Clarke tanks

Started by tlanders, August 03, 2006, 10:02:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tlanders

Has anyone bought a Clarke plastic MC5 fuel tank? I am thinking about it for my MC5 project and want to know if it really is a good match with the original. They are pricey at $200 but you can get them in orange. Is the orange the right color match? Do the standard petcocks fit them?

Teddy

Gary Roach

Teddy,

I've got a new one of those tanks. I haven't done any color comparison with it, but when I get a chance sometime this week, I'll do so and email you some pictures. It's not as glossy as the gel coated tanks and painted side panels are. I don't remember what type of petcock it takes, but I'll check. The gas cap was included, and it's a small black plastic threaded type.

Gary

Chakka

Will the Clarke MC5 tank fit on the 77GS "Turtle Back" Frame? I tried finding photos of the underside of the CLarke tank but have not been able to locate any.

Chris

Gary Roach

Chris,

Call Clarke and ask them if the tunnel on 3.7 gal. tank is the same as the 2.2 gal. I have the 2.2 gal., and I know it won't work on the GS-6 frame.

Gary

tlanders

Gary,

Does the size/look of the tank match the fiberglass one other than the gloss? Thanks for the fast response.

Teddy

Steve Minor

I bought a used 3.7gal Clarke tank on Ebay and it fits my 1977 400 GS6 but not my 1977 125 GS6...the backbones are different.

Steve Minor

slvrbrdfxr

Hi All,
I just bought a 77 250 GS6 about a month ago. The bike came with a Clarke 3.7 gal tank on it which did not fit correctly. The Clarke tank only has a single petcock opening on it too. I was lucky enough to buy a 77 250 GS6 parts bike at VMD and now have a tank that fits the bike.
Dave McCullough

tomale

I have a red clarke's tank that fits my 76 MC5, and yes and no on the petcocks. Yes if you have the adapter and no if you do not. Clark is suppose to sell them but they were unsure which one is needed. The bottom of the tank where the petcock attaches has three holes. the center on is for the fuel tube and the other two... one on each side is threaded. It is 1/4-20. I have yet to find an adapter so there is sits. The bike it fits is no long my main ride so I have no need for it any longer....It is just one more detail that has been put on the back shelf. The tank is new but it is a bit scuffed up from being being moved from one shop to the next...

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)
75' GS400 (project bike)
72'sixday (project bike)
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

Chakka

Gary,

I talked to Clarke today, they said that both tanks share the same tunnel profile. So it appears niether tank is an option for the 77' GS-6 frame. They did indicate there might be something they can modify to adapt the MX tank to fit that frame. The guy with the technical expertise was running the mold machine and will contact me next week to discuss it. If worse comes to worse I have an excuse to build another bike, this one enduro rigged but with an MC-5 Frame & tank.

Chris

jj

Chris,

The Winsdsor 3.5 gal tanks that Al shows in his June 30, 2006 parts issue no. 11 will fit the 77 GS-6 frames.

John J Slivka
John J Slivka

Chakka

Thanks John, I will take a look.

Chris

slvrbrdfxr

Hi all,
Has anyone repopped the black and white "L shaped" decals for a 77 GS6 tank ?? Would like to find some replacements for my bike. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks !!
Dave McCullough

Gary Roach

Dave,

Try Skip Miller.
817-798-5861
[email protected]

Gary

Gary Roach

Teddy,

I just sent you an email with photos of the tank. The color match looks really close. I wouldn't use one for a restoration, but I don't think it would look too bad on a race bike.

Gary