tim bowers

Ihave a chance to buy a 1979 KTM 420.
Would this be a good Evo bike. I have
ridden the Open class most of my racing
life, but usually on Hondas.

Thanks for the help guys........
TB

Larry Perkins

The KTM 420 was a good open class ride where there weren't lots of killer straights.  Then some of the 500s would eat it up.  I rode one in the 84 Barstow to Vegas and faired decent.  The biggest drawback to making it an EVO racer is that pistons are really hard to come by.  Are you sure it is a 79?  I did not think they made them that early.

tim bowers

The guy who is selling said it was, so
I checked on the website that I had
posted on POG last night for everyone
to check-out and it looks like the 79
model that is listed there. Orange forks,
triple trees, orange frame etc. That website
has pictures of most of the Penton/KTMs
made by year. I hope people were able to
view it.

Thanks again Larry, I appreciate and value
your responses.

Larry Perkins

Oh well can't win them all.  I was out of motorcycle racing from 78 to 83 racing BMX.  So my knowledge lames about them.  It is a good day when we learn something.

nsujeff

Hey Tim , Check out  http.//www.ktm495.co.uk
 There is info on the 495 a very similar bike to the 420. A few pictures of my 495 are there too.
Good Luck,Jeff in Amherst,Ohio - Home of the Penton!-

Jeffrey P. Borer
Jeffrey P. Borer
Amherst,Ohio

tim bowers

Thanks Jeff, That's a great website. 123.5
mph into the first turn would be fun......

Heinz Raidel

I was ready to tell you all for a fact there wasn't a 420 untill 1980; seems my memory isn't what it used to be either- I'm looking at a "KTM Motor Typ 56-420ccm" manual, dated "Edition Mai 1979".

\\"Sometimes the only mark we make in life is in our shorts.\\"

Heinz Raidel

Edited by - Heinz Raidel on 08/23/2001  9:39:43 PM
\\"Sometimes the only mark we make in life is in our shorts.\\"

imported_n/a

I'm a new member of the Penton Owners Group and have just started monitoring the forums.  I owned a 420 KTM that I purchased new in early July of 1979, although the model was MC-80 420.  It was a very fine machine that I wish I still owned.

tim bowers

Thanks Heinz and Glenn. Your responses
are greatly appreciated. I am now
hearing that the 420 piston is a rare
commodity. It would be nice to know
if there are some still around before
I make a decision.

Thanks again to all who have reponded.
You've been a big help........

TB

imported_n/a

Tim, I don't know how many 420s were made to get an idea of whatever parts were available 20 years ago.

As a curiosity, I searched my basement last night and found the original motor tag that was attached to my 420 when I purchased it.  The production information is as follows:

Type 56 420
Nr. 9-5600515
Lfd. Nr. 422
Motor-Prod. Tag: 7,5,79
verbaut am: 9.5.79

I also found the original sales receipt from my dealer.  My 420 was ordered May 21, 1979, and delivered to me July 2, 1979.  The purchase price was $2,200, plus tax.

Good luck on finding your piston.

Glenn

Olmy

I have an 83' 495.  I wanted an original bore piston for it.  I had to send away to england for it.  I have heard that the piston is still available through KTM but I think it is one of those things you order and they never come in.  I have been to swap meets and have seen a couple pistons for the 420 but that was last year.  I have not had a chance to go to any yet this year.  Just gonna have to try everywhere but one will turn up someplace.  Don't leave any stone unturned... gets exciting when ya actually do find a part.

Jeff D

I'm not sure if or how this relates to the 420s, but last year we had a heckuva time trying to locate an overbore piston for Kevin Lavoie's 1981 KTM390 in time for the ISDT Reunion Ride.  I think he found one through Barry Higgins H & H KTM.  I'm not sure how the 390 relates to the 420 but my understanding is they were the same engine with top end mods for ISDT class displacement rules..possibly shorter stroke, I don't know.  In any event, the piston was supposed to be available through KTM but my local dealer found them to be on eternal backorder and Kevin was lucky to finally find what he needed at Barry's shop.  He had the bike at the Reunion Ride last year, it looked gorgeous and it ripped!  Hopefully he'll return with it again this October.
Jeff DeBell (who can't wait for the Reunion Ride!!!)

Jeff DeBell
Jeff DeBell

Jeff D

I'm not sure if or how this relates to the 420s, but last year we had a heckuva time trying to locate an overbore piston for Kevin Lavoie's 1981 KTM390 in time for the ISDT Reunion Ride.  I think he found one through Barry Higgins H & H KTM.  I'm not sure how the 390 relates to the 420 but my understanding is they were the same engine with top end mods for ISDT class displacement rules..possibly shorter stroke, I don't know.  In any event, the piston was supposed to be available through KTM but my local dealer found them to be on eternal backorder and Kevin was lucky to finally find what he needed at Barry's shop.  He had the bike at the Reunion Ride last year, it looked gorgeous and it ripped!  Hopefully he'll return with it again this October.

Jeff DeBell
Jeff DeBell

Jeff D

Jeff DeBell
Jeff DeBell