Help!......Stuck 400 GS6 Motor

Started by Steve Minor, September 21, 2001, 08:15:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Minor

Unfortunately my project '77 400 GS6 sat outside in the weather for a number of years and now the motor is "stuck". Any suggestions to free it up for restoration?
Steve Minor

Rocket

Steve
I have a 75 400 that was the same way. I pulled the head and kept liquid wrench soaking around the top of the piston for several days and finally it broke loose and I could remove the cylindar.  I would bump the kick started with my hand, not to much force though and tap on top of the piston with a wooden dowel and hammer, softly.  Take your time and let the liquid wrench do the work.  
Rocket

Steve Minor

Rocket, thanks for the advice! I'll try it this weekend. Got any clue where I can find an exhaust system for this 1977 400 GS6?

Thanks again
Steve
Steve Minor

john durrill

Steve i e-mailed KTM in Austria for pipe specs on 125 , 175 and 250's. If i get an answer ill see if the 400 specs are avaiable also.

Steve Minor

Thanks John, any help is appreciated.
Steve Minor

DKWRACER

Removing a stuck cylinder piston may be easier and less risky if you first remove the four studs after removing the head, then using BG Force spray lube, try turning the whole barrel assly around back and forth a little at a time until the stuck piston comes free....this from Bobby Lucas in Texas!!!

Thomas Brosius

Rocket

You have to be real careful if you rotate the cylindar that a ring end does not pop out into one of the ports and them you can't pull the cylindar off.  If you rotate it, rotate very little.
Rocket

Steve Talbott

Hi Steve, I have a pipe for your bike. Its in good shape overall. 50.00 plus shipping. yYou can email me at [email protected]  Thanks Steve

Steve Talbott
Steve Talbott