Talking With John Penton at Mid Ohio

Started by jay cohen, August 22, 2006, 10:01:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jay cohen

I didn't think about posting this until now, thinking you guys wouldn't be interested in it but had second thoughts.  I spent a few thrilling minutes talking with John Penton at the POG setup at Mid Ohio.  I can't begin to tell you how much I enjoyed our chat.  I was surprised how excited and enthusiastic he was with me.  I felt I had known him for years, he cheerfully answered all of my questions and I got the feeling that he would  have talked with me as long as I wanted to.  One question I asked him was who he thought was the top rider back then.  Do you guys want to guess who he said without hesitation ?

jay cohen

Mick Milakovic

Former national motocross champion and 8-time national enduro champ Dick Burleson.

Mick

OhioTed

I can dig it.  Mr. Penton certainly has the perspective to declare Malcom Smith as his top pick, and Malcolm's accomplishments speak volumes.  However, I like Mick's pick too, because Burleson was (and still is!) an incredibly fast and tremendously versatile rider.  I was lucky enough to compete against DB (compete-hah!) years ago, and am still blown away at how fast the guy is, especially in super-nasty terrain.  He simply doesn't slow down for anything!

jay cohen

Dick Burleson would have to be one of my personal favorites as all time fastest, best, etc. rider too. When I was a kid I wished so much I could have seen these greats along with Carl Cranke. But, I am still so impressed with the 100cc riders and what they accomplished like Dane and Billy Uhl. To ride those Berkshires like they did just blows me away. Those guys were my heroes and still are today.

Lew Mayer

Malcolm always looked like he did everything effortlessly. And with a grin.:D

Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer

Paul Danik

I agree with Jay about Dane and Billy.  At the ISDT qualifiers they were the first two riders out in the morning and they had to find and follow the trail as there was not a set of tracks to follow, and they had to do this rather quickly as the schedules did not always allow much extra time. I rode a 125cc machine and often was riding not far behind them, but I had their tracks to follow, I still have to laugh when I think of the times that I figured somehow I must have made a wrong turn, just about then I would spot where Dane and Billy had reached the same conclusion and had spun around and headed towards the "correct" trail.
   Then you went to the Six Days and the really small bore bikes would take off, and shift, and shift, and shift some more.
   Good comments Jay, you brought back some great memories for me.
Paul