Mettco Penton

Started by socalmx, August 29, 2006, 10:21:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

socalmx

All Pentons sold by Mettco had riveted tanks and a Mettco sticker mounted on each side of the tank below the double stripes. Does anyone have a photo of this sticker?

pakala

This is the best pic I have showing Mettco sticker.    http://tinyurl.com/qr2e6
                  Paul(socal)

socalmx

Paul, thanks for the picture, guess I was wrong on the sticker placement but it has been a few years. Where are you located in Southern California?

pakala

socal,
 That Mettco Penton  belongs to Bruce McDougal, socal's fastest penton racer.
 Yorba Linda in the O.C.
                 Paul

brokenb23

Contact Donny Smith. He has a few pictures of Mettco Pentons showing decal placement.
Bob Brizzee

bkinnon

I have several riveted gas tanks that I have acquired over the years and a Jackpiner that I bought that has the Mettco decals. Is there a way to identify whether this is a true Mettco bike?
Bill

Downeast Pentons- Central Division
Downeast Pentons- Central Division

socalmx

The thing to remember is that Mettco was also a dealer and every bike going out the door had a riveted tank and stickers. So if these are present, it is a Mettco bike but probably not one of their race bikes. I had the opportunity to talk with Bruce at a race a couple of years ago. Real nice guy and still fast as well. I have a photo of my friend racing my Penton going off the line next to Bruce. Bruce already had about a bike's length on him!

OhioTed

While putting together the Mettco Penton story, which appeared in SKT a few issues back, Bruce McDougal explained the origins of those rivets.  It seems that Chuck Bower actually split a stock tank wide open, after landing from a nasty jump during a SoCal mx.

pakala

Socal,
Is this your buddy left end,next to Bruce? At vintage Iron race,Glen Helen.  http://tinyurl.com/nxlpm
               Paul

socalmx

They raced together at a Perris Raceway event years ago. I just found the picture again and will scan and get on site.