Special KTM Tuning

Started by imported_n/a, March 01, 2006, 07:31:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imported_n/a

I picked up a SixDays today and the clutch case has a sticker that reads: "Special KTM Tuning".  Does anyone know what this means?

TGTech

George,

If my memory serves me correctly, that was a sticker that was put on the engines toward the end of the Sachs era, to try and market the bike a little more strongly. As far as the details, I have no recollection of what was done.

Dane

Paul Danik

George and Dane,

As far as I can remember hearing, and from the pictures I have seen from the KTM factory, they took off the topend and did some port work and re-set the timing.  On page 103 in the history of KTM book, there is a picture taken at KTM of a number of Sachs engines with their top ends off, there are also some with their cylinders reinstalled and a dial indicator in place giving a reading on the top of the piston, leading me to think they reset the timing.

I will bring this book to the meeting tomorrow night.
Paul

imported_n/a

Dane, Paul;

Thanks for the information.  The bike is titled as a '72, but the frame number starts with a 405.  This would be a late Sachs engine.

George

OUCWBOY

George,
Does your engine have the ignition side cover, and if so what is the type engine, ie: 1251/6B or maybe a 1251/6D. If the rt side cover is missing, count the fins on the cylinder, the B has seven and the D only has 6. I have a Six Day, frame is 407xxxxx that has the Special KTM Tuning stickers and it is a "D" engine with some port work done by the Factory.

Donny Smith
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

imported_n/a

Donny,

The side case is there, but the numbers have been painted over.  The cylinder has 7 fins, so it is not a D.  The bike may be a bitsa.  It has 32 mm forks with a threaded boss welded to the fork legs.  I thought the 73 and later bikes came with 35 mm fork tubes.

George