I think it is a 69 or 70 125cc Steel Tanker.......

Started by AndyL, May 08, 2006, 11:16:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndyL

At the auto swap meet in Lawrence, KS this Sat, I did some swapping and ended up with this:
http://target.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/aj67ss00/album?.dir=73a4re2&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//target.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos

Frame number is V4531, engine number is 6551122, and 1251/5A.  It is pretty rough but I have saved bikes starting from far less.

Is this one too far gone to save?  I guess I could always part it out, but dont usually do that.

I am in no hurry as it would become a long term project.  Probably wont go back to stock, probably stick with a plastic tank and fenders. They cylinder and piston look ok, carb is missing the float bowl, electrics look to be all there, no pipe or tank.

Andy
#14u MOVMX and AHRMA
75 Jackpiner
92 KTM 300
Andy
#14u
MOVMX, AMA, AHRMA

firstturn

Andy L,
  Neat find[:p].  Seat base looks great and frame looks good.  Bike is almost complete except as you mentioned the tanks.  I think you hit a home run....I think it is a very late '69.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

thrownchain

Take lots of pictures and go for it.There is definately enuff there to start with, and the challenge could be fun.[^]

Doug Wilford

Not for sure but it is at least a late 1970, good find, Sorry Ron it has the swing arm bolt gussets.

Rain Man

OOh  OOh  Zokes on the rear, Can I have first divies on the rear shocks??:D   Those fit a 76 and later, maybe even your 75 JP.. depending on the swing arm.

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

OUCWBOY

I have to agree with Doug, Frame with the down pipe mount, aluminum cylinder engine (if original) and the long seat, all say 70 to me.

Donny Smith
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

firstturn

Brain fade.....I meant to say very late '70.  At least I didn't go back and change my post and really confuse everyone reading this later[:p].

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

AndyL

Thanks for the info Ron, Donny, Doug, Thrownchain and Raymond.  You guys are the best.  I was thinking it was 69, but I am ok with it being a 70.

The plan is to use a Super Rat that I also picked up at the swap meet as a way to generate some cash to rebuild the Penton.  Always wanted to dig into a Sachs motor.

Raymond:  I did notice the shocks and I think they will fit my Piner as it has the laydown mounting location on the swingarm.  But if I dont use them, I will get ahold of you first.

Now my questions:
Where can I see a picture of what a 70 with a down pipe SHOULD look like?
Donny mentioned a down pipe mount; where can I find a down pipe for it?
And what about the tank?  Are they easy to find or should I go plastic?  I do have a couple of old (and a bit beat) 75+ GS tanks, think I could make one work on that frame?
And if I do find a tank, what color should it be? Green?

Thanks again and I am sure more questions will follow.

I put a picture of my Piner and the other swapmeet find in the picture album as well.

Andy
#14u MOVMX and AHRMA
75 Jackpiner
92 KTM 300
Andy
#14u
MOVMX, AMA, AHRMA

Rain Man

Very nice looking Piner Andy,[8D] wow !! and from the looks of your present shocks, you wont be using those Zochs, I certainly wouldn't[:p]  Rocket can rebuild  them either way, and they work fine all souped up again !!
  I have a 1970 steel tanker too, it runs and shifts great...  but its all original with the tires and all ..to bad the POG dosent have a running rat bike category yet :D
hhmm

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

rob w

AndyL

Thanks for the picture of the 69 Rob.  And Raymond; (thanks for the compliment) I get to do some mx in the MOVMX series, and some trail riding so the JP doesnt get much of a workout.  It is a backup bike for the +40 PV class and when the track is muddy, it is always off the trailer FIRST.

I checked the cylinder of the Steeltanker and it is at 55.75mm, which I would assume is the last bore.  The bore is in pretty good shape and maybe with some rings for the ELKO piston, I could get it back to life.

Still thinking.............

Andy
#14u MOVMX and AHRMA
75 Jackpiner
92 KTM 300
Andy
#14u
MOVMX, AMA, AHRMA

Rain Man

Bob, you should know better than playing on the tracks, especially with a brand new steel tanker.
 BTW,  did the train git yer fenders [8D]

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

rob w

Raymond,

I play on those tracks Monday thru Friday, flattening pennys at lunchtime.  
 Fenders, shmenders......what happened to the rear frame loop.
 At least it still has the precious narrow front fender bracket.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If anyone else needs a new rear frame loop for a S.T., let me know, as long as I'm making one...two or three more is no trouble.

Has anyone ever purchased, or seen, the '68/69 Penton seat base that RPM Fiberglass makes ?

What am I going to do about the "68 ISDT" gas tank decal, that is a must for a '69. ?

Also Wanted: Steel Tank handlebars

Thanks for any and all of your help.
Bob

crash carden

Hello Bob, nice old steel tanker! Hey guess who's "68" steel tanker also needs a rear frame loop? Yep that would be me [:I],and I beleive it is broke off in about the same place as yours. So if you want to make me up one as well let me know what you will charge and I will send you a check. Thanks, Crash Carden

OUCWBOY

Bob,
I bought one of those fiberglass seat bases a few years ago. I never used it and either sold it or gave it away. There are no holes drilled into it, which is a good thing, because the little raised section where the holes are meant to go, didn't line up with the holes on my frame.

Donny Smith
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR