Help

Started by Kid Six Day, September 12, 2006, 10:22:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kid Six Day

Hey all
  I have recently bought a 73 six day It's in pretty good shape good spark and compression and turns free. But looks like it's been sitting a while.
  I'm just getting into realy working on my penton and just went through the front forks and tripel clamps. I was wondering if on the tripel clamps should the berings be showing or is thier supposed to be some sort of seal over top of that?
  Also, I would like to know what else I should do to get my penton in running condition. I was planning on just cleaning everything up and checking/replacing all the parts. But then I heard I should replace the gaskets in the motor, too. I would like to stay away from rebuilding/tearing apart the entire engine if possible. But, we'll do if I have to.
  So I'd like to know All the stuff I should do to get my penton running and stay that way. If I have to do something needing special tools please tell me what the tools is and where I can get one.
  I want to do all the work myself because I bought this Penton to have fun with and it's no fun watching someone else do all the work.

'73 Penton Six Day 125
Alex Klein
Columbus,OH
\\\'73 Penton Six Day 125

Kid Six Day

Oh and I need a chain for it but I don't know that size of chain needed. Is their any way find out what size chain is needed or is it different on every model of bike.

'73 Penton Six Day 125
Alex Klein
Columbus,OH

thrownchain

Welcome to the club, I've got three 6 day bikes.
As to the motor, do a compression check, if it's got decent compression and holds oil I wouldn't worry to much about gaskets. If it developes a leak after you run it then go after the problem.
Also check wheel bearings and brakes, as for the chain, call Al. He's listed in the supplier listings.  Good luck.

TGTech

The steering head bearings are supposed to have an O-ring over them to keep dirt, mud and water out of the bearings.

Regarding the operation of the whole machine, just to prolong its life, it would be a good idea to spend the time to go through things that are supposed to be lubricated, to make sure that there isn't any rust in those places and that there is plenty of lubrication there. Wheel bearings ought to be checked to see that they're clean and lubed. Many times, you can pull off one of the seals while the bearings are still in place and see their condition. If they're dirty, they ought to be cleaned out and regreased. If they're rusty, they probably ought to be replaced.

The ignition ought to be checked to see that it is clean and corrosion free and the grounds are solid. If it is a Motoplat, it is imperative that there is no rust between the coil mount and the frame, that the frame to engine connections are clean an free of rust and corrosion, and that the stator mounting to the cases, has no corrosion on its surfaces. The spark plug cap ought to be removed, the wire cut back about a 1/4" and the cap reinstalled to be sure that you have a fresh, clean contact with the spark plug wire.

That's the general procedure that I'd do, if it were my machine.

Dane

cubfan1968

Welcome aboard KID. The first thing I would do is contact Al Buehner (216)651-6559 and buy a service manual and a parts book. These puppies are great when your taking things apart. I would at least clean out the carb even better to rebuild it. If its a Bing it will be in the owners manual how it goes back together. If you got a clean air filter, good spark, ignitions solid, carbs clean and adjusted and its getting gas from the tank to the carb it should go.

If it doesn't don't get frustrated just get back here and ask questions or check the archives. This is a great group and there are no stupid questions. You will probably need to fine tune as you go.

Also the chain is a 428.

Good Luck

Rod Whitman
1972 Six Day (Rider)
1972 Six Day (Project)
Rod Whitman
Omaha, Nebraska
1972 Six Day (Rider)
1972 Six Day (Project)

rob w

Hello and welcome,
Besides becoming a full-fledged member of the Penton Owners Group - It's a good idea to get a new foam air filter element, the old ones have a tendency to disintegrate with age.
Also it's not a bad idea at first to reveal your name, and the state/ or region you're from. With all the impostures these days, you'll receive more respect and openness out of the group.
Most of all -(Doug Wilford says it best) - Have fun !

Bob Wardlow
Grand Rapids, MI.

firstturn

Great idea on having your name and area you live in.  If you don't know how to do this just click on profile and fill in the signature area with your message and check the box to include your signature on all your posts.

One of the real advantages of doing this is I have found new Penton owners close to me that works out great for helping one another on our project.

Oh and as Doug says "Have Fun".

Ron Carbaugh
Kerrville, Texas
Ron Carbaugh

Kid Six Day

Thanks For all the help. I do have a manual and Parts Manual and I'am a member to POG. I think I'm Just going to check the entire bike and make sure it's ready to go.

Alex Klein
Columbus,OH
'73 Penton Six Day 125
Alex Klein
Columbus,OH

Kid Six Day

Hey how much oil do I put in the front forks the manual has it in cc but I don't have anything to measure it in cc

Alex Klein
Columbus,OH
'73 Penton Six Day 125
Alex Klein
Columbus,OH

jay cohen

Helpful when measuring anything like cc's or mixing your two stroke oil is a Ratio Rite mixer.  They show lots of good mixing quantities on it.  It's a clear plastic measuring unit.  You can find one at any decent m/c shop. Jay, Boyce, Virginia

rfpotter

I have to fool with this back-and forth a lot, so let me quote Frank Hamer's "The Potters Dictionary of Materials and Techniques", Fourth Edition.
To convert C.C.'s into U.S. fluid ounces, multiply by 0.0338.
Therefore, 100 cc's would be 3.38 ounces.
In the manual I got from Al there is a note that a 32mm fork uses 135 cc's in each leg (is that right POG? Because I am about to do this myself). 135cc's would be equivalent to 4.563 ounces.

Patrick Houston
Cosby, Tennessee

t20sl

Alex:  Any relation to Randy Klein, an enduro rider from Ohio?  Ted

Kid Six Day

Thanks RfPotter for the conversion helped alot.
Sorry T20sl no relation to Randy Klein.

Alex Klein
Columbus,OH
'73 Penton Six Day 125
Alex Klein
Columbus,OH

Kid Six Day

On friday I filled the motor with oil. First off it leaked like no tomorrow, replacing the right side gasket should fix that. but what I was more conserned about was what was driping out. It wasn't fresh clean oil it was more like dirts water and oil. So i'm taking the motor apart this winter.
   The past coupel of days I've been reading the Penton manual and my Sachs Service/Repair manual on rebuilding the motor.
   So what I want to know is if their is anything I should know before I get started and if thiers anything I should really do when it's apart.

Alex Klein
Columbus,OH
'73 Penton Six Day 125
Alex Klein
Columbus,OH

Mick Milakovic

Hi Alex, and welcome!  If you can't find a ratio rite, then do an internet search for "metric conversion".  I'm sure uou'll come up with lot of useful information.

Mick