Air Box Intake

Started by imported_n/a, March 25, 2006, 10:07:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imported_n/a

POG, question, I'm new to high breather frames. The way I see it there are 3 ways for air to get into the box - under tank, through filter, and small hole under the seat. Question is about the access under the seat, you  know, the silver dollar sized recessed area with a hole the size of a pencil that lines up with pencil sized hole in the airbox. On mine there's a void between the frame hole and the airbox hole of about 3/8". Should these 2 holes be connected by a small hose, tube, something to make best use of them? To me it appears they should or does it even matter? Thoughts? Thx,

chris h.
1974 six day

firstturn

Chris,
  The air comes in the vent holes under the fuel tank and flows down in the filter area that cleans the air before it goes into the plentum area of the airbox (big area on the intake side of the carburetor).  There is a hole on top of the air box the has a place for a bolt.  But there is also a hole that is covered up by a rubber cover. If this doesn't make sense email me and I will send you pictures.  I hope you Texas Penton is nearing completion.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

rob w

Chris,  
I always place a 3/16" thick rubber washer there between the airbox and frame. You want to have a rubber washer between any contact point where the fiberglass can rub on the steel anyway.
I like the real rubbery rubber that will compress, not the hard cloth reinforced rubber washers.

Ya' know, air (and water), can both get into the the top of the box, because very few people still have and use the stock foam sealing gasket there between the frame and the top of the airbox. There are'nt too many left that make the effort to properly water seal (silicon) that area, making their High-breather's abit more of a lower-than-intended breather.

BobW

Chakka

Bob,

I believe Al still has a supply of the foam gasket that seals off the area arond the intake between the airbox and frame. I purchased 4 from him not that long ago. As for the mtg hole located in the recess on the frame, I apply a small dap of RTV to the screw threads and use a rubber washer. If you use RTV as a sealer on the screw there is no way water can creep in.
Chakka

slvrbrdfxr

Chris,
The RTV on the threads is a good idea to make the area water tight. Still think you should consider putting a 3/16" rubber washer between the airbox and frame as Bob suggested. The rubber washer should eliminate the possibility of rubbing a hole in the fiberglass due to direct contact with the frame.
Dave McCullough

imported_n/a

thx, o.k., i see, it's a mounting hole! i thought it was another area for a little more air to get into the box?! i,m gonna have to loosen up all the other mounts and move the airbox around. The 2 mounting holes don't line up, not even close. So that's where that extra bolt came from :D

ron, the texas penton is really shapin' up from a tx mx into a fl enduro! pictures to come soon...

chris h.

firstturn

Chris,
  Great keep us posted.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Chakka

Chris,
The airbox holes never line up. At least not on the 5 bikes I have. The trick is to slide the box in place, "start" the 6mm screws and tighten a few turns each. This locates the box. Then I alternate and take a couple turns on each one repeatedly until they are all tight. Its the only way that works for me.

Chris

Rain Man

I've had to file some of the fiber glass air boxes to get them to even fit into the CMF jackpiners I've been goofing with. Removing some material will help with bolt hole alignment too.  I've been using the automotive type rubber seal with contact cement  around the access panels and the top of the box.  
  And if you have real wet and muddy conditions like up here in the desert of maine, you can grease the inside of the air box to keep the polywogs and crickets outta the carb  :D

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

John Ehrhart

I was told to tape that up with duct tape to make certain no water gets in from the top. So my Jackpiner is still sealed with some really ancient racer's tape!
Never did drown it, though.
\\"If life were fair, Elvis would be alive and all the impersonators would be dead.\\"
--Johnny Carson