Rupp RMX 125 Questions.

Started by bentrims, September 18, 2006, 10:10:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bentrims

Has anyone had experience with racing the Rupp RMX 125? I have a very good condition roller waiting for a Sachs. The sachs is on the way.

Main questions I have:

Are they a strong built frame?
Are there any obvious design weaknesses?
Any chance of finding fenders for this?
Thank you for any help.
Tom B.

rob w

I've seen the aluminum chassis on the Nitro's severely bend from hard landings off of big jumps. Does the RMX have slides or boggie wheels ? I also recommend carbide runners for the skis, and Kalamazoo cleats for the track.
Good luck, and have fun.

Bob W.

bentrims

Alright Bwob,
I did start out racing snowmobiles up here in Minnesota dontchaknow, and saw my share of Rupp ski-buggies but we must have a few poggers out there that tried their hand at the Rupp MX bike RMX125/Sachs 6B.

firstturn

Tom,
  First let's find out what the frame is made of?  Anyone have a brochure for the Rupp?

Ron Carbaugh
Kerrville, Texas
Ron Carbaugh

Dwight Rudder

I actually raced one in I believe 1973 or 74.  It was a rocket ship.  A few items about the bike were made cheap but overall it had a lot of potential.  Oh, I won my class in that H/S.  I passed a local hot shot on a TS185 Suzuki with the 175cc MX kit on it like he was backing up down a straight.
Dwight

Dwight Rudder
7 time ISDT / E medalist
8 time National Enduro Class Champion.

brokenb23

Does this mean we are going to see Coupe get ripped by a Rupp?
Bob Brizzee
P.S. Tom thanks for advice scrapping shocks

bentrims

Ahh yes the memories start to kick in...filed under archives. We had only (1) RMX here that we saw at the mx tracks in MN.

My concerns are around the frame strength as mentioned by Ron.

Dwight did the major parts hold up ok?

I want to build another 125 so I dont keep doing 6-8 motos in one day on the same 6 Days. It would be a real waste of resources to find out I should have gone with another high breather CMF.

A Rupp is a terrible thing to waste.[:p]

bentrims

Bob B,

I do have some plans to make this motor rip. As my dad used to say in his snowmobile racing days "She's either gonna GO or blow". Man I have some good stories about him!:)
TB

bentrims

PS Bwob,

Humor is always welcome here. Too many websites go in a real bad direction. Usually I am that one thats in every crowd:D

firstturn

Tom,
  So far I haven't found any information on the frame.  These bikes really had such a short life due to no dealers that I can't find anyone that raced one for a season.  If the frame is good to go the main thing is to keep the engine bolts tight...sounds elementry, but this even hurt a lot of Penton riders that didn't do normal maintence.  You build the bike and if the frame isn't up to par I have a Penton 125 frame, swingarm and frontend I will give you to have a home for the new engine.

Your right about humor........you need to tell the story about holding the flashlight for your Dad working on the snowmoble.

Ron Carbaugh
Kerrville, Texas
Ron Carbaugh

Tony Price

I have one of their Expresso Coffe makers, oh wait, that's Krupp.[:p]

Actually, my limited knowledge of the Marque is that checking all gussets and tube unions on the frame is a good idea.  If the welds aren't done for the full run of the joint, have them welded to make a complete bead at the joint.  Check the steering head welds as well.

Heck, with your speed and jumping ability, I'd put in frame supports anyways.....and a small parachute to assist in braking after you take the checkers.

Tony
Tony

brokenb23

hmmmmm!   Braking after the checker flag??  Everybody thinks Tom takes a victory lap. The reality is it takes him that long to slow down. What is a brake?
B.B.

Doug Wilford

Tom;
Don't be mislead that the "Rupp" is even close to Penton as far as being able to take a beating.   If you had problems keeping Hondaz together (which I have been told)  there is no way you will have any success with the Rupp.   I would opt for the later cmfs 73-75.  
Have Fun!
Doug

bentrims

Hey, thank you guys for the input. I am worried about the RMX frame coming into it because this bike has two existing repair welds from back in the day. Thay are near the lower front motor mounts. Small welds yet they may tell the future.

Thank you,
TB

Mick Milakovic

Hey Tom and Ron, if the Rupp is really a rocket ship, how about the Rupp motor in a CMF Penton frame?  Just a thought following another post about "hybrids".  Good luck with your project!

Mick