The Blue Devil Lives!

Started by OhioTed, September 05, 2006, 04:15:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OhioTed

I had solicited help several times for starting up a rebuilt '75 Mint 400.  The suggestions provided by all you POG'ers helped a lot!  After securing a new PVL from Penton Racing, having the Bing rebuilt by The Bing Agency, and relocating the compression release from the head to the cylinder, it wanted to fire, but not quite.  Kept trying to bite me!  However, I re-timed the PVL, and she fired right up.  What a beast!!!!  Hence the "Blue Devil" moniker we assigned it (the bike's tank, airbox, & sidepanels are painted blue).  Aey, she's a happy beast now, and starts, idles, and runs like a champ.  Man, am I a happy POG'er!

firstturn

Ted,
  But what was the problem???  Do you feel the timing was off before?  Did you try it with carburetor before you sent it off to Bing with the new PVL?  The only reason I am asking is I like people reading this site to better undestand how to pin point a problem.  The particular model you are working with won't start if the timing isn't real close to being spot on.  I am not trying to put you on the spot, but instead trying to help people understand how to work through a troubleshooting session.  Thanks for all of your (and Reba's) hard work for the Penton Owner's Group.[8D]

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

OhioTed

Well, considering that I'm on the top-ten list of "World's Worst Mechanics", I'll do my best to answer, Sherriff.  Two points could have been a factor:  First, I couldn't see the timing mark on the PVL's base with the flywheel in place, and even with Dane's color installation guide, I still couldn't be sure if the marks were lined up or not.  So, we pulled the flywheel and VERY carefully retimed it, using a dial indicator to assure correct specs.  So, the timing could have been off, however (point #2) my good friend and Mint-owner/racer Greg told me that the Mint likes lots of fuel on which to fire.  I had been a little stingy with the tickler up to this point, but went for it and just held 'er down until the fuel came out the overflow tube (just like we're supposed to) and with the help of a touch of starter fluid, she lit right off.  After some fine-tuning of the Bing, The Devil settled right down, and now idles, and barks clean and crisp the instant the throttle is cracked.  Also, placing the compression release in the jug, as you guys suggested, is the only way to go.  The bike lights easy as pie with this process, although Greg calls me a big baby, and says that he never resorts to use of the compression release.  Then he tried startin' his with loafers on, and has been limping ever since.  I fear The Devil way too much to make THAT mistake.  That's all, folks!
                                                Ted

firstturn

Ted,
  Thanks for the follow up.  So that means that when I meet a Penton guy with a limp it is either Greg or another Mint 400 owner that likes loafers;).

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Rain Man

We dont call them the "Leg breaker 400" for any other reason.
 Another dirty trick I learned ..somewhere along the way, is to lay the thing down on its side monentarily with the pet cocks open.  Your right, the big bores like their cold start fuel...  Alot.
 I put a choke in mine and it needs it even when its 90 f out !!

Also everything seems to vibrate loose... motor mounts, intake and exhaust manifolds, cylinder head and base bolts. I've been safety wiring mine when and where ever required. That seems to be the ticket

This weeks maintenace scenario was a wicked bogging problem when under load.  I found the super trapps exhaust plates full of that synthetic oil goo !!
  I guess they dont like that late model fancy oil either.
 My 400 rips and you dont want to follow  to close... It will move Tera Firma    immaculately .

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons