Trans Oil - again!!

Started by Keithuu, April 18, 2006, 10:38:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keithuu

OK, OK, I know it's been discussed before but after reviewing all the old posts I can't discern any kind of consensus on the transmission oil issue. I'm currently using Bel Ray 80W trans oil (looks like 30W motor oil to me, lovely red color!) in my '75 250 but if I adjust the cable to eliminate the annoying clutch drag, it seems to slip a little on roll-on.

Since I'm pretty confident the clutch and cable are A-OK, I'm looking at a lesser-viscosity lube as a possible solution. ATF seems to be the goop of choice and doesn't sound bad. However, is there a type of ATF preferred?[:p]

Keithuu
Keithuu

Dwight Rudder

Here is a letter I got some time back from Maxima oil.  I have worked with them for years on testing and actual use.  Take it for what it is worth to you.  Maxima does make a 75wt. Gear lube. Extra Light. MTL-XL.  Also you may have some warped clutch plates ?
Dwight

======================================================================
Dwight,

Of course there are always many views when it comes to oils.  The most
important thing for anyone to do is to use an oil that's trusted and made
specifically for motorcycles.

There are certain components that are in use in the marketplace that can
have adverse effects on certain materials.  Like most everything else this
topic is not as simple as it sounds.  There are actually different types of
sulfur - you can have a sulfur additive blended together with other
components to where they act together as opposed to free sulfur that is
scavenging for metal surfaces and that can cause problems with softer
metals.

Our gear oils will outperform an ATF fluid in a motorcycle gear box because
it is designed for use in that environment.  One big area of improvement is
that our MTL fluids use Group II+ base oils as opposed to the use of
napthenics in ATF.  Napthenics are cheaper, have a lower viscosity index
and are much dirtier than the higher quality Group II+ fluid.

Not giving away any formulas, but does he or she ever make an argument for
sulfur as far as providing superior slide friction reduction (like when the
gears mesh) - here, sulfur is very good.  A four-ball wear test will show
very well when sulfur is present.

Bottom line is that our MTL fluids are very successful and sell well.  I'll
let that speak for itself.

Sincerely,

Danny

Dwight Rudder
7 time ISDT / E medalist
8 time National Enduro Class Champion.

Keithuu

Dwight;
Thanks for the heavy duty info. I don't think the plates are bad cuz' the engine was rebuilt by a pro but one never knows, do one?

I think I will try the Maxima before I go to straight ATF. Obviously I believe in real "gear oil" being the path to true transmission righteousness but we do what we have to do. Thanks again.

Keithuu
Keithuu

Rain Man

Keithuu,   Im not positive, but I think that particular years disk are unobtainable [?] if so, the plates could be x years old.  
  If the slipping persist after trying different oils, you could take up on the pressure plate screws a bit.  Also use an indicator to get that plate within some resonable amount of run out.

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

Dwight Rudder

I suggest if you need a thinner oil maybe blend 50/50 ATF and MTL.
Got to be better than straight ATF and they will mix.
Dwight

Dwight Rudder
7 time ISDT / E medalist
8 time National Enduro Class Champion.

Kip Kern

The 175cc clutch plates, all years (organic) were the ones unobtainable.  I talked to EMGO at the Dealer Show in Indy, gave them a set, and they are in the process of producing the organic and steel plates for Al Buehner to offer to us Poggers (if the appropriate deal is struck).  Hopefully, in the near future, they will be plentiful again!   Thanks to EMGO and Al!;)

Randy Kirkbride

And also... Thanks to Kip, too.

Keithuu

The MTL is ordered. I shall report.[^]

Keithuu
Keithuu

tlanders

How often do you guys change your oil? For the last couple years, I have been changing oil after every race weekend, hence the use of ATF because of price. This year I have only changed oil if I have power washed the bike. So far this seems to be working out, the oil looks good that I am draining. I try to minimize the times I power wash the bikes because of all the damage it does, water gets into every where you don't want it.

Teddy