LH upper motor mount

Started by wildman, May 30, 2006, 06:39:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wildman

Does the upper left hand motor mount, the one the frame brace bolts to, have a great deal of stress on it? I raced my 75 250 this weekend at Log Road and was shocked to see oil leaking out the top of the clutch cover. This area had been previously welded by past owners but had never leaked a drop until the second moto. I hoped the gasket had sucked in somehow but on disassembly it looked fine. A straightedge ruler revealed a small bow in the gasket area and my imagination see's a crack next to the weld. It might have been there before and I just need  a little sealer. I removed the cover this winter and worked on the clutch and replaced the gasket then. This was the first ride since then. I was riding real hard and wonder how much stress is on that area of the engine case. Anyone else have any experience in this area? I know better than to run without these braces so they must do something. Thanks, Wildman
PS. 2 motos, 2 holeshots and I won 250 Sportsman Novice. Now if I could only learn to do jumps.

1975 250 Cross Country, 1974 175 Jackpiner, 1975 125
1975 250 Cross Country, 1974 175 Jackpiner, 1975 125

TGTech

Wildman,

My first suggestion, is to check all the other engine mounts and frame out to be sure that they're OK. If something else lets go elsewhere, that will add extra stress to that one mount and could cause the leakage that your experiencing.

Dane

Rain Man

congradulations on your win there Wildman,  It feels good on a 30
y/o bike dont it !!
 Go Team Penton  yee ha !!

I cant offer any advice on the motor mounts,  but I've learned to jump by watching the pros on TV and the riders live on the tracks.  After awhile ..   and alot of practice, it comes natural. ;)

Just make sure your suspensions set up for the track, and not for an Enduro  :(
  There is a big difference...

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons