BOY THERE SURE ARE ALOT OF PENTONS HERE

Started by Larry Perkins, August 27, 2001, 06:55:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry Perkins

"Boy there sure are alot of Pentons here."

Just got back from the AHRMA Nationals at Portland Michigan where I overheard this from a spectator.  There were alot of Pentons and as has been the case the whole season they won more than their share of the wood.  There were at least a couple of names I  did not get so my report is semi-complete.  But here is what I do remember.  

In the Vintage Motocross National Kevin Brown scored his usual double Expert win in 250 and age class aboard his alloy-tanked  Harescrambler.  Dave Winthrow scored a 5th in 500 Sportsman Novice on top of his Lucas built Mint 400.

In the Cross Country National the wild ride of the day was put in by Texan Chris Richardson on a 77 MC5 400 also Lucas built.  This was Chris' first Cross Country and he not only won Post Vintage Expert but if there were an overall he was it.  Second in Post Vintage Expert was Don Rainey on an ex Don Baker Baja bike an MC5.  I won Post Vintage Intermediate on my 75 Harescrambler that coincidentally is also Lucas built. Jesse Livingston won 250 Sportsman Novice piloting a 74 Harescrambler that was done by Vintage Iron.

In the Post Vintage Motocross National it just kept happening.  Wins for Pentons that is.  Chris Richardson won Historic 500 Expert on his MC5.  I won Historic 250 Intermediate on my Cross Country bike after my MC5 developed troubles before practice.  I also took second in Historic 500 Intermediate on my MC5 400.  Yes, it was built by Bobby.  Dave Withrow had another great ride on his KTM in 250 GP Novice.  I know I missed a couple and appologize to those.

Synopsis of the race courses:
The MX track ruled.  It was sandy(duh-It's Michigan).  Sandy makes for great traction in corners and lots of choppy terrain where a great handling scooter has an advantage(if you are into Zen that smells like Penton)  Sundays Post Vintage track added some launcher jumps that the Vintage guys went around on Sat.  The Penton Man LOVES to jump.  In case you ever wondered, an MC5 400 can clear a 30 foot table top with room to spare and do a tail-whip in the interim.  It can even be done with a 75 Harescrambler but it is alot harder landing.  My butt can attest this.

The Cross Country course was a combo of tight woods(in Vintage terms) and parts of the MX track.  The woods was a blast and two wood bridges kept you on your toes or face depending on your physics knowledge dealing with the interface of wood-rubber-H2O.  It was well run and well scored.  The only problem is that AHRMA Cross Country has become synonymous with RAIN.  

"Boy there sure are alot of Pentons here."

Doug Wilford

Thanks for the report, sounds like another fun week-end.

tim bowers

Glad you had fun Larry. Portland has always
been one of my favorite tracks for vintage
and for modern style bikes. I love the MX
track but hate the harescramble track. I
am not a harescrambler. Those guys are TOUGH!