sachs 80 cc motorcycle

Started by chicagojerry, June 25, 2006, 10:46:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chicagojerry

hi all. i stumbled upon a a sachs 80cc motorcycle today in a barn. had a sachs emblem on the tank with a rubber tank pad in the knee area. the motor looked like the early sachs engines from the first pentons. it also had a leading link front end ala dkw. the wheels looked pretty rusty but it looked to be all there with the exception of the kickstart lever. were sachs and dkw one in the same way back when? [?] the owner said that it was his brothers when they both were kids and that he thought that it was somewhere around a 68 or 69 model. its not worth much to me but if someone were interested i could inquire more. or if there is any more info that someone may know about these bikes, i'm sure that the guy would love to hear about it.  thanks to all for making this the best vintage message board anywhere. :)   chijer

TGTech

Jerry:

Those things were called Sachs Boondockers and it was one of the first Germanic machines that the Penton boys rode. Tom Penton had/rode one for a while with a great deal of success in hare scrambles.

The engines were actually 73cc and were actually the precursor to the engines that were in the Pentons.

Dane

Paul Danik

Jerry,

I think that the Penton boys used to race those little Sachs Boondockers before the Penton came into being. I would sure be interested in knowing more about the bike, if it is for sale and how much the asking price is, if it isn't a bother for you.  I have always enjoyed the small displacement Sachs powered machines.

Thanks
Paul

I guess Dane and I were answering at the same time.

gooddirt

I would be interested as well , if Paul passes on the bike . Thanks GD

TGTech

I spoke to Jerry today, and he's considering trying to purchase it himself. Whether or not he decides to keep it, still remains to be seen.

Dane

chicagojerry

after i talk to the guy a little further. i'll let everyone know what i come up with. its piqued my interest a little more since i got a little history on them.   chijer

sixdazed

Hi Guys,A good friend of mine Bill Tarling-(who was and still is very fast off road,he rode for KTM about the time of the Penton/KTM split,and then later Team Honda Off Road)-anyway he had one of these little Sachs' lying around in the early 70's and wedged a 125 (or maybe a bit larger!) yamaha mx motor in it,After some teething problems he did very well on it in D-37 gp's,etc. and even mx'ing it at DeadMan's Point as well.i think it may have begun life as one of the 80cc isdt bikes that the late Checker's M.C. member Don "Dingus" Watkins Sr. rode in the 6 days for the U.S.A. Team in the 60's-i think they were all on the 80cc bikes if i'm not mistaken,but those memories are hard to totally remember all the exact details now.it was a homely,kinda ugly but fairly fast bike-neat.Very cool tiddler that we used to call a YACHS.probably should have been left original but hindsight is 20/20........But yeah- put me in line on the "interested in list"-ok?Ric

ric emmal
Ric Emmal
Pentons Rule!
5 125 steel tankers
10 cmf 100/125
2 Mettco 125
1 Penda
2 jackpiners
2 harescramblers
5 Herc 7 speeds
1 Tyran 125
1 Ktm150xc
1 Honda crf450x
1 Honda sl70
1 Hon cr125 77
1 Yam pw80
2 Yam yz125d
1 Suz pe 175
1 Suz rm85
1 Mz250
3 Sachs/dkw 125
1 Hon cb700sc
1 Aprillia RC50
Most in progress..                      so many projects-so little time...

chicagojerry

amazingly out of the blue, the owner of this bike stopped by tonight and asked if i was still interested in this sachs bike. i had given up on it since it had been over a year. he quoted me a very reasonable price and it now resides in my "garage mahal".pretty rough but all there except for the carb to filter boot and the kickstarter. a bunch of my buddies were over getting various bikes ready for VMD and we were all ohing and ahing over it. one of them, todd morain, was talking to his father, "topper" about it because he had raced one back in day against fellow pogger al born..  i will taking "before" pictures shortly. :D    chi jer