Wanted Penton

Started by wade195, August 17, 2006, 11:09:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wade195

Hello all. I am new to this site. I am looking to get back some of my youth and own another Penton. I am looking for a Penton to do a restoration too? I saw this site and I figured I was a good place to start and I would be in good company. If any of you can bring me up to date on available bikes and or parts I would be thankfull. You can email at [email protected]
Thank you for your time and effort.

Doug Wade

OUCWBOY

Hello Doug and Welcome to the Site! There are lots of Pentons available, but you might be a bit more specific as to what years ranges and sizes you desire.

Donny Smith
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

wade195

Thank you for the quick responce and for the welcome.
If I rember I had a 175 and a 250 I belive they were early 70s? We also had a 100 and 125. I belive they came from Rod Bushes shop In Wva? I think that was the name? Something along that era would be nice.

thrownchain

OK, now what are you looking to spend and do you want something in your area or you willing to travel or pay shipping??? And how much of a project are you willing to tackle??

wade195

I was hoping to start out out between 5 and 6 hundered dollars? I can tackle about anything? I live in Nashville tn area now. Am able to travel for parts and bike am also able to pay for shipping as well. I guess it all depends on the quality and where bike and parts are to what I will spend. My thought is I would probably end up with 4 or 5 grand in a finished bike? That sound correct to you?

thrownchain

That's good. You at least have a starting point. Total cost to restore will vary on how complete the bike is, what shape the parts are in, and how much of the work you can do yourself. I hope your estimates to complete a restoration are on the high side as I've got 3 in the works and hope to do it for somewhat less than that. I'll keep an eye out and let you know what I can find. and if you find one in the NE let me know and I'll check it out for you and may be able to transport it if needed.[^]

wade195

Thank you very much. I knew i came to the right place. You have been very helpfull. If in the Nashville area look me up.

If anyone else has suggestions please dont hesitate to reply.

linglewn

Again, welcome. I am in Oak Ridge, TN. You will find outstanding help and advise on this site. Also, use the "suppliers" section for parts-especially Al Buehner. He has a good selection at fair prices.

You are in the right ballpark for cost. I recently finished a '72 Jackpiner (175cc) that required very little engine work for about $3000. Good luck with your project. Let me know if I can help.([email protected])

Nelson Lingle
Nelson Lingle
73 Jackpiner
74 Jackpiner
71 DKW 125

wade195

Thank you. I have found on bike at a motorcycle junk yard out west? Very high I thought?

Once again if anyone has any information on a project bike or otherwsie please dont hesitate to respond. Thank you.

Doug Wade

rfpotter

Welcome Doug
I am nearing the end of my first project, and it would not have been possible without the POG braintrust. Just amazing amounts of information and history. I am east of Gatlinburg, near Cosby, if I can be of help, just let me know.

Patrick Houston

wade195

Thank you I will. If you would look out for a project bike I am still looking. And thanks again.

Doug

thrownchain

What was the junk yard project? and how much were they asking??
Keep looking on this site, keep an eye on E bay, try postaroo.com,
and craigslist.com. It may take time, and don't jump at the first
one that comes along, make sure your happy with what you're getting.
It's alot more rewarding to end up with what you were looking for when you started out.[^]

wade195

The bike was at bike boneyard and it was a 250 that was 800. Thank you for the help. I will keep looking. Good folks here.

Doug Wade

bkinnon

Off topic, but... Hey Thrownchain, where in New England are you? There are a few of us on here. Like Raymond, I am from Maine.

Bill

Downeast Pentons- Central Division
Downeast Pentons- Central Division

thrownchain

Bill, I'm in central upstate NY, heart of the finger lakes region.
Has any body given any thought to doing regional get togethers?? that way people in certain regions could meet and get to know each other closer to home, as opposed to going to Ohio or elsewhere.