Rims from Walridge

Started by linglewn, May 01, 2006, 09:46:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

linglewn

I received the rims and spokes that I ordered from Mike at Walridge today and I laced them onto the hubs tonight. They really look good. I was concerned at first because the spokes were shorter than the stock ones on both 72 JPs that I have. I called Mike, and he explained that some Pentons come with a "cross 4" pattern, but the new rims are drilled for a "cross 2" pattern and that the shorter spokes will work. He was right. Thanks to Kip Kern and others that recommended Walridge.

Nelson Lingle
Nelson Lingle
73 Jackpiner
74 Jackpiner
71 DKW 125

Rain Man

Nelson, how long was the lead time?

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

linglewn

Raymond,
When I placed the order, they said that the rims were at the port and had cleared customs. It was about 2 weeks later when they were delivered.

Nelson Lingle
Nelson Lingle
73 Jackpiner
74 Jackpiner
71 DKW 125

socalmx

Just remember that a cross two pattern is not as strong as a cross three or four pattern. For a racing bike, the least I would use is a cross three pattern.

Rain Man

Another little trick the old school fellas did with the cross 2 pattern was to safety tie the spokes where they overlap. Cheap little spoke reinforcement trick.

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

linglewn

I realize the advantage of the cross 4 pattern, but this bike will primarily be admired rather than raced, and Mike said the rims were drilled for cross 2 and he didn't stock the longer spokes. Anyone ordering rims might want to question him on the subject.

Nelson Lingle
Nelson Lingle
73 Jackpiner
74 Jackpiner
71 DKW 125

BobJones

I'm restoring a 69 six day and the rims & spokes are rusted bad. What was the price on rims & spokes? Are the spokes chrome? My rims are pitted so bad I think it would be a waste of time to re-chrome them? Also there is a front on e-bay that looks pretty good but the spokes look painted.

Bob Jones
Show-me state
74 Harescrambler,72 Jackpiner,69 6-Day

Bob Jones
Show-me state
(2)74 Harescramblers,72 Jackpiner,68/69 6-Day,73 Harescrambler.

socalmx

Out west, the primary reason the desert rats safety wired or zip-tied their spokes was to keep them out of harms way in the event that they broke.

cubfan1968

Finally I got my rims today. I wasn't as fortunate as Nelson as to the speed of delivery, I ordered mine in January.

Another example of the Brits trying to keep a Nebraska brother down.

Rod Whitman
1972 Six Day (Rider)
1972 Six Day (Project)
Rod Whitman
Omaha, Nebraska
1972 Six Day (Rider)
1972 Six Day (Project)

Rain Man

Hi Mr. Bob Jones, to answer your question, I purchased a couple of sets of spokes, front and rear, Stainless steel for my 73 Jackpiner  wheels for a 150 + or- bucks from Waldridge.  The rims we're 85 bucks a piece + shipping from Ottawa to Maine.  Now with a 70 dollar tire and a set of bearings of course, thats almost $225 bucks for a brand new shiny wheel.  And of course... doing the work your self.
  What else, tubes, rim locks,

Now my show bikes ready to go through any rock gardens, mud holes, off the jumps, over the cliffs, through the rivers... out there !!

effortlessly

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

linglewn

The price of the Radaelli rims was $115.40 Canadian each ($102.60 US) and the spokes/nipples were $47.75 Canadian ($42.45 US) per set. The spokes that I ordered are galvanized, which Mike calls the standard spoke, but you can order stainless or I think chrome for roughly twice as much money. The standard spokes are nice and shiny and smooth. The shipping to Tennessee was pretty high, almost $35. US. If you add that all up, it came to $324.66 US. Good luck.

Nelson Lingle
Nelson Lingle
73 Jackpiner
74 Jackpiner
71 DKW 125

BobJones

Thanks for the info. New still might be the way to go I think re-chroming might set me back as much.

Bob Jones
Show-me state
74 Harescrambler,72 Jackpiner,69 6-Day

Bob Jones
Show-me state
(2)74 Harescramblers,72 Jackpiner,68/69 6-Day,73 Harescrambler.

t20sl

Are the holes the correct size for the original nipples?  I was told they were slightly small on the front if you use OEM nipples??

linglewn

Sorry, I can't answer that. My nipples were so rusty that I didn't even think to try. Unless you have a "cross 2" OEM wheel, the spokes won't fit the new rims, and if you order the spokes from Walridge, they come with new nipples.

Nelson Lingle
Nelson Lingle
73 Jackpiner
74 Jackpiner
71 DKW 125

lksseven

Hi Bob,

I had spokes and nipples on my 74 6day cadmium-coated, along with a bunch of hardware (bolts, nuts, brake pedal, etc).  They turned out looking great!

The coating company in Tulsa charged $4/pound with a $75 minimum.  I was taking the hardware to be coated anyway, so it was like getting the spokes/nipples coated for free.  20 pounds covers a lot of bolts and nuts and spokes - I was pleased with the results.   Here is a pic of the coated spokes on the hub   http://www.wordcom.com/penton/dsc00626.jpg .   Another pic of the cadmium-coated spokes in the newly rechromed rim ... http://www.wordcom.com/penton/dsc00631.jpg

Larry Seale
I choose to ride
Larry Seale
I choose to ride...slower and slower all the time