Another Penton rider down

Started by tomale, July 10, 2006, 08:13:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomale

This weekend was the Ahrma regional vintage and Postvintage motocross race at Spokane raceway. On Sunday morning during the last Practice, Pogger Dale Walters took a big hit... I did not see the crash but the aid truck was called and Dale was taken to the Hospital for observation. He seemed to be all right but he complaining of his feet feeling numb... I have not heard anything other than that, please keep him in your prayer and wishes, If I hear of anything new I will let everyone know... and thankyou!

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)
75' GS400 (project bike)
72'sixday (project bike)
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

firstturn

Thanks Thom, we will keep Dale in our Prayers.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

tomale

Thanks Ron,
About two years ago, I met Dale at our annual Hammer and Tongs race, he came with his very nice Sixday and was part of our first ever relay team race. It was Mac, Matt, Dale and me for the Penton team, the track was really hilly but Dale rode very well, Not bad for a guy in his 6o's

75' GS400 (project bike)
72'sixday (project bike)
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

Big Mac

Dale (aka Deek here),

Hope your bell's not rung too hard and you're ok soon! If you need anything, please give a holler.

Here's my quick Dale story...Entered a 50 mile desert race in a newly formed Vintage class on a '72 Husky 250 about 3 yrs ago in Eastern Washington. Mattawa--A massive annual event in its 40th year, about 400 riders, mass dead engine start, then full blast run to the smoke bomb (as seen back in the day, as in On Any Sunday). Lots of talk of entering by my local vintage cronies, but come race day looked like I was going it alone.

Heading out to the line were hundreds of modern bikes including pros like Jonah Street, not an old bike in sight, which along with the chaos about to start heightened the pre-race anxiety in my gut. So I follow the herd and roll up to a spot at the end of the half-mile long start line--and then next to me rolls up a super clean and very shiny-restored '69 DKW 125 about to be trounced across desert rocks by a little 130 lb man in his late 50s/early 60s...Dale. Just his presence and confidence on the line created the sanity check I was in need of!

We chatted briefly about Sachs motors and touched on our mutual Penton projects we both had going at the time...then the flag dropped and we were both off, separated in the melee. Dale said later he took about 5 hours or so, but finished the course, which was no easy run on even a modern bike. Since, we've met up at a few vintage MX events.

Dale's old bike restoration work got the attention of some in his Idaho hometown, where the local newspaper ran a couple of articles on his project bikes and his return to racing at close to a senior citizen age...an inspiration for sure. Hope you're better soon Dale!!

Mac
Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR

tomale

I recieved a email today from a Seige. it is a letter penned by Dale's Son-in-law, Steve Amos.
"Dale is at Sacred heart Medical center in Spokane WA. in ICU with a broken back, hip,pevic and several ribs. He has parallysis in his legs and is being pumped full of everythng thre is!
Today july 11th he goes into surgery to have his Pelvic and back pinned and screwed..... Dale is in Rm #246 icu, Sacred Heart in Spokane Wa."
This does not sound like routine to me and he needs our Prayers. God can and does heal. I have seen it way too often to discount it all. In times like these, People ask why evil and pain exists, That is the wrong question, we should be asking why does good exist, when there is so much evil and pain.
Thanks to everyone for caring.... It reminds me that there still is good in the world.

75' GS400 (project bike)
72'sixday (project bike)
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

firstturn

Thanks Thom for the information.  For those of us that want to send a card here is the main addrss;

Sacred Heart Medical Center
101 West 8th Ave
PO Box 2555
Spokane, WA  99220-2555

Thom please keep us updated on any changes.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

tomale

Thats Ron for the address, I have yet to hear anything new but I will post it just as soon as I get it.. I have posted the information about Dale on the VDR yahoo site and there has been a good response.
I am encouraged by that! Thanks to all of you who have sent your wishes and who are praying.

75' GS400 (project bike)
72'sixday (project bike)
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

Big Mac

Sounds like Dale is in a lot worse shape than anyone imagined. To send a quick note of encouragement to a fellow Penton enthusiast, his e-mail is [email protected]  

He could surely use the support. Here's also the link to the story run on Dale and his Pentons/DKWs and racing from early this year, nice pics and history: http://www.nic.edu/news/PublicRelations/details.asp?ID=1068

Thanks,
Mac
Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR

tomale

I have not heard any more from Dale's family but I thought that all of you would like to know that I have let the local Racers know the situation. There is already been a good reponse, which is great. Several people are involved in getting the word out. I spoke with a friend of mine and we have decided that we are going to go see him this weekend. At least that is the plan..... thanks everyone for caring!

75' GS400 (project bike)
72'sixday (project bike)
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

tomale

I have heard from Dale's daughter, here is what she said:
Thank You for your kind thoughts.  My Dad is still in ICU at Sacred Heart Hospital and is unable to have visitors at this time.  He was hurt badly and will require spinal cord rehab when he is out of the hospital.  He broke his back, fractured his hip, pelvis and some ribs.  We're hoping he is out of ICU this weekend and in a regular room.  Then approx. 4-6 weeks of inpatient rehap.  I will try to keep you updated as best I can.  But I have a lot to do, I needed to be "triplets".  LOL

Please continue to hold him up in your prayers, it sound to me he has a long road ahead, and will need the support each step of the way...

75' GS400 (project bike)
72'sixday (project bike)
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

Doug Wilford

Our prayers and thoughts are with Dale.   KNowing the 60+ bones take alot longer to heal.   Be patient and with all our prayers we wish you the best.   DW

Big Mac

Our friend Dale Walter was supported strongly by fellow NW riders and the promoter of last weekend's vintage race at Burnt Ridge, WA.

Thanks to guys like Thom Greene and others in our Vintage Dirt Racing community, a fund was taken up and a "Dash for Dale" race was held with half the purse going to the winner and the other half to Dale. Local former factory-support Yamaha racer Jim Anderson (and owner of Anderson Cycle, Vancouver WA) put the first $100 in and promoter Lyndel Raphael rallied the troops to get things going. Jim Pomeroy joined the Dash but bike problems put him out of contention. Anderson, of course, smoked everyone for the win.

A decent fund was raised with donations and race fees and a big Get Well race poster-card was signed by most everyone. Thom's keeping in touch with his family to see how Dale's progressing, and through the AHRMA NW reps, there's the possibilty of support from the Benevolent Fund.

Good to know there are friends that will think of you when old bikes turn on you and you're down. Thanks go out to all who are helping and keeping Dale, and others like Jack P, Dave M and Randy K, in their thoughts and prayer.
Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR

tomale

I have to say that it was awe inspiring, to see so many give to help a fellow rider. I am sure that many if not most gave sacrificially. We raised 550 bucks on one weekend to help Dale and his family... It by no means come even close to cover all that it will cost him but at least he will know that he is loved and we really do care what happens to him...
Money does not make you rich, having friends does! I heard about this cartoon. it was about this man who was dying.. (please do not think this is about Dale) The priest is giving him last rites and the caption says.... "I should have bought more crap!!!"
I don't think so all we care about is having family and friends near....

75' GS400 (project bike)
72'sixday (project bike)
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

tomale

I spoke with Dale this evening and he is doing better. He seems to be in good spirits and that is always good. Earlier I spoke with Dale's son-in-law and he gave me the run down on his situation. He broke his 12th vertabrae, they did a bone graft to fix that. He cracked his pelvic bone as well, steve said it was 3/4 inch in size. In addition to that he still can feel nothing in his legs and his bowel area, This is not good but the doctors are hopefull. They seem to think that he will walk again but that there will be some permanate damage, as to how much no one is sure.
They moved him today from Sacred Heart to St. Lukes in Spokane. Starting tomorrow, he starts 6 weeks of Therapy. how he responds should tell alot about his long term disabilities and just how significant that will be..Once he leaves the hospital he will have issues to deal with, His home is a two story place and the bathrooms are up stairs, I am sure there will be ramps to build and things changed in side the house to make it more comfortable as he contiunues to improve.. He has already lost a significant amount of muscle mass and that will take time to replace, in addition to that, because of a cracked pelvic bone, His physical therapy will have to be easy for now until that heals, This will make his recovery longer at least for now..once the pelvic bone heals improvement should come more quickly.
Any of you that would like to help, I was told that they have set up a special account for Dale. I will call tomorrow and see if I can not get that information..
Thanks, I know it means alot to him that you have responded to his situation...

75' GS400 (project bike)
72'sixday (project bike)
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

firstturn

Thom,
  Thanks for keeping us informed.  Dale is a fighter and he will fight this situation.  For those of you who have never suffed losing muscle mass, it happens quicker than you think while being in bed and especially unable to walk.  Dale will need our Prayers and any help that we can give.  Thom, I will wait for the account fund information and do what I can.  This Group is the best.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh