Tap and Die needed

Started by skiracer, April 17, 2006, 12:26:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skiracer

In working on my 1981 175 KTM, I have found that the last person to open the cases, did not do a good job re-installing the bolt that holds the shaft for the kick starter and the spring on top of it.  I am looking to buy a tap and die to run through the treads to clean it up.  It is around 21MM in diameter.  Of course I would have to get the exact size and tread, but, I am looking for someone that sells larger sizes in taps and dies..........Any suggestions?  James
1976 250 MC5 Original Owner
1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa

Dennis D

I get a lot of my odd size taps through my local NAPA
store. If that doesn't work, call a local machine shop
and see where they buy theirs at. Mcmaster Carr (SP?)
is also a good source. Some of the bigger and odd pitch
metric taps and dies get expensive. Dennis D

skiracer

Dennis,

Thanks, spelling was correct.  What a great source.  I guess I will need to buy a thread guage in order to know what size it is, and yes, the bigger taps do get expensive!  Thanks again!  James
Quotequote:Originally posted by Dennis D

I get a lot of my odd size taps through my local NAPA
store. If that doesn't work, call a local machine shop
and see where they buy theirs at. Mcmaster Carr (SP?)
is also a good source. Some of the bigger and odd pitch
metric taps and dies get expensive. Dennis D
1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa

Dennis D

You are most welcome. Buy good quality taps and dies.
If you have ever broken one off you know what I mean!
Dennis D

t20sl

James:  You can also try Edco Tool and Supply.  They are a large mail order tool dist.  800--528-4444.  As mentioned buy a decent name.  Vermont, Cleveland Forge, Hanson etc...  HSS steel for sure!  For just one hole you can get by with a lesser quality tap maybe. Ted

skiracer

Thanks Ted!  I am one to always buy good tools.  I will let you know how I make out.  James
Quotequote:Originally posted by t20sl

James:  You can also try Edco Tool and Supply.  They are a large mail order tool dist.  800--528-4444.  As mentioned buy a decent name.  Vermont, Cleveland Forge, Hanson etc...  HSS steel for sure!  For just one hole you can get by with a lesser quality tap maybe. Ted
1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa

TGTech

James,

I use MSC for most of my machinist stuff. Here's the link:

http://www1.mscdirect.com/cgi/nnsrhm

They are usually cheaper than McMaster Carr.

Dane

Merlin

............Dane is is right,MSC is the place for machine tooling and related items such as the tap you need,McMaste Carr on the other hand is a good source for most common metric hardware and other types of assorted things,ie fittings,tubing,felt to name a couple............
Quote: Thomas Jefferson, We are all born ignorant, some work to remain that way.
 Quote:Peter Villacaro, \\"it is impossible to teach those that wish not to be taught\\".

Merlin

.............I just started using this source for,mills,drills,left and right hand thread metric taps and dies,victornet.com..........very nice to deal with,prompt shipping and good pricing....................
Quote: Thomas Jefferson, We are all born ignorant, some work to remain that way.
 Quote:Peter Villacaro, \\"it is impossible to teach those that wish not to be taught\\".

firstturn

Merlin,
  Thanks for the tip.  Some of the tools can be hard to find quickly and it is always good to have another source.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

slvrbrdfxr

Hi,
Another source for tooling is Grainger. There is a Grainger store locally here in Tulsa and they carry quite a bit in the way of tap/dies and other machine tools even in the larger sizes. They also have a huge catalog you can order from online at //www.grainger.com . Hope this helps. Good luck !!
Dave McCullough