ISDT Qualifier

Started by tlanders, April 05, 2006, 02:09:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dwight Rudder

Sachs D engines are required to ride Sportsman class. Sachs A & B engines are allowed in Classic.
No KTM engines are allowed in Classic.  1972 Jackpiner must run Sportsman.
Cher'o,
Dwight

Dwight Rudder
7 time ISDT / E medalist
8 time National Enduro Class Champion.

tmc3c

Greg has been seeing a doctor and I am not sure he will be coming.

Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

firstturn

Dwight,
  First of all our Prayers are with you for a speedy recovery.  Just curious....how does ARHMA determine if I am riding a bike with a Sachs D engine??  I am serious and this isn't made to be a trick question.  Thanks in advance.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

john durrill

Ron ,
 If your not riding for ARHMA points I dont know it would matter a great deal if you have a D or A/B alloy cylinder engine. If your using a Mikuni or a bigger Bing spigot mount than stock ,then a A/B cylinder might look like a D from the outside. I would weld a flange on an A/B cylinder and use the Mikuni type rubber spigot mount to install those carbs. That would look identical to a D cylinder to most folks.
 Adding the 2 extra transfer ports to to an A/B cylinder would make it better than the Monarch D cylinder porting specs I have. They did that to Zundapps and Sachs engine's in the late 60's early 70's.
 John D.

firstturn

John,
  Thanks for your input.  What I am getting at is I have heard what Dwight said before and I don't know how anyone can tell if I have a D cylinder on my bike.  The normal tell tell sign is of course the intake manifold.  The point is who at ARHMA knows the difference between a A, B or D  and if they do the fact is I have had ported cylinders(A & B) out perform D cylinders.
  Now if Dwight is talking about reed valve cylinders I would understand that a ARHMA tech would see the difference.  I was just wondering....no big deal.[8D]

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

bentrims

Thanks for the ISDTVQ input on classes for my 6 Days. Tentatively I may be going to Anza, CA riding a Monark. If things change my friend and I will be at the Arkansas race.
Thanks again.
Tom B

Knute

Hey Dwight,

Hope you're back is doing better man!  Regarding the legality of the D engine, you're starting to sound like a true Hodakaphile!  AHRMA does not require the D to run in the Sportsman class. The AHRMA Handbook outlines which bikes are legal for Classic 125 and it states "Pentons with Sachs engine" but doesn't mention B or D.  The confusing part of the Handbook is several lines later where they state "Any motorcycles powered by Sachs engines 125/5A or 6A, 125/5B or 6B" are eligible.  They later go on to state that Pentons with KTM engines are illegal in Classic 125.  

That said, they do not state that the D Penton is illegal in Classic 125 nor do they say the D Penton is required to run in Sportsman 125.  There is some debate over when the first Pentons arrived with the D engine (I say late 1974, others say 1975) but the D engines were available in a variety of different bikes in 1974.  

We started running AHRMA Nationals with a D GS Penton in Classic 125 back in 2001 and have been running it ever since.  Currently, there are quite a few other Pentons, Monarks, etc. running in Classic 125 with D engines (D, D GS, D GS Pro) and I have never witnessed a protest or disqualification regarding the D in Classic 125.  In fact, AHRMA Off-Road Coordinator Dave Boydstun was even running a D engined Penton in Classic 125 during the 2002 or 2003 season.

As far as IDing the D goes, I believe the biggest visual differences are that the D cylinder has 6 fins instead of 7, the fins have "V" shaped braces between them, and the intake manifold  bolts on.  But the bottom line is the mechanical differences between the B and the D are not that big and the B can be modified ("stuffed" crankcase inserts, porting, bolt-on intake, etc.) to run like the D if you desire, so making the D illegal would be pointless.

Kent Knudson
TEAM PENTOVARNA
Kent Knudson
Kevin Brown
Gary & Toni Roach
James & Adam Giddings

Dwight Rudder

Quotequote:Originally posted by tmc3c

Greg has been seeing a doctor and I am not sure he will be coming.

Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

Greg is through with the Chemo as of a week ago and is working to build himself up for the ride.  I spoke with him today and he is still planning on attending.
Cher'o,
Dwight

Dwight Rudder
7 time ISDT / E medalist

OUCWBOY

Kent,
If this helps any, have a July 74 Six Day with the D engine in it. Some call it a 74 1/2.

Donny Smith
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

Dwight Rudder

AHRMA RULE BOOK
SECTION 11 - VINTAGE MOTOCROSS
11.1.4 Classic 125
Any motorcycle powered by Sachs engines 125/5A or 6A, 125/5B or 6B
Limited to 32mm carb.
It doesn't say you can't run a D engine but the D engine didn't come out till 1975.  And if specifically mentions the A and B engines. Now some B engines were modified to GS or D type specs.
D engines have 6 fins and rubber carb manifolds that bolt to the cylinder. Also V fin webbing.
I thought I remember something about D engines having to be in Sportsman as well as 1974 PUCH.  But I don't see either mentioned now.  So I guess it is up to the interpretur.   I have also raced agains CZ and Husky in the Classic class with 38mm carbs.  Nobody protested them either.
Dwight

Dwight Rudder
7 time ISDT / E medalist

OUCWBOY

Dwight,
Hope you are healing quickly, and you are in our prayers. The D engine was actually available in May of 1974 from Sachs. Like I said, my July 74 Six Day has the D engine and it came that way.

Donny Smith
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

[email protected]

Quotequote:Originally posted by tlanders

Do you have a third Penton rider for a team???? Is Jaime on a Penton/KTM? Looking for Penton teams to beat the Hodaka teams!!!!

Teddy
Teddy I am not feeling the love :)
your friend Paul

firstturn

Ok, so after Will Roger, Mike Lewis and Johnny Bench we all feel we can run what you brung, as far as a Sachs powered machine, in the Classic or Sportsman class.  Are we all in agreement????  So once and for all this tale of not being able to run a D engine in these two class is put to rest, UNLESS YOU ARE RUNNING A REED VALVE.  OK OK????

That is why this site is so GREAT.  Thanks for everyones input.[^]

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Knute

Hey Dwight,
What are you doing up at 3:09am buddy?  Get some sleep!

Quotequote:Any motorcycle powered by Sachs engines 125/5A or 6A, 125/5B or 6B
Limited to 32mm carb.
It doesn't say you can't run a D engine but the D engine didn't come out till 1975. And if specifically mentions the A and B engines. Now some B engines were modified to GS or D type specs.
D engines have 6 fins and rubber carb manifolds that bolt to the cylinder. Also V fin webbing.
I already said all that stuff.

Quotequote:the D engine didn't come out till 1975.
The D was available in 1974 and there are lots of Pentons, Monarks, etc. to prove it.

Donny and Ron, I'm with you.  I have seen D engined Pentons as early as 406.  

Kent
TEAM PENTOVARNA
Kent Knudson
Kevin Brown
Gary & Toni Roach
James & Adam Giddings

bentrims

My curiousity gets me on one point that I bet a bunch of you can answer;

What did they use to stuff the crankase with on D motors? My modern bike CR 250 Honda has some very nice end caps that press on to the main bearing pin to minimize volume. Is this the area and/or do they also stuff the wrist pin?

Like most of us in here I am fascinated by getting just a little more out of the little mill.
Thanks,
Tom Benolkin