What gets painted? 70 Steeltanker

Started by AndyL, August 18, 2006, 01:32:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndyL

Some of you have seen the bike before when you helped me id the year as late 70.  Thank you for all your help.  Here is the link again, and a few more questions.

http://target.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/aj67ss00/album?.dir=73a4re2&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//target.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos

I have stripped the frame of all paint (a yellow on top of a black coat, and then a silver layer in some places) and used the PJ1 silver/gray to repaint it.  Wheels are getting a clean up and new bearings.  I have three usable cylinders, but may have to scroung some cases and side covers.

I will see if I can get a picture of the progress so far up in the photo file.

Do the following get painted or remain bare metal:
Footpegs and footpeg mounts?
brake pedal
upper triple
lower triple
the round air cleaner cover
rear sprocket carrier (I believe this gets painted a flat black)
Rear brake stay (I assumed this would be painted but under the layers of paint is a chrome plating)

Andy
#14u MOVMX and AHRMA
75 Jackpiner
70 Steeltanker
92 KTM 300
Andy
#14u
MOVMX, AMA, AHRMA

Dennis Jones

Andy,
I am almost finished with a 71 I have been working on for a year. It was in fair condition and pretty complete when I got it. I'm just slow[:o)]
I left the footpegs and mount unpainted, thats the way these were.
Same with the brake pedal and arm. I painted the rod and spring
The triple clamps like all Pentons were painted but I don't like that look so I bead blast and polish mine.
I painted my metal breather cover the same as the frame.
The brake stay was chrome but in bad shape so it got the blast and paint treatment.
My sprocket carrier was plain aluminun so all I did was polish it.
As soon as I mount the fenders and number plates it will be done and I will post some before and after pictures.

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

OUCWBOY

I think Dennis is correct, except the brake rod and spring were not painted, but some folks did that to make them look better.
Good Luck

Donny Smith
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

AndyL

Thanks Dennis and Donny!  I appreciate the info.  Sometimes it is tough to make out the details on all the pictures of the bikes, so I wasnt sure about the items I asked about.

I will probably go with painted triples, leave the brake rod chrome, and leave the footpegs/mounts plain metal.

The spring is another matter as it is rusted pretty bad.  Probably have to replace it.

Andy
#14u MOVMX and AHRMA
75 Jackpiner
70 Steeltanker
92 KTM 300
Andy
#14u
MOVMX, AMA, AHRMA

Dennis Jones

Your welcome Andy,
The rod and spring on my bike were prety rough and needed repaired so they just got painted.
As a correction I couldn't get the footpegs to clean up so they got painted.
This bike is going to be used as a rider/pit bike so I am more interested in it just looking good as opposed to perfect correct.

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

AndyL

Thanks again Dennis.  
I am not trying for a restoration, just to have a few details correct.  All my bikes are put together to race, but I try to make them look nice.

I have found that sticking with the original patterns and colors helps out in the long run when I have to sell them.

Andy
#14u MOVMX and AHRMA
75 Jackpiner
70 Steeltanker
92 KTM 300
Andy
#14u
MOVMX, AMA, AHRMA

Dennis Jones

Same here. I try to stick as close as I can with what I have to work with. My biggest stray on my Pentons is the triple trees. They polish up so nice I just can't bring myself to cover them with paint.

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones