Cleaning up the forks

Started by cubfan1968, March 31, 2006, 07:09:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cubfan1968

The forks I have on my project bike are scratched and dinged up.Is there a way to polish them up so they pass, or do I need to take more ($$$$) extreme measures.

Rod Whitman
1972 Six Day (Rider)
1972 Six Day (Project)
Rod Whitman
Omaha, Nebraska
1972 Six Day (Rider)
1972 Six Day (Project)

Chakka

Rod,

You can have them bead blasted. That will clean them but not get rid of deep scratches. Another option which I found quite by accident will remove scratches/gouges but will require lots of elbow grease. I dropped  a set of 35mm Ceriani sliders off at my local sandblasters along with 2 frames. I figured he would know enough to not use sand on the sliders...wrong! They came back scratch free but very dull and rough from the sand. I started the long process of wet sanding, 220, 400, 600 and bronze wool...finished with compound on my buffing wheel and clear coated them. They look great now, in hindsight I am happy he made the mistake.
Chris

farmer58za

Hi Rod
Depends what you define as "pass". Very often, a ding or a gouge will have an adjacent high spot where the alloy has shifted. Smooth these off with a fine file. Remove the file marks with fine emery paper.

Kitchen scouring powder on an old worn scotchbrite gives a nice satin finish.

Regards
David

Regards

David
'75 KTM GS250
'75 KTM GS400
Regards

David

OUCWBOY

Rod,
Are you talking about the fork legs (sliders) or the fork tubes?

Donny Smith
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

cubfan1968

I'm talking the slider tubes here.

Rod Whitman
1972 Six Day (Rider)
1972 Six Day (Project)
Rod Whitman
Omaha, Nebraska
1972 Six Day (Rider)
1972 Six Day (Project)

cubfan1968

Chris I used your method and its working great so far. Going to take alot of elbow grease but I can see results already.

Thanks

Rod Whitman
1972 Six Day (Rider)
1972 Six Day (Project)
Rod Whitman
Omaha, Nebraska
1972 Six Day (Rider)
1972 Six Day (Project)