Spraying 2 part poly

Started by Chakka, March 18, 2006, 10:36:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chakka

Anybody have suggestions for spraying 2 part poly for painting gas tanks and side panels? I have a compressor and guns but have always avoided using this type of paint because I had heard the chemicals are very hazardous. What type of safety equipment is needed and any tips on mixing, shooting would be helpful

Chakka

DKWRACER

Cris, this may be helpfull. I have sprayed 2-part epoxy primer with good results, does require a larger orifice HVLP gun. Recommended by some manufactures is a 1.8mm nozzle. If you spray outside, I don't think that fumes would cause problems, you can let the curing part stand while it outgasses to a dust free tack, them move the part to inside for required cure period, but there will be fumes released during the cure stage, so environmental concerns are an issue. Some states are so regulated that you have to have proper equipment to prevent fumes from being released into the atmosphere, and I don't know if "hobby-ists" are regulated.....Anyway, good luck...Tom Brosius
Thomas Brosius

hrbay

Be sure to wear a mask, don't want to get sick.. the poly iso in the new paints is not good to breath, follow makers mix recommendations and adjust your gun for as even a fan as you can get.I use a Binks 15 knock off with good results. You can download lots of info from manufacturers like Dupont about how to use their product. The good thing about the newer catalyzed enamel is that after several hours you can go back and "color sand" or get rid of orange peel. It's good paint and it is tough when its set, resists solvent and fuels, 2 part clear coat looks awesome but may not be the vintage look your after. Just take your time and have fun. Oh, if painting outside watch out for paint bugs, they are attracted to the smell of this paint.

GC
GC

DKWRACER

Cris, this may be helpfull. I have sprayed 2-part epoxy primer with good results, does require a larger orifice HVLP gun. Recommended by some manufactures is a 1.8mm nozzle. If you spray outside, I don't think that fumes would cause problems, you can let the curing part stand while it outgasses to a dust free tack, them move the part to inside for required cure period, but there will be fumes released during the cure stage, so environmental concerns are an issue. Some states are so regulated that you have to have proper equipment to prevent fumes from being released into the atmosphere, and I don't know if "hobby-ists" are regulated.....Anyway, good luck...Tom Brosius
Thomas Brosius

hrbay

Be sure to wear a mask, don't want to get sick.. the poly iso in the new paints is not good to breath, follow makers mix recommendations and adjust your gun for as even a fan as you can get.I use a Binks 15 knock off with good results. You can download lots of info from manufacturers like Dupont about how to use their product. The good thing about the newer catalyzed enamel is that after several hours you can go back and "color sand" or get rid of orange peel. It's good paint and it is tough when its set, resists solvent and fuels, 2 part clear coat looks awesome but may not be the vintage look your after. Just take your time and have fun. Oh, if painting outside watch out for paint bugs, they are attracted to the smell of this paint.

GC
GC

t20sl

Chakka: Throw away masks are available that will filter the organics for around $25-30.  You can use them until they become clogged.  Several paint jobs.  Make sur you get one recommended for your specific paint.  The Dupont/PPG clear.base systems are nice also and can be masked, sanded, 2 toned etc usually in about 30 minutes to an hour.

tomale

"T" is right about the masks. Be berry berry carful, I have not sprayed the two part stuff but I have sprayed alot of other really toxic stuff, epoxy and such, I have sprayed stuff that even though my nose and mouth was covered my eyes were burning just from the fumes. If you plan to do much spraying at all go ahead and spend a little money and get a proper mask. Just a note of warning though, whether it is the throw away or the ones with replacement cartages, you need to put them in a sealed container between uses. the reason is that part of the filtration system uses charcoal, which continues to filter whether you are using it or not, so if you do do not seal it up, the next time you use it....it will not filter the way that you need it to and you may not know the difference but your lungs will...
I have not used the throw away masks so I am not real sure how effective they maybe if used more than once but I have a really nice mask that I use when ever I spray anything but latex. If it has been more than a few months I go ahead and replace the cartages. They are cheap compared to lungs. :D

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)
75' GS400 (project bike)
72'sixday (project bike)
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W