Post Vintage Question

Started by Tony Price, September 12, 2006, 10:02:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Price

Sooo,

Looks like I am the new owner of a 78 or 79 KTM GS175.  I sort of bought this crated up project sight unseen, and the seller isn't sure which year it is.

Can anyone tell me the differences in the two model years?

Can anyone tell me how to blend a post vintage bike in with the herd so my spouse doesn't notice?

I figure if I get to Missouri early enough on Thursday, which is when I pick it up, I can have it built in time for impound Friday night at the ISDTRR, chuckle chuckle.

Dane, Teddy, Doug, just kidding on the building Friday for impound thing, lol.

Tony
Tony

OUCWBOY

Tony,
What's her frame number??

Donny Smith
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

bentrims

Donny,
Did that Arkansas move ever happen? Pretty close to the Moberly, Missouri AHRMA (Oct. 1)race if it did. I got the first round.
Tom B

Tony Price

Quotequote:Originally posted by OUCWBOY

Tony,
What's her frame number??

Donny Smith

OK, got the frame number, such as it is.

Does this follow the Penton numbering system meaning it was built in May of '78?

Seems to missing some digits, but I seldom deal in these new fangled modern late 70's whiz bang machines.

Tony
Tony

454MRW

Tony,
All of the 1978 MC5 and MX-6 Desert tank bikes that I have, or have been in contact with have the same 855 beginning frame number. I guess it's just like the 76/77 MC5 frame number that begins with 550.
There is no accurate way of determining the month of production other than the actual serial number (11501) that follows the 855 designation. Otherwise, the engine casting date is the only way to estimate the actual build date. I have 2 855 designated complete bikes and 1 bare frame, and it looks like I will be getting another bike very soon. My brother also has a complete 78 MC5 bike with the 855 designation. Mike

Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1974 250 HS Pentons-1980 KTM 250'S
Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1976 Penton MC5 400
1977 KTM MC5 125
1978 KTM 78 GS6 250
L78-79 MX6 175-250 KTM\\\'s
1976-78 125-400 RM\\\'s
2007 CR125R Honda
1977 MC250 Maico
2017 KTM Freeride 250R

Tony Price

Thanks Mike,

I do know it is a 175 GS model.  Perhaps a 78, by the sound of it....

The motor is packed up and sealed, so I won't know anything on it until The ISDTRR when I pick it up, unless I can swing getting out to Sandia later this month.

At any rate, it sure seems like it's gonna have some suspenders, and best of all, brakes! [:p]

Tony
Tony

OUCWBOY

Tony,
Mike is 100% correct. You bike is a 1978. I think they used the same frames for the GS and the MC.

Donny Smith
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

Knute

Tony, Mike, Donny,

You guys are correct..755=1977 and 855=1978.  

Regarding the GS configuration, it is possible that Tony has a 1978 GS6 with the breather frame.  I know there has been some debate about their existence, but I've got the ratty remnants of an orange, 855, breather frame, GS6 in my garage.

On the other hand, the popular enduro option in our neck of the woods was converting a MC5.  KTM offered a kit to do this.  It included a larger tank, lights, and a bolt-on rear frame loop.  So Tony may have something like this as well.

Tony, when you get a chance, let us know if it has the solid tube backbone under the tank, or the wide, stamped, breather backbone.

Kent
TEAM PENTOVARNA
Kent Knudson
Kevin Brown
Gary & Toni Roach
James & Adam Giddings

OUCWBOY

Kent,
Thanks for the info. I had hear there was a 78 GS model, but have never seen one.

Donny Smith
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR