March 2006 Home Page Photo

Started by Admin, March 07, 2006, 04:29:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TGTech

For those of you who've guessed that this might be "THE" prototype of the Penton Six Day, you're 100% correct. Like the Jackpiner prototype, this bike is in the collection of the former Italian KTM distributor, Arnaldo Farioli. It has been a very long time since I've seen the bike, butI do know that there are a couple of things "wrong" with it. Anybody want to throw out some ideas as to what they might be?

I don't know anything about the engine's side covers, but I'm going to try and contact some of my Austrian friends and see if they can tell me where they came from.

Dane

firstturn

Just a little hint.  Check to see if you have the original post card or brochure and you may notice what Dane is talking about.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

TGTech

Nobody wants to try put the "mistakes" to this picture?

Dane

OUCWBOY

One thing I think is wrong is the seat, althout it is correct for the era, the early seats weren't pleated??

Donny Smith
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

TGTech

Donny,

That is one of the things that really stands out for me as being absolutely incorrect. I don't know if that seat was put on the bike before we shipped it back to Europe or if it was put on over there, but is just isn't right in my mind. But then again, I don't know how interested Arnaldo is in making the bikes period accurate.

Dane

OUCWBOY

Dane,
I'm thinking the tank could be the wrong year as well, because of the Penton Lettering, I thought they were slanted on the early bikes. Also, can't really tell for sure on the photo, but could the front fender bracket be the wide one and not the narrow one??

Donny Smith
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

TGTech

Donny,

I think that the fender brace is the correct one, but without looking at it straight on, I can't tell for sure. The fender may be a narrow one instead of the wider fenders, which would make the brace look narrower than normal.

The tank is definitely not correct, and I'm guessing that the tank was replaced with a newer one, due to the use of the machine prior to it's retirement.

You still haven't hit one item that I know for sure.

Dane

slvrbrdfxr

Dane,
Probably grasping at straws but here's a couple guesses from me. Looks like there could be less fins than normal on the cylinder. Also looks like the front fork lower legs are a mismatched pair. How did I do ??
Dave McCullough

OUCWBOY

Rear Wheel Rim!!!! Maybe the front too, but I can't tell from the full photo.

Donny Smith
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

slvrbrdfxr

Dane,
Hmmmm... I figure there has to be a reason why the enlarged picture is cropped like it is sort of highlighting the engine area of the bike. With that in mind, I just took another close look in the same area I was scrutinizing earlier around the cylinder. I can see the fuel line, throttle, choke, and clutch cables but there's more. Looks like what appears to be an extra gray cable running down past the right side of the carb and into the area between the carb and base of the cylinder. Could this extra cable be used for a compression release built into the cylinder ?? If that's not it I'll keep looking !!
Dave McCullough

Gavin Housh

The chamber looks to have two welded in treaded bosses to bolt on a heat shield? Gavin

nsujeff

Dane,
Throttle not oval , handle bar clamps different, correct handle bars?
Somethin' looks odd about the engine block, is brake lever correct width? Were the original petcocks German or Italian?
                                            Jeff

Jeffrey P. Borer
Jeffrey P. Borer
Amherst,Ohio

OUCWBOY

It looks like someone put a breather hose for the Ignition and there is what looks to be a tool mounted just forward of the shock, behind the pipe. Obvious the heat sheild missing.

Donny Smith
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

Admin

OUCWBOY

OK, Even the front wheel look to be aluminum. And a very strange looking Kickstarter too! ALso, the rear brake pedal is differnet looking than the one in the 001 parts manual?

Donny Smith
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR