Metzler Tires?

Started by imported_n/a, March 30, 2006, 10:59:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imported_n/a

POG, does Metzler still produce a vintage tread pattern? If so, anyone know where to look for a set? If not, I see a lot of talk about Kenda tires on old postings and it appears they do have a vintage tread available. How do they compare? Need a couple of good recommendations? No racing, just need (new/nos) period tires. Thanks,

Chris Heeter
1974 Six Day 125

KJDonovan

Chris,

I just got a set of Kenda's for my 72 JP and they are the closest I could find to vintage tread pattern and they look great.

KD

Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner (My Ride)
72 Six Day (Wifes Ride)
Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner
72 Six Day
73 Hare Scrambler
74 Hare Scrambler
74 Mint

OUCWBOY

Another tire that looks very close to the Metzler is the Cheng Shin. I don't know the model numbers off the top of my head, but I think it was something like C755 or something like that. And they even come in REAL vitage sizes, like 300 x21 or 350 x 18.

Donny Smith
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

slvrbrdfxr

I've been running some of the Cheng Shin C755's on my Steeltanker and on one of my Can Ams and they work just fine for me.
Dave McCullough

cubfan1968

Just asking the question. Do both of these brands fit correctly and not need surgery on the knobs to clear the chain guard?  

Rod Whitman
1972 Six Day (Rider)
1972 Six Day (Project)
Rod Whitman
Omaha, Nebraska
1972 Six Day (Rider)
1972 Six Day (Project)

OUCWBOY

Rod,
If you run the Cheng Shin 3.50 it will clear without problem. If you go to a 4.00, you might be in trouble.

Donny Smith
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

auto

check out a perrelli mt 16  very good match.I'm not sure how small they go

slvrbrdfxr

I agree with Donny. The 350 X 18 is the best choice and fits just fine without touching the chainguard. I think the 400 X 18 is a little too much tire for the bike to pull and I wouldn't run one on either my 100 or 125.
Dave McCullough

Dwight Rudder

The Pirelli MT16 110/100X18 ( formerly 400X18 ) and the matching front are a premium vintage competition tire suitable for 175cc and up.  This tire is almost perfect match to the old MT07 Pirelli from the early 70s. They make a 120/100 ( formerly 450X18 ) but it is huge and I use that in modern racing on my 525EXC.  The front MT16 is the best front tire for 21" wheels for vintage bikes.  Work great everywhere. For smaller tires I find the Cheng Shin C755 a suitable looking tire.  Looks like the Metzler MX / Enduro.  It comes in a very small 350X18, 4.10X18 which isn't much larger and a 4.60X18 which is about the same size as the 400X18 Pirelli.
Now Cheng Shin also makes a C183 Barum Copy which I use a lot on my small bores as it is much truer to size. They make a 300, 350, 400, and 450.
I find in most cases it is less squirrely than the C755 which is too soft a rubber and knobs squirm.  I use this 350 size on my Penton Six Day 125 and my Hodaka Combat Wombat.
Cher'o,
Dwight
( still on meds after back surgery )

Dwight Rudder
7 time ISDT / E medalist
8 time National Enduro Class Champion.

Rain Man

If you got to grind some knobs down,  I found my 4" grinder does the job ,with precision.  I strongly recommend covering up the brand new chrome rims and spokes. You wont have melted rubber all over the shiny chrome that way :(.

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons