CMF Triple Tree Color

Started by GaryDowling, August 20, 2006, 07:31:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GaryDowling

Hey Everyone,
Making progress on our 73 Six Day Father/Son project. We are starting at the front and cleaning/painting things, as we work towards the rear fender.

Triple Tree / Headlight Holder Colors: Can anyone tell us if the triple trees and headlight brackets on the 73 CMF's were painted, or polished? On ours, it's hard to determine they seem to be painted.

We have obtained the JP1 KTM Silver/Gray for our frame (from historical forum posts) and I noticed only one other post from the forum referencing painted triple trees for 75', but no color mentioned.

If painted, is the frame color, the correct color for triple tree and head light bracket? Or is there a different color? (seems to be traces of a "gloss" paint?)

As always, we are appreciative any guidance and insight.

Gary Dowling
1973 Penton Six Day
Gary Dowling
1973 Penton Six Day

tofriedel

Gary,

On my 72 JP and a friends 73 JP they are painted.  Fairly confident that both are stock.

Tony
Tony

socalmx

Make life simple and use the frame paint to paint them. FYI, make sure to remove paint from handlebar clamping area.

GaryDowling

Tony,
Thanks for the data points. Mine are worn and it's hard to tell - but I was leaning towards painted, versus polished. I appreciate the input.
Gary

Gary Dowling
1973 Penton Six Day
Gary Dowling
1973 Penton Six Day

GaryDowling

socalmx,
You read my mind! If I got enough "paint 'em" replys, I was going to try the frame paint. If it looks bad - it's only paint, right? Thanks for the reminder on the handlebars. It's real easy to get caught up "in the weeds" on details. I don't have a need for perfection, just want it to look proper, in the event that I get to display it some day. It's also a cool history lesson/research effort for my son.

My 12 year old son and I have our "badges of courage" (read...busted knuckles) and are having a fantastic time. My wife keeps rolling her eyes with each new package of goodies that arrives at our house. Al B has become my "new best friend".

Gary

Gary Dowling
1973 Penton Six Day
Gary Dowling
1973 Penton Six Day

tofriedel

Gary,

Besides the handlebar clamp area do not get paint into the Triple Tree/Headlight Holder where the fit over the fork tubes.  Tape those areas off.

Tony
Tony