ISDT Qualifier

Started by tlanders, April 05, 2006, 02:09:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tlanders

Hey guys,

I just talked to the trail boss for the ride this month in Combs, Arkansas. He is laying out 3 new virgin trails for us and has moved the 5 lap grass track to a bigger, better location. It's going to be awesome this year. WHERE ARE ALL THE PENTON TEAMS????? Pre registration ends this Friday. Hurry up and get your entries in!!! The entry form is at http://www.ahrma.org/previews/ISDTVQ_entry.pdf

Teddy

Dennis Jones

Jamie's and My entry went in today. See you there

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

tlanders

Do you have a third Penton rider for a team???? Is Jaime on a Penton/KTM? Looking for Penton teams to beat the Hodaka teams!!!!

Teddy

pketchum

I'll be there on my '79 KTM 250 Teddy.  Will you be bringing a new Lectron for me so I can chase down and overtake the burly "Maico Man" from California?

My knee is fine now, and something "popped" in my hip the other day and it no longer hurts. Yippee!  The doc. said I probably had bursitus.  I am in rare form to overtake the German lawnmower man.

Phast
Phast Phil
Moderator, Hodaka Owners Group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Hodaka

Dennis Jones

Teddy I plan to ride my 77 Penton,Jamie is on a 79 KTM, Our 3rd Tommy Viers is on a brand X. Team - Off Constantly

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

pakala

Phast,
 The Jackpiner won't be ready, so yes the German buzzzzzsaw gets the nod.
 The handlebars have bein cut. Still a little chicken to go too fast through tight virgin single trak.I did not grow up in the back woods like you!!
 But when the Maico gets to the Grass track, she says Bye Bye. Nothing rails like a Maico.
 This will be EPIC!!!!!
                         Pablo (socal)

Larry Perkins

I would offer my services to any Penton team that needs another rider.

Larry P

firstturn

Larry,
  Great to see you back on the site.  I wish I could ride with you.  I'm sorry i missed you last Friday at Don's race.  I hope the Race Shop is doing well.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

bentrims

Larry,

I sent my entries off for Anza, CA but still need to lock down bikes. If I cannot find rent a bikes I could team with you. Never rode an ISDT or an Enduro before. What class would I sign up in with a 125 Six Days?
Thanks,
Tom B

pakala

Tom,
 ISDTVQ Combs Ark. is a 23 hour drive for me, Anza ca. is 1 hour drive for me. I am going to Arkansas that should give an ideal how great this event is. Give it a try and you will be back every year!!!
                    Paul (socal)

bentrims

Paul,
That is pretty amazing to take the drive willingly. Is the ISDTVQ all hills twisting through the woods? Driving from Jefferson, TX through Arkansas every year is beautiful landscape.

bentrims

I need some help with the entry form being that I need to send it Friday. Do I sign up for Classic? Sportsman 200? With a 73 125 6 Day.
TB

pakala

Stolen from vinduro group:
Teddy's busier than I've ever seen him.  He actually took the time to call me
while he was at the T-shirt manufacturer (for this event).  I'll see if I can't
fill you in a little bit on the differences between Day 1 and Day 2.  See this
link which will give you a boatload of information to assimilate
http://www.ahrma.org/previews/isdtvq.htm  One thing it does not mention is the
new trail that Rick Owens (vintage friendly Trail Master extrordinaire) has cut.
Also, check out the picture of where you'll be camping at
http://razorbackriders.com (see the main page).

Day 1 is the long day (if you can call it that).  It usually has somewhere
around 40 mi. of terrain for us to cross.  If you ride fast you'll arrive at
each checkpoint at least 20 minutes early which is meant to be spent chatting
with your friends and making new ones.  I *think* that at the end of Day 1 there
will be the tire-changing contest which is a real hoot to watch.  Some of those
guys could give Dwighty a run for his money.  After the riding there's the
bragging and camraderie around the campfire and dinner is usually supplied for
$6.00 and is brought in from a local who can really cook.  I'd highly recommend
it.

Day 2 is a lighter day with 20-25 mi. of trail to cover.  At the end of Day 2
there's the 5-lap grass track motocross and the award ceremony.  Last year I
think I made it back to Kansas City by 10:00pm (4:15 drive).  It's the one event
besides the ISDTRR that I plan on riding a year in advance.  The people are very
friendly and the riding area is GREAT.  If rain is in the forecast don't sweat
it - it rained last year and I was worried.  However, the terrain is very
hardpacked (in some places rocky) but the year Rick Owens laid out the trail it
was VERY vintage friendly.  The puddles seem to have rock bottoms and don't
become mud-infested quicksand either.  Most of the trails slip alongside the
hillside so the water doesn't have much of an opportunity to accumulate.

I'm planning on camping if the weather forecast looks promising, otherwise I
will motel it north of Combs, AR in Fayetteville.  I've stayed south before but
it requires a lot of driving switchbacks to get there and isn't worth the 10 mi.
difference in distance.

Phil

Dwight Rudder

Man, I hate that I am going to miss this event. It is becoming a MUST DO event like the ISDTR. I will be there next year. Who knows what I might be riding then. Penton Jackpiner, SIX DAY, Hercules K100GS, Hodaka,or Ossa.  I also heard that the Vinduro VISDT trail ride would be open to a few more riders next year and it would be at New Blaine, Ark.  Lynn Burton will be hosting it.  In the past it has been mostly hosted by Vinduro founder Andre Ming and limited to 15 riders.  It usually is a real hoot. The only play ride I go to each year if that tells you something.  Arkansas is a great place to ride.
Remember me while you are there.
Dwight
(recovering from back surgery)

Dwight Rudder
7 time ISDT / E medalist
8 time National Enduro Class Champion.

tlanders

Tom Benolkin,

You would have so much fun at this you wouldn't be able to erase the grin for weeks!!!! Sportsman 200 or Classic would be the two best choices. Obviously in the Sportsman 200 class, there will be 100 to 175 cc bikes. You would get to compete against ISDT expert veteran Greg Holder who I think is going to ride a Hodaka against his will, he would rather ride a Penton!!! Reed valves are allowed in the sportsman class even if they didn't originally come on the bike. In the Classic class, the bikes are not limited by size, so you might be up against some 250 and 400cc bikes (so what says Tom). The class is just limited by bike age, 1971 or older. Your Six Day Penton is allowed to ride the Classic class even if it is a 1975 model as long as it has the Sachs engine in it and no reed valve. Someone convinced AHRMA that the Sachs transmission was enough of a deterrent to the bikes performance to allow post 1971 Six Days and any bike with a Sachs engine to ride the Classic class even though they are really too new to do so.

The only problem that I see about you entering this event is that the trees will be permanently bent forward after you pass them!!! Tazmanian angel??? I hope you come!!!!

Teddy