penton tricks

Started by Kid Six Day, August 04, 2006, 02:52:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kid Six Day

I'm new to pog and just bought a '73 penton Six Day :D frame # 30161575 it only needs a few parts and cleaned but I was wondering what were some popular modifications/tricks for these old bikes. Every Bit Counts!!

'73 Penton Six Day:D
Alex Klein
Columbus,OH
\\\'73 Penton Six Day 125

Doug Wilford

These bikes and engines are over 30 years old and the castings etc. have gotten more fragile.   # 1  Do not remove the drain plug on the bottom of your engine!  95% chance it will strip.  To change oil remove the left side cover and lay the bike on it's left side. Make sure there is no dried oil in the gas tank.    Always use a fuel filter.  Factory mods were very rare with that model, but personal mods were quite extensive.   Have fun!

Rain Man

My favorite trick to keep these ole bikes just a purring is to condition myself !! Exercise some and Ride it alot  and any other bike you own  and that 6 day will go fast, faster and fastest [8D]
its all about your condition, not the bikes !!  

2c

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

Kid Six Day

Hey Doug
   Do you do that every time you change the oil I've never had any problem with that on my dads bikes('74 Honda TL125 & '75 Honda MR175((the Penton is MY first bike and am enjoying every bloody knuckel:D)) I have been the soul mechanic/rider on my dads bikes for the past four years mostly because he wants a button rather than have to kick) Also I did clean out the gas tank and am going to clean the petcocks too.
   Do you use ATF in your bikes. If so what are the reasons? Their was a forum on that a while back.
   Also I heard that I should change the gasket in the middel of my trans or it will cause my motor to seise.

Rain Man
 Your right you do need to be in top physical shape for these heavy old bikes (exspecialy since i'm only 125lbs any most of these bikes are 200+) I do work out and am a wrestler at my High School (Now all I need is the talent and skill to go fast right!)[:p]

Thanks for the help
'73 Penton Six Day

'73 Penton Six Day 125
Alex Klein
Columbus,OH

Doug Wilford

Kid;
I don't know about Honda or the other engines, but I do know the castings on the Sachs have aged and are brittle.   What used to be a ding is now a crack, some people have even had the filler cap strip the engine cases, and the pivot screw threads also.   Your clutch may or may not free up by riding, it should be taken apart and clean all the rust off the plates.   Main seals will also meed changing, the mag side can be changed without engine tear down, the primary seal you have to split the cases.   The Sachs has many shims and I would suggest you get a repair manual before splitting the cases.  I recommend Golden Spectro 80W Gear lube 700cc,  If you use ATF change it often.

Kid Six Day

Thanks Doug. Will do

'73 Penton Six Day 125
Alex Klein
Columbus,OH