavin Housh

Don't forget to place the valve stem hole and the rim lock hole in the right place or you won't be able to get your air chuck on. Gavin