73 Six Day Paint Verfication & Guidance

Started by GaryDowling, August 04, 2006, 12:04:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GaryDowling

Hey Everyone,

First installment questions from the Dowling boys' refurbishment of our newly acquired 73 Six Day. I truly searched all possible past-posts before posting this one.

I am going to freshen up the appearance of the bike with new fenders and a repaint of key parts. Can I get some feedback that I found the right colors and approaches on the Forum?

Frame: JP1 KTM Silver/Gray - What is a good degreaser to clean-up the frame? After degreasing, I am planning on light sanding, primer and paint.

Yellow Number Plates: Krylon Sun Yellow - any other better color?

Green: PPG 44623 (from T. Brosius webpage)- Can you get this put into spray cans at the dealer? Are there any other "close" green colors, readily available in spray cans that are considered "acceptable" in shade?

Fiberglass Tank/Air Box Prep - I have never painted fiberglass before. Based on scouring the historical posts, here is what I am thinking: use Oven Cleaner (?) to remove old over/repaints, sand with 400 wet, sand with 1200 wet, primer, sand with 1200 wet, paint with 2 coats, and finish with 1 coat of clearcoat.

Does my approach make sense, or am I "out of my mind"? (By the way the answer to both questions could be YES.)

Thanks, as always for your patience and guidance.

Gary Dowling
1973 Penton Six Day
Gary Dowling
1973 Penton Six Day

Dennis D

1200 Before you spray your basecoat isn't going to give much of a "bite" for your paint. I usually use 400. Dennis D

GaryDowling

Dennis,
Excellent - thanks for the feedback. Me painting, is very much like giving matches to a child. I appreciate your input.
Gary

Gary Dowling
1973 Penton Six Day
Gary Dowling
1973 Penton Six Day

rfpotter

Working with limited resources, I cleaned my frame with kerosene and #00 steel wool (yes, outside and with rubber gloves), wiped it down, and blew it off with compressed air. Used the PJ-1 sandable primer and wiped it down with #0000 wool and more air, and then sprayed the silver-gray. I allowed a day or two between coats. Does not look bad for what it is.

Gary, I am outside of Gatlinburg. Do you not mention you are near Atlanta?

Patrick Houston

GaryDowling

Patrick,
Thanks for the tip on kerosene and #00 steel wool and confirmation on the stripper & paint. Yep, I am north of Atlanta.
Gary

Gary Dowling
1973 Penton Six Day
Gary Dowling
1973 Penton Six Day

rfpotter

But let me add that I do not have a smidgeon of the skills that some of these boys have. I just work with what I got.

Patrick

GaryDowling

Patrick,
I am with you. When I am finished, my bike may be the poster child on "what not to do to a Penton".

Frankly, the knowledge within this group is pretty amazing. In fact it was the POG website that gave me the motivation to get this bike, knowing that the infrastructure, knowledge and collegiality are outstanding.

It is really interesting to search the posts for past information - much that I got today was from posts in '02 & '03.

I'll take as much input and guidance as I can get.

I'd really like input on the colors I identified in the original post.

Gary

Gary Dowling
1973 Penton Six Day
Gary Dowling
1973 Penton Six Day

DKWRACER

Hi Gary, it is true, I have not found a rattle can replacement for the Penton Green, what I do know is that once a decent color can be achieved, it is possible to have spray bomb cans made. One of our most distinguished restorers is Kip Kern. His bikes are prolly some of the best, and he does take particular care in the prep of both frames and ancillary parts, his methods are not "out of this world" but they are something that he has mastered, and I believe he would lend you a hand. And as a mention, some of my posted paint codes have come from the members themselves, it is only a guideline for reference. I have not personally used the PPG green, perhaps one of "our faithfull" could verify the purity.
Keep us posted...A Penton is a fine thing!
Tom Brosius
Thomas Brosius

GaryDowling

Tom,
Thanks for the thoughts. I appreciate your input and tip on Kip.
Gary

Gary Dowling
1973 Penton Six Day
Gary Dowling
1973 Penton Six Day

t20sl

Gary:  I am not sure but I would question the kerosene.  That stuff is oily and I have never seen a lantern with kerosene left in it that rusted.  Sewing machine oils have a lot of kerosene in them for lubrication so this is why I question its use. Under Ryustoleum maybe?? Here is what I do:  I GUNK the whole think with the good automotive degresser called Gunk.  Take it to a car wash and soap/rinse Gunk off.  I then use acetone or laquer thinner on a rag with gloves OUTSIDE and wipe every nook and cranny.  If acetone starts wrinkling up old paint use something less aggresive like contact cleaner or mineral spirits. Detergent soap like Spic and Span works good also but make sure to rinse it off.  Go ahead and sand like mentioned with 320 or 400 wet or dry paper used with water.  When you have it looking smooth wipe down again with a pre paint cleaner/ wax remover which can be bought at a automotive paint store.  At this point never touch frame with bare hands again!  Find a place to hang it where you can move all around it and can rotate the frame easily. (I hang it from a large tree in my back yard)  I usually hang it by steering neck and also have a wire on bottom and on rear fender loop.  With a hook you can then reposition frame several times during painting.  You will be supprised what you miss when you hang your primed frame upside down after painting what you thought was everywhere.  During priming you will discover how to handle frame repositioning without touching wet paint.  This helps when it comes down to color and or clear coat.  Some primers don't need sanding but if they do I usually used 400 or 500.  Paint tight areas first and paint easily seen areas last.  A very slight breeze outside works nice to keep overspray down and paint out of your face.  Wear a mask anyway! Hope this helps. Ted

GaryDowling

Ted,
Great insight and tips - thanks for taking time for the detailed comments.

I ordered the JP1 paint for the frame, that everyone seems to recommend.

Any confirmation on the Krylon Sun Yellow (or better?) for the number plates?

Any thoughts on the correct Six Day Green for 73?

Thanks again,

Gary Dowling
1973 Penton Six Day
Gary Dowling
1973 Penton Six Day

cubfan1968

Gary it looks like your enjoying you new found addiction. On the way to pick up my 1st Penton I was fortunate enough to meet Al Buehner. The first question he asked me was, "Are you going to show it or ride it". After 1 spin around the block (even when it ran terrible) I knew I was going to ride it. I tried to keep things as close as possible to stock but I wasn't worried about dead on. Especially the fenders, mine came with aluminum fenders when new I chose to buy some Preston Pettys from Bultaco East.

The point to my story is build the Penton to enjoy it weather it be to show or ride.

Rod Whitman
1972 Six Day (Rider)
1972 Six Day (Project)
Rod Whitman
Omaha, Nebraska
1972 Six Day (Rider)
1972 Six Day (Project)

GaryDowling

Rod,
Thanks for the input. Great advice on the approach to the improvements. I have also restored British sports cars - it's easy to "over plan" a restoration/refurbishment, sweat too many details, and completely lose sight of the whole point - enjoying the final product.

Gary Dowling
1973 Penton Six Day
Gary Dowling
1973 Penton Six Day

imported_n/a

GaryDowling

Chris,
Thanks for the info - exactly what I needed. I replied to your email, as well. Great insight.
Gary

Gary Dowling
1973 Penton Six Day
Gary Dowling
1973 Penton Six Day