Got it back Home

Started by CharlieT, October 01, 2006, 11:18:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CharlieT

Well, finally ran up to Cadillac and retrieved my '71 from the Team Highland KTM there. Got a few things to fix, but still looks pretty good:

Dwight Rudder

Nice,  
What was it doing there ?
Are you going to ride it at the ISDTR ?
Dwight

Dwight Rudder
7 time ISDT / E medalist
8 time National Enduro Class Champion.

CharlieT

Long story, kind of....

We had bought a Cannondale from Team Highland a few yrs back. Besides Cannondale they were a Kaw dealer. When C'dale went belly-up, they ended up picking up KTM as their 2nd line. Dennis, one of the owners knew I had the old steel-tanker, so when they were getting ready for their KTM "Grand-Opening", he asked if he could borrow the Penton. He set up a KTM racing pit Canopy with a new KTM 125 under it with my Penton sitting there beside it.

Got a lot of attention, so much that he asked if I would mind leaving it there, as it was a great conversation piece and people going into the stor were always checking it out. Since it never got ridden much, I just figured, why not, let others see it and enjoy it and learn about the Pentons..... Plus it was in a dry temp controlled environ, too. Well that was over two yrs ago!

Telll me more about this ISDTRR. What's the riding like? Been to some enduros and ran a hare scramble up here not long ago and don't really want to put this bike thru that kind of potential abuse. Have also discovered a few issues with the Penton. Seems some of the original rubber items are showing their age. One of the grips fell apart when we were loading it, already got some, just have to put them on. The front tire, the orginal Metzler, no has a small crack in the side wall, too.

Worst is it ain't running at the moment. Somehow, over the last two years, looks like someone caught something on the wiring harness and pulled it apart. Tried briefly hooking it back up, but only got it as far as getting power to the coil and nothing more. Didn't have a lot of time to paly around with it. Am busy putting the finishing touches on this one as its supposed to be in a bike show this coming weekend:

Is there anyone from this neck of the woods going down to the ISDTRR?? I'm just outside Kalamazoo, MI. Either someone to travel with, or if I do go down, between the truck and the bike trailer, I can easily haul 4 bikes.

Dwight Rudder

The ISDTR is not very hard event.  Fairly easy.  LOADS OF FUN.  Your steel tanker would do fine.  Lots of Comraderie.  A must attend event.
Check in with VINDURO if you need more information.  I think there are several from the Michigan area coming down.
Get yourself some Cheng Shin tires so you will have some decent rubber to start with and save your old Metzlers for display. I suggest a C755 front and a C183 rear.
Dwight

Dwight Rudder
7 time ISDT / E medalist
8 time National Enduro Class Champion.

CharlieT

Thanks for the info on the tires! Man, been looking at tires/prices for a set for my Valkyrie.......the front alone costs more than that set would for the Penton!!!

OhioTed

Those are some nice bikes, Charlie.  Congrats.  I cringe when I think about how we treated 'em in the old days, though.  Looking at your CR reminds me of when we brought home my buddy's brandly-new '76 CR250.  Got home, rolled it down the trailer ramp, then we both let go at the same time and watched it roll backwards by itself, then crash onto its side, on a gravel driveway.  "Sigh".

OhioTed

Those are some nice bikes, Charlie.  Congrats.  I cringe when I think about how we treated 'em in the old days, though.  Looking at your CR reminds me of when we brought home my buddy's brandly-new '76 CR250.  Got home, rolled it down the trailer ramp, then we both let go at the same time and watched it roll backwards by itself, then crash onto its side, on a gravel driveway.  "Sigh".