When did it change?

Started by cubfan1968, March 16, 2006, 11:02:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frosty

Here's my 2 cents worth on the riding gear.The pictures of the old racers with the work boots,openfaced Bell helmets (with the visors to protect your eyes),Safety glasses that look like they were "borrowed" from the steel mills,and the plain old t shirts are from a simpler time.Although I miss those days,The added protection is needed.Go to your boss Monday morning and tell him that you need a couple of weeks to heal.Not only will you be hurting but you'll be looking for another job.I wish for the good old days as much as the next guy,but if your going to ride make sure your protected with the latest gear.

cubfan1968

The point I'm trying to make isn't if you need protection from injury it's if we go overboard on what we think we need. Follow me here. You can't tell me those guys who race stock cars on the dirt tracks of the mid west have the same safety equipment as Michael Waltrip. If they needed to have that kind of protection there would be no way they could afford to race.

There are safety precautions that need to be taken but if one were to feel the need to be ready for every crazy thing that could happen they could'nt afford to step out the door each morning.

I believe by creating the mind set that every new dirt rider must purchase all the latest safety equipment in order to participate in the sport puts the sport out of reach for the average teenager.

Rod Whitman
1972 Six Day (Rider)
1972 Six Day (Project)
Rod Whitman
Omaha, Nebraska
1972 Six Day (Rider)
1972 Six Day (Project)

t20sl

Rob:  Plain and simple. One visit to the local emergency room will cost more than buying middle of the road protection.  What's your health worth?  No one is creating a "need" for going overkill. There are a lot of very reasonable safety riding gear available.   Do we really need cars that run 180MPH?, jet skis that run 90MPH, tv's in our mini vans?, MP# players in our sunglasses?  Advertising is just that, showing what is for sale.  The "need" is created in out own heads.  Do pee wee football players really need all that protection.  Sure do if they want to minimize the injurys.  Which goes back to my second sentence above. Hospitals are expensive.

cubfan1968

This goes back to my orginal question, "When did it change?". I watch the movie "On Any Sunday" those kids in the movie were not wearing the latest safety equipment. The reason isn't entirely it wasn't available cause it was available. Just look at the old pictures of Joel Robert, Roger DeCoster and John Penton. They were wearing at that time the best protection you could buy. These kids in 1971 realized they didn't need to dress exactly like Ake Johnnson in order to enjoy trail riding.

Now answer this one question. How does a kid making $6.00 per hour afford to trail ride if besides buying the motorcycle and a helmet he needs to buy leathers, elbow pads, knee pads and a pair of expensive boots that the only place he can wear them is in the trails?

The answer is unless Dad buys it for him he won't ever trail ride.

As time passes and we get less and less new comers entering the sport of trail riding will go by the wayside. The only place you will see motorcycles is some Supercross event.

I've heard the trip to the emergency room angle also. I agree entirely with that statement. Let me ask you this, have you ever ridden a horse, driven a car, climbed a ladder or just walked down a hill to wet a line, these are all places were you can break bones or get serious injury. Things happen. I believe commen sense not extra padding puts the odds in your favor.

This is a great sport. I love it. And I wear an Arai helmet, goggles,MX boots and gloves every time the bike is in gear.

I know there are members that disagree with what I have to say. But this is how I feel. Plus it gets the message board buzzing.

Thanks for reading.

Rod Whitman
1972 Six Day (Rider)
1972 Six Day (Project)
Rod Whitman
Omaha, Nebraska
1972 Six Day (Rider)
1972 Six Day (Project)

t20sl

Rob:  People riding without protection is still around.  I still see kids accross from the Honda shop where I work zooming around in a field with no helmet, no gloves etc.. But gee whiz, if they can convince Dad to buy the stuff they will get the very best.  Unfortunately they probably won't wear it unless they are racing.  I totally agree the sport is expensive, especially at $6.00 an hour.  Look at entry fees. A simple dual sport is going to cost $40-60 a day, with no trophys, the insurance from the AMA is way less than for an Enduro.  Door prizes are asked for from dealers ( a sore point with me) and the only expense is some markers and food.  Enduros in the 1970's were $4.00-7.00 entry fee.  What are the clubs doing with all that new found wealth??  Its been a gradual change that looks sudden when you read an old magazine and see the old time prices.  I do a lot more fun trail riding and a lot less competetive racing mainly due to entry fees being out of sight.  Bring thoses prices down and we might see more riders turn up at an event.  Especially nationals.

hrbay

Rod, It was a dissappointment that after 25 years away from dirt bikes, I could not find a pair of boots that felt as good as the Full Bores I used back when... bought two pairs of moderns, before resigning to the newer boots lack of perceived flexibility. I remembered much better shift and brake access with the old boots. I am now comfortable with the stiffer boot, I am breaking in some. There is so much more technology in the new equipment it is all done to help not hurt us. Technolgy drives the products. The ability to mold materials, composites and plastics for example, has advanced wildly in the last 20 years... why not use it to be safer? I would guess that the push towards hi-tech gear came about when MX went from outdoors venues to stadium or arena events, 78 or 79?

GC
GC

Dave Stype

We were looking through some old photo albums last night, and came across some photos of us from an enduro marked with the date May of 72. The riding gear consisted of Linemans boots With tape around the top, blue jeans, a sweat shirt, Leather work gloves from the hardware store, open face helmut with a visor, and old army surplus goggles. From what I can see in the photos, almost everybody else had the same sort of attire as well. Found another photo from the Grove City Enduro marked July 1970. There's a guy on the line with a button down dress shirt on.
We were also laughing at our home made flat stock aluminum fenders,number plates that consisted of a piece of aluminum bent in a square shaped u and held on with the same bolts that held on the headlight, and the army surplus toolbags straped to the handlebars. All I can say is thank God for modern equipment.        Dave

Dave Stype
Dave Stype

Glenn Berry

I used to ride trials back in the late 60's and early 70's. We all wore full bore boots, jeans, those motorcycle gloves with the rubber on the fingers, tee shirts,and Bell helmet caps(never helmets). I guess we thought the name Bell was going to protect us. I'm not sure when it changed but I am glad we are req. to wear helmets now.

Glenn Berry
Glenn Berry

firstturn

Looking back at the safety equipment I have used over the years I have to believe that changing to riding a Penton had a lot to do with my choice of equipment.  I purchased Torsten Hallman leathers (used, like new) after a I switched to Penton.  I also paid more attention to shoulder pads and helmets after switching to Penton.  I will have to say that back in the day the better products did in fact last much longer.  As a matter of fact my leathers are still in good enough condition to use.

I guess a lot of what people look at is the initial cost when in fact there is so much used equipment for people to purchase for kids since kids grow and people are looking at selling old equipment.  With that said I see riding groups that are worth joining to have a steady source of used racing safety equipment.

Again I have heard that if you have a head worth $25.00 than wear a $25.00 helmet!  I like what my Father told me at a early stage of my racing career.  He reminded me that a throttle goes two ways and know when to attack and know when to be patient.  #2 (being patient) is the hardest to learn.  Oh, and I try to always wear a helmet around town even on a pit bike to try and set a good example for the youth....and some old timers too.;)

Great subject and remember that for younger people buying safety equipment they can work extra jobs if they want it bad enough.......at times I worked 3 jobs at a time before I was 12 years old.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Mick Milakovic

I too have some pictures from the late 60's and early 70's of my brothers in lineman boots, jeans, and t-shirts, and pictures from the same races show John Penton wearing a Belstaff jacket!  Makes me think that the issue of what to wear was more one of experience!

Mick

thrownchain

If you look at the old riding gear, you'll notice work boots, helmet and gloves. Even the "pros" didn't wear much more than that. Maybe a jersey and padded pants. That was state of the art then. As the sport evolved and injuries became more numerous, gear was improved to prevent or lessen those injuries. Just like airbags and seatbelts in cars, everything evolved. The only thing that didn't evolve was the price, it just keeps going up. The bike that cost $800.00 then, costs $5800.00 now. It's technically a superior machine, and you can do more with it, which means you need to be better protected. Standards have improved and materials have improved with them. You didn't even think Carbon Fiber back then, now it's in everything. Kevlar, same thing. Do you need all the newest gear? Maybe not. Should you have it?? That's up to the rider, it's your body or head. What's it worth to you? And just so you know, my riding gear is a helmet and work shoes. I don't have a problem riding with just that.

Big Mac

All good points...One big reason I got into vintage bikes and vintage racing was that the "Keeping up with the Jones's" attitude seems to be minimal, racing is cheap, and an investment in a bike can last for years and years instead of one or two seasons (plus the mechanically enlightened and down-to-earth bretheren). The Follow-the-leader types who now think they all need the latest 4-stroke technology and high-zoot gear to have fun or go fast make me laugh. Just look at what Jeff Fredette proves on his air-cooled KDX at every ISDT Reunion Ride.

I used to trailride pretty hard with just a helmet, jeans and workboots. But an experienced rider/competitor I met up with asked me what my insurance co-pay would be if I had to make a run to the Emergency Room--$500-- then pointed out that I'd be better off to spend that much on good protection. Good point, I thought.

But the relative cost really is a lot less for this and most sports today than it was 35 years ago, no matter how much we like to complain. I have a ton of late '60s and early '70s magazines with ads for bikes, gear, parts, clothing, lubes, etc and the comparison of early-70s $'s to today's $'s works out to 5:1. Seems impossible, but do the math and you'll see that's pretty close across the boards.

I think the reason you see color-coordinated, full geared trailriders so much now it because you can outfit a rider in lower-priced full protection for $350-$400, which works out to us spending about $75 back in the day...Just about enough for very cheap helmet, work boots and a sweatshirt. Relatively speaking, it's cheaper now to look the part. Still looks pretty silly to me though, so I mismatch what I have and wear a sweatshirt on top. At least the neon pink and baby blue gear and white fancy-boy boots combination is good and dead.

Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR

Steve Minor

It's been said before...if you have a $25 head, buy a $25 helmet.
Steve Minor

Mick Milakovic

I agree with wearing as much protection as you feel comfortable with.  I remember watching the trials event at Mid Ohio last year with Dennis Jones and lots of gus were wearing just boots, jeans, and open face helmets.  I commented that trials looked like a lot of fun with less chance of serious injury.  Dennis replied that his worst injuries came from trials and not motocross!  Seems that when you're going slow, trying to negotiate a 90 degree turn over a creek and then you make a mistake and fall 6-8 feet straight down it's gonna hurt!  [B)]

On another thought, buy close-out gear from the warehouses and you can get pants, jersey, and gloves for $65.  That's a big savings.  Ride on! [8D]

Mick

OUCWBOY

Steve,
Things have changed on the $25 helmet saying. I remember in my old Penton dealer a sign saying "If you have a $5 head, wear a $5 helmet".
Underneath that sign was another of my favorite signs.
"If you want fresh new oats, you must pay the price, but, if you want oats that's already been through the horse, that's a little cheaper".

Donny Smith
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR