1972 175cc Jackpiner

Started by coverman, July 11, 2006, 12:25:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coverman

Hello all:

I'm trying to get some advice on the best way to sell a fully restored 1972 Jackpiner 175cc.

Here are some pictures of the finished bike.
http://www.thenatureboys.net/casey/penton_motorcycle/

Thanks
Casey Overman
[email protected]

Rocket

Casey
Bike looks very nice.  Just wondering what the frame serial number is, looks like a 1973 to me, black hubs, slotted heatshield, kickstand on the side of the swingarm and the Bing carb.  Mid-Ohio Vintage Days is coming up the end of July, good place to sell bikes.
Rocket

coverman

Rocket:

I am actually just handling the internet part of this.  My dad actually restored it.  I just gave him a call and he pretty sure it's a 1972, and that is what he ordered parts for the restoration job.  The bike was one of his friends and after 20+ years of storage, the friend gave it to him.  

I will post serial numbers for all available parts this evening.

linglewn

I agree with Rocket. The swingarm is definitely '73. The hubs could be black painted aluminum, but probably the original black magnesium hubs. The Bing could be late '72 or '73. The front fender also looks like a '73 since it has no aluminum mounting bracket.

I just finished a '72 and now have a '73. My money says it a '73. Whatever it is, it looks good.

Nelson Lingle
Nelson Lingle
73 Jackpiner
74 Jackpiner
71 DKW 125

coverman

you are both right.  sorry about the confussion.  most of the small parts are for the 72-73 range but it is a 73.  

the frame serial number is 7-3056553
the engine # is 62 30 003 -010 35204978

My father would like to know if he invested too much into the restoration to make it worthwile to sell.  does anyone have any idea on how much it's worth.  I'm just looking for a ballpark, nothing you say will be interpreted as an offer.

pketchum

Hi Casey,

You're heard the phrase, "It's difficult to judge a book by its cover?"  The same holds true with motorcycles; especially pictures of motorcycles on the internet.  Please provide us with a level of detail on your dad's restoration that would allow us to make a reasonable valuation.  

There's "pimp shines" and then there's "frame-up restorations" which include full engine rebuilds vs. simply painting the engine cases and calling it good.  

Thanks,

Phil
Phast Phil
Moderator, Hodaka Owners Group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Hodaka

coverman

This was a complete frame up restore.  The entire bike was taken apart, the engine was rebuilt.  The frame was sandblasted and painted with powdercoat.  Dad painted harley's when I was a kid and this bike was completely restored.  He currently works for a NASCAR team building cars and engines.  While this was his first penton, he's restored a 1937 chevy, a few harley's and is currently restoring a '65 gto.  Believe me when I tell you that job was as complete as you could hope for.  And for those wondering, it was a real pain trying to wash a car to his satisfaction when I was living at home...:)