Cable Routing

Started by 454MRW, April 08, 2006, 02:31:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

454MRW

Is there any diagrams or references for correct cable routing on a 77 MC5 or other Pentons for that matter? None of the manuals I have show the cable routing or cable tie placments. Mike

Michael R. Winter
1974 250 Harescrambler
1975 250 HS Project
1977 250 MC5 Project
1978 250 MX6  
1979 250 KTM Project
1980 250 MX KTM
Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1976 Penton MC5 400
1977 KTM MC5 125
1978 KTM 78 GS6 250
L78-79 MX6 175-250 KTM\\\'s
1976-78 125-400 RM\\\'s
2007 CR125R Honda
1977 MC250 Maico
2017 KTM Freeride 250R

KJDonovan

I have the same question for a 72 JP.  I am putting everything back together and have no clue where to route the clutch, throttle and choke cables.

Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner (My Ride)
72 Six Day (Wifes Ride)
Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner
72 Six Day
73 Hare Scrambler
74 Hare Scrambler
74 Mint

imported_n/a

Same here for my 74 Six Day. Converting MX to Enduro. Have all lights, wiring harness, etc. and would like to get it all hooked up/routed correctly. Any assistance/input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks,

Chris H.

imported_n/a

whoops, I posted the last wiring reply/question under the wrong topic, but could also use some pointers on cable routing [^]

chris h.

TGTech

Gentlemen:

Like anything else in this vintage game, there are two different perspectives on doing a resoration. If you're aiming at use instead of "correctness", then route the wires and cables in the most efficient manner. With the cables, making sure that they have as few bends as possible and and were protected as best as possible was how we did things. With the wires, making sure that they were protected from brush was the first thought. One other note on wires: if you're using zip ties, under no circumstances, do you want to pull them down tight. You can actually ground out a wire by doing this.

Unfortunately, on the side of doing things according to the way that KTM originally put the bikes together, I don't have a clue, simply because I was always doing things as I mentioned above. That was the whole purpose of the machines in the first place: to be the best they could be and to be ridden.

Dane

454MRW

Dane,
That only leaves on important question that there is differing opinion. Do the cables actually go through the holes behind the steering head, or simply beside it under the gas tank? Thanks, Mike

Michael R. Winter
1974 250 Harescrambler
1975 250 HS Project
1977 250 MC5 Project
1978 250 MX6  
1979 250 KTM Project
1980 250 MX KTM
Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1976 Penton MC5 400
1977 KTM MC5 125
1978 KTM 78 GS6 250
L78-79 MX6 175-250 KTM\\\'s
1976-78 125-400 RM\\\'s
2007 CR125R Honda
1977 MC250 Maico
2017 KTM Freeride 250R

Doug Wilford

Cable routing is as Dane explained, as few bends as possibleand personal preferance.  A few tips:  Don't let the cables ride against the exhaust pipe.  Make sure there is enough loop in the throttle, choke and clutch cable so the handlebars can be moved to both stops without creating tension on the cables.  The front brake cable I try to route to the back of the fork legs, make sure it won't get pinched in the fork stops, this is so brush and branchs are less likely to get ahold of the cable.   Personally I route my throttle cable with the loop on my side of the handlebars, by rotating the throttle with the cble outlet pointing at your chest, again less chance of branches or overtaking riders of catching or getting ahold of it.  In most cases I route the electric wires on the right side of the frame,(away from the exhaust pipe)   This is a little more difficult for the wireing going to the brake and tail light but can be done without rubbing the exhaust pipe.  These tips are from my experiences with the Steel Tankers and early CMFs, there may be better ways for the 250s and 400s.   Hope this helps.  Have fun!

Rain Man

Mike, I know the holes your talking about and you dont want to put the cables threw them.  Its too much of a bend and makes the cable to rigid or tight.  Also when you turn the wheel it will make your engine rev up.  It also cause premature cable wear.  I usually run my cable and wires right inside of the leather tank strap front mount.    
  keeps them tucked away nicely.

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

DKWRACER

As an added bonus to cable routing, there is a published record noted in the Winter 2002 of "Still....Keeping Track" An article by Kent Knudson shows his methods of cable routing and how he takes special precautions to set up a winning Penton in general. Well worth the reading! :D Tom Brosius
Thomas Brosius

fasmith

Mike

I might be able to help.  The 1977 Penton 400 GS6 I bought - I would say that it is has all the original locations of cables and electrical wiring still intact since it sat in a tack room with a tarp over it since April of 1977 until I purchased it.  The wiring, cable ties, and cable routing - I have not disturbed.   I will send you pictures of the wires and cable routing if you wish.  

Freddie

Knute

DKW Tom,

Thanks for the good "review".  I would be happy to send a copy of the 3 articles I did on setting up Penton race bikes to anyone who is interested.  

Mike, for original cable routing try Penton brochures and old magazine articles.  My articles show the routing I use on our race bikes, which is different than the original routing.  If they would be helpful just let me know.

Take care,
Kent Knudson
TEAM PENTOVARNA
Kent Knudson
Kevin Brown
Gary & Toni Roach
James & Adam Giddings

linglewn

This was a very timely post. Yesterday I installed the cables on a 72 JP project. I ended up with the throttle and choke cables inside the tank strap wire on the left side of the frame, and the clutch cable inside the wire on the right side. Definitely not through the holes in the frame gusset. If I put them outside the strap wire, the tank tended to put a crimp in the cables. This sounds like the recommendation that Rain Man made earlier.

Nelson Lingle
Nelson Lingle
73 Jackpiner
74 Jackpiner
71 DKW 125