Ignition timing

Started by robesetz, March 30, 2006, 07:56:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robesetz

Can anyone tell me the correct ignition timing for a 76' KTM MC5 400? I have a PENTON/KTM manual dated August 77' but the listing for the 400 is blank? Is it TDC? I found this site http://www.ktm495.mxbikes.com/motoplat.htm
and it says 2.3-2.8mm BTDC? Oh yea the bike is bone stock. Thanks.    

ROB
76' 400 MC5
ROB
76\\\' 400 MC5

rob w

Hi Rob,

2.4 mm...b.t.d.c.

RBob

DKWRACER

Rob, welcome to the Penton Owners group! It's always nice to hear from new members. Your's is an MC5/400, one of the very best, tell us of your BIO, and your experiences....06 is the year of MC5's, and there is a t-shirt to commemorate. Once again, Welcome to the POG! [:p]
Tom Brosius
Thomas Brosius

robesetz

Tom,
   Thanks for the warm welcome. This forum has been great, I finally found a place where people actually respond to questions and know what they are talking about. Oh yea my bio, well I'm 32 married and have 3 kids. I have been a mechanic in the Army for 14 years now. I'm currently stationed at Ft Bragg NC. I have never raced competitively but love to ride. Now the important stuff... the bike! I bought the bike in 94' when I lived in Copperas Cove TX. An older gentleman drove by my house as I was washing my old 74' Suzuki 175. He wanted to know if I wanted to buy his old KTM. I told him I didn't have much cash as I was 20 at the time and a private in the Army. He said he just wanted someone who would take care of it and told me if I gave him $100 it was mine. Thankfully for my sake I said yes. Tragedy stuck 2 months later as it was stolen. I actually recovered the bike about a month after the fact in late 94. The bike was spray painted gold, black and every color in between from the tires to the handle bars! I stripped it all down and repainted it blue. (It was red) I could not get it started and gave up. I finally decided to get the bike going again and tore it down last week. First I want to get it running good and then I will do a complete restore to original. I want to thank all of you for your help and you will be hearing from me again soon with more inquiries!

Robert Setzer                

ROB
76' 400 MC5
ROB
76\\\' 400 MC5

Rain Man

Just watch where you point that thing when you twist the wick eh Rob.:D  
I think the 2.3-2.8 mm equals an .011" difference BTDC.  Its a given tolerance so we dont spend 4 hours trying to get it exactly @ 2.3mm [8D]
   but sometimes those tempermental pinging, hot running motors need that little bit of difference... (+)or(-)

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons