BAJA

Started by cubfan1968, February 15, 2006, 07:19:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cubfan1968

Has any of the membership ever ridden Baja? I'm thinking about doing a trip in 2007. I'm looking at an all inclusive trip with the motorcycle included in the package. Just wanted to know if there are any information or tips anybody could give me.

Rod Whitman
1972 Six Day (Rider)
1972 Six Day (Project)
Rod Whitman
Omaha, Nebraska
1972 Six Day (Rider)
1972 Six Day (Project)

OUCWBOY

Rod,
Is that Baja California or Baja Oklahoma??? Just kidding!

Donny Smith
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

cubfan1968

Donny
[:o)] May the Huskers hang 50 on the Sooners when they play in the Big 12 Championship game in December.

Rod Whitman
1972 Six Day (Rider)
1972 Six Day (Project)
Rod Whitman
Omaha, Nebraska
1972 Six Day (Rider)
1972 Six Day (Project)

cag33

Try trailboss tours. They are listed in Dirt Rider and Cycle News.Chris & Nancy do a great job of providing a great trip.

rpage11

Rod

This is the web site that I found and liked their pitch.  http://www.bajaboundmoto.com/schedule/

I've been trying to get a few friends in Tucson to do this for the last couple of years.  Always sound good after a few beers but when it's time to step up, I'm always the only one ready.  I finally showed it to my daughter last year and she was up for it.

The only thing was, I needed to teach her how to ride.  She's a natural at skiing and plays soccer year round.  This year she started pointing out ski runs that I questioned.  Oh how it's nice to be young.

Anyway, back to teaching her how to ride.  First, I needed to get her a bike.  Now what should I get?  You got it, that's how I found this site and since bought 2 steel tankers.  She keeps asking, "When's my bike going to be ready."  She'll turn 15 in a week and I think her interests are changing.  I still think I can get her to go, even thou father / daughter rides are in the summer when it's the hottest time of year.

I'd be interested, if you want company.  Look over the site and let me know what time of year and how long you're thinking of riding.  You won't have to ask me twice.  Skip
Skip Page
Tucson, AZ
www.robertpagearchitect.com

cubfan1968

Skip
I'm thinking about Feb 15-18 2007. About 2 years ago I went to Super Hunky's web site and read some of his stories on Baja. This really got me going. I emailed him recently and he told me to look into Chris Haines tours. I did, and really liked the package they offered.

I'm going to go for sure and it would be even better if the entire group would be Poggers.

Rod Whitman
1972 Six Day (Rider)
1972 Six Day (Project)
Rod Whitman
Omaha, Nebraska
1972 Six Day (Rider)
1972 Six Day (Project)

Big Mac

I grew up in San Diego, so a lot of my mis-spent youth included two-wheeled fun and Baja. We were young and foolhardy, and explored alone even as teens. As long as you're further south of the large border towns, the place is great, people are friendly and trips have always been fun and relatively safe.

That being said, I'd still recommend a proven guide who is well equipped with lots of experience. I know first hand the downside to cycle injuries and emergency room visits in Mexico and once had a very scary run in with armed banditos who decided they needed my 4wd worse than I did. Not unlike a lot of other places, it's not hard to get in trouble if you don't take care.

Have fun, and don't trust the fuel grade called "XTRA" to be even close to the premium pump gas we take for granted North of the border...I tried it once and sacrificed an '82 Husky piston on a San Felipe beach run, my homage to BAJA back in the day.
Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR

rpage11

Rod
I looked up the site this morning for a minute and it looks similar to the one I was looking at.  With the referral that you got, I thing we should go with yours.  What's your schedule like, any optional times?  I was too busy today to look close, but I'll study it tonight and email you with any question.  I'm in.  Skip
Skip Page
Tucson, AZ
www.robertpagearchitect.com