replacement H-Bars

Started by 3putt, September 05, 2006, 10:29:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

3putt

What have the POG members found as a respectable replacement for the various Penton Models, and close to the originals?    Maybe in addition to your personal choice, you can point me in the direction of a supplier for same.  Many Thanks in Advance.   Nelson

wildman

Renthal sells a aluminum bar advertised as a vintage/ desert bend that looks close to an original Penton bar. Only $60! I also heard of a Hodaka repro that might work. Hope this helps. Wildman

1975 250 Cross Country, 1974 175 Jackpiner, 1975 125
1975 250 Cross Country, 1974 175 Jackpiner, 1975 125

firstturn

Nelson,
  Try clicking on this post.  I hope to see you at the Reunion Ride.

http://www.pentonusa.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3729&SearchTerms=125,handlebars

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Kip Kern

Try Matt at Speed and Sport, CA

socalmx

The Renthall bars are too low compared to the vintage bend bars.

GaryDowling

Splines/Knurling on Handlebars?

I am looking to replace my handlebars (73 Six Day). The bars on the bike have splines/knurling where the handlbar clamps lock down the bars.

Most of the replacement bars I've found are smooth and do not have the splines. Check out handlebar picture on Strictly Hodaka (referred from historical post)- all smooth.

Logic would suggest that the splines are beneficial, to keep the bars from slipping. What is the current thinking or experience with replacement handlebars - smooth OK, or get splines/knurling?

My bike will be used for "spirited" trail riding, not competition.

Thanks,

Gary Dowling
1973 Penton Six Day
Gary Dowling
1973 Penton Six Day

Dwight Rudder

Hodaka Wombat bars work well. Similar to the 1974 bars.  BUT, I prefer the 1972 Magura bend that the 1972-73 Pentons had.  Less pullback although I have straightened bars myself in a vise.
Dwight

Dwight Rudder
7 time ISDT / E medalist
8 time National Enduro Class Champion.

Mike Lenz

The Renthal Desert/vintage bars work well if you use bar risers like the 81 KTM's had (dont bother calling Al B because I already cleaned him out!).  Renthal also sells a Mini High bar that works real well on the mc-5's.  Although I think they may call them something else now. Teddy Landers may know.