Chehalis Race & tribute to Jim Pomeroy

Started by ossaracer, August 20, 2006, 01:29:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ossaracer

I attended the Chehalis Classic AHRMA national race at "the FARM" in Washington state.  It is the largest race for the NW riders.  There were 450+ entires.  It was differen as the shock of Jim Pomeroys passing was present.  There was a huge tribute to him, and Buck Murphy and Doug Grant read stories of Jim in their lives.

We raced hard in his memory.  The Metco replica Penton got a holeshot in a field of 23, beaitng the 20 something kid Jared Lang's trick Yamaha.  I didnt hold him, but it was a great feeling for th Penton to be out in front for a bit.  Went 4-4 for 4th in Classic 125 Expert.    The weather was perfect, and Jim Pomeroy was smiling down on us.
Terry Gates
AHRMA racer/Penton-Ossa lover
[email protected]
Penton 100 Berkshire 72 - nice (on the way!!)
Penton 125 Six Days (3)
Penton 175 Jackpiner
Penton 250 Harescambler (2 1/2)  Love \\\'em!!
Mint 400 - sweet

Gary Roach

Terry,

Sounds like you had fun. Great job on the holeshot! I wish I could have gone just to see the tribute to Pomeroy. You're very fortunate that you got to spend a lot of time with Jim at Casey this year.

Toni and I are planning on making the AHRMA National in Alabama. If we do, you and Peggy Cozart get the job of being our tour guides.

Gary

bentrims

Thanks for sharing that Terry. Jim surely did bring the spirit of racing in the 70's every time he made a race.
Tom B

ossaracer

Gary - If you and Toni come to Alabama, you got it!!   the Barber facility is unreal.  The museum has maybe 400 bikes at on time on display and he has 400 more in reserve and GP race cars etc also.   The AMA display was great because it was MX,  this is GP and other stuff but just HUGE!  The grounds are great too!  It will be fun!!

Terry Gates
AHRMA Classic 125 racer
Penton 125 Six Days (2)
Penton 175 Jackpiner
Penton 250 Harescambler (wannabe!!)
Terry Gates
AHRMA racer/Penton-Ossa lover
[email protected]
Penton 100 Berkshire 72 - nice (on the way!!)
Penton 125 Six Days (3)
Penton 175 Jackpiner
Penton 250 Harescambler (2 1/2)  Love \\\'em!!
Mint 400 - sweet

socalmx

Terry, being a Southern Califonian, I was around the Mettco bikes quite often while cruising the pits at Ascot and Lions Dragstrip. I would be interested is seeing how your bike turned out. Got pictures?

Gary Roach

Greg,

Terry has a really nice looking red & white Six-Day. I'll email you some pictures of it.

Gary

tomale

Ossaride, fine job... It was indeed a great day at the races. I did not bring a bike but I was there... Several of my friends were there and we were camped were we could see the first turn, We never did have a problem with bikes overshooting the corner and ending up in our pits but it sure was fun to see the hot shoes backing it in to that first corner, I agree the tribute to Jim was great, and I was really touched with the stories, we saw Jim so often it was as if he was just one of the guys and you could almost forget what he had accomplihsed so many years ago, or even what he has done for our sport today... Last year at chehalis, bildough had just recieved his Mettco Penton and I got to ride it some, what a nice bike, I could tell that it would have been alot of fun to race, and I weigh alot more than you.... but hopefully for not too much longer....

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)
75' GS400 (project bike)
72'sixday (project bike)
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

vmxracer

My family and I were great friends with Jim. He gave me several tips on how to get the wholeshot, and cut guys off in a turn. I was able to see Jim race in New York last year against Brad Lackey, Dave Boydstun, and many other great riders. He was really one great guy. He will always be the 1st.

Ambr Milakovic

Ambr Milakovic
\\"Black Beauty\\"