Home page photo - August 2006

Started by Paul Danik, June 11, 2006, 10:17:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Danik

The new homepage photo is from a collection of slides that was discovered in the belongings of Ted and Mabel Penton.  Ted Penton, brother of John Penton, died in 1991 and his widow passed away Dec. 28, 2005.

http://www.pentonusa.org/archive/homepage/default_080206.htm

We viewed 85 of the slides at the May POG meeting and were amazed at not only the content and quality of the slides but also of the professional staging of them as well.  With these factors in mind our best guess is that Jerry West was the photographer.  The slides are a great asset to the POG for not only homepage photos but also for use in the newsletter and other various projects.

The current homepage photo has a lot to offer the inquisitive Penton enthusiast. Click on the photo to enlarge it and get out your good glasses.....

What event trophies are displayed?

Where was the photo taken?

What can you tell us about the bikes?

Let's try a different approach to this photo, please only answer one question, and if you can, ask another question about the picture.  

Thanks
     Paul

Jeff D

This is just a SWAG (you figure out the acronym!) but are those trophies from the Corduroy?  I'm guessing the photo to be circa 1969.  Check out Leroy's boots.  No wonder Mr. P pioneered the High Point boots!  :)

Jeff DeBell
Jeff DeBell

OUCWBOY

Paul and Jeff,
I agree with you jeff on the event, but all three bikes are 1968 models so I'm guessing a year earlier than 1969.

Donny Smith
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

OUCWBOY

Looks as if we've seen that bike that John is sitting on. Anyone know where we've seen the bike?

Donny Smith
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

taxman

My quess was the picture taken at the penton orchard, near the old penton shop on No Ridge Rd. I agree the trophies are from Courduoy, what were the finishes of all penton riders?

Jim
Jim

firstturn

Subject: Bikes on the Homepage
  I think the bike on the right is the proto type Penton that was used for early brochures and other marketing pictures.  My question may seem basic to some, but name all three riders?

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

tomale

I feel like you all have a signifcant avantage over those of us in the west, for me it is like looking through a telescope, I have never seen very many Penton's in my life and it is a rare thing when someone brings a Penton to a local event...So I must look from afar and marvel at the Penton community.  I have only seen a few of the 125's so this kind of stuff gets tough when I try to figure out what is really in the picture. I like LeRoy's boots Ye Ha, might fancy cowboy boots.... Question, is the one in the middle a birksire?

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)
75' GS400 (project bike)
72'sixday (project bike)
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

Gavin Housh

I think you're right about the bike that JP is on being a proto type is right Ron. The ignition cover looks to have a familiar polish to it that we have seen before here, or not? Those wood/log tropies are from the Corduroy, are they not? What are those spiffy boots? They look to be way ahead of their time. Looks like apple trees Jim. Check out the big gold ring that Le Roy Winters is wearing. Gavin

Paul Danik

The original forks on the proto model were different than those forks, if you have an early Steel Tanker brochure the proto model is shown on the cover, and close up inside, you can see the differences in the forks. The lower area by the axle is larger and there looks to be a fender mounting bracket just below the fork bellows. Of course the forks may have been changed. That polished side cover sure makes a good case for that being the proto model.

The Penton orchards were used in several of the Penton and Hi-Point photos.  The one I remember the most has Dane and Billy Uhl sitting amoungst the apple trees on motorcycles with lots of Hi-Point products surrounding them.

Thom, your comments make a good point for keeping this type of homepage photo quizzing going, I know when it comes to the later Penton and early KTM models I am amazed at what some of you guys know, it all just depends on when each of us became involved with these machines, being such an oldster puts me into the steel tanker era:D

Paul

Mike OReilly

The year was 1968 - The Cord was cancelled in 1969 on account of not being able to round up enough volunteers - sound familiar?

Premier Award: Leroy Winters; 125 Penton, 9 points
Clare Heard Trophy (100cc Class): Tom Penton, 21 points
First Expert: John Penton, 125 Penton, 10 points
Gold Rock Team Trophy: Penton Imports, L. Winters, J. Penton, T. Penton, R. Towne, 76 Points.

Obviously from the results and the photos, the Penton "wrecking crew" hauled home a lot of hardware.
The entry that year included riders from Ontario and Quebec as well as an amazing 13 U.S. States. Truly a testament to the stature of the event at that time.
These kinds of archival photos are an absolute treasure. I find it amazing that still more of them come to light, now almost 40+ years later. Thanks to the exec for posting it.
Mike

Admin

tomale

Thanks Paul, Though it is some what frustrating and I have little to contribute it is a good way to learn, I will be starting my Sixday project sometime this summer and I have to admit, it is bit like  building a bike blind folded. I must rely on others to help me get through this process....

76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)
75' GS400 (project bike)
72'sixday (project bike)
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

Paul Danik

Mike,
   Thanks for the information, the R. Towne on the Penton Team went on to be the man in charge of the parts dept. at Penton Imports.

Thom,
   Helping others with their Penton projects is a large part of what the POG is all about. I have had folks tell me that they never actually post on the message board, but they do use it as a resource for their own projects using the search feature, so it is important to ask any and all questions and constantly increase the data base of this website.

I didn't think of this till after Fathers Day, but the homepage photo was rather appropriate for Fathers Day.

Paul

t20sl

Admin:  Thanks for posting a picture of the , I assume, rotating trophy from the Corduroy.  The 1958 winner C. Wise was Clarence Wise.  He was an excellent rider who was good friend's with my dad Lew Atkinson, and with Les Parker, Renick Parker, Joe Gee, Sox Brookhart, Dick Brown, Tubby Morris, and a lot of other fast guys from central Ohio.  I knew him when I was just learning to ride in the mid 60's.  Never knew he went that far north to ride.  Thanks for the memories.  Ted