Cracked Rim

Started by imported_n/a, July 29, 2006, 11:06:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imported_n/a

POG, these may be a lame questions but are cracked alloy (shouldered akront) rims worth repairing, ie: cost effective based on rarity, overall condition? The reason I ask is that I have one that is in nearly perfect condition with the exception of a hair-line crack that runs from the bead to the top of the shoulder on one side which can only be seen with a magnifying glass. Not to say it wouldn't get bigger with use. Just wondering if I should hang on to it, try to sell it, repair it, recycle it, etc.? Have 2-3 others with holes drilled on the sides and then filled - trash these or what?

Finally, is there a vaguely visible seam on these rims sometimes or are they one solid piece? I've deteched uniform discoloration on 2 separate rims in the same identical areas just under the yellow Akront decal that runs from bead to bead, up, over, and across the rim. The fact that the original decals are pasted over both of these areas leads me the believe it's a manufacturing seam?? Just some thoughts.

Thanks, Cheeterman

t20sl

Cheeterman:  Yes you are correct that the rims do have a factory seam.  All aluminum rims of the time were made this way as are the current aluminum rims.  (Billet custom wheels like on crusiers excepted)  As far as welding the rim I think if I wasn't going to race it I would have it welded or leave it alone.  For racing I would be afraid that welding would soften the area around the weld and possibly make it worse.  A good TIG welder might be able to answer these questions better than I.