Penton Pride

Started by 242, October 10, 2006, 03:11:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I have a question concerning the Penton Pride poster that shows the Tom Penton's 125 Six Day ISDT bike in Penton blue.  My husband has taught me that the 100's were red and the 125's were green and the 175's were blue.  Why then is the Tom Penton 1973 blue when the 175's that same year were the blue?  Dave won't tell me or else he doesn't even know.  Any help out there?  Lady Di

Tony Price

Excellent observation, and even better question Di.

Yes, your color designations by bike are correct.

However, during the years that the Penton Team was the Trophy Team at the ISDT, all of the Trophy Team bikes were trimmed in the same blue as the 175cc Jackpiner.

I imagine I will be building a replica Trophy Team bike before my restoration days are over.  Of course, another way to look at this is that it's a great way to use up some odds and ends laying around and do some mods that don't require absolute dedication to the factory standard.[:p]

Tony
Tony

TGTech

Tony,

You are "6/7ths" correct. In 1976, we built our bikes here in the States and shipped them to Austria. The thought was that maybe by having our bikes built and ready exactly the way we wanted them, we would have a better chance at the Trophy. That year, our bikes were orange, just like the production machinery.

That bike was the absolutely best 175 Penton I ever rode: Fox Air Shox, Ceriani leading axle forks, Carl Cranke tuned top end and hand built pipe. Absolutely terrific. And I think because of that bike, that the Austrian ISDT, was my favorite event.

After I got my bike home, I decided that I wanted to make it look different than everybody else's machines. I took the tank and side panels, and had them painted a metalic silver and the frame a red-orange color.  My brother has the bike today, and presently, it is apart in his shop, with the goal of rebuilding it. Unfortunately, I'm not too confident on it happening.

Dane

Tony Price

Quotequote:Originally posted by dandk

Tony,

You are "6/7ths" correct. In 1976, we built our bikes here in the States and shipped them to Austria. The thought was that maybe by having our bikes built and ready exactly the way we wanted them, we would have a better chance at the Trophy. That year, our bikes were orange, just like the production machinery.

That bike was the absolutely best 175 Penton I ever rode: Fox Air Shox, Ceriani leading axle forks, Carl Cranke tuned top end and hand built pipe. Absolutely terrific. And I think because of that bike, that the Austrian ISDT, was my favorite event.

After I got my bike home, I decided that I wanted to make it look different than everybody else's machines. I took the tank and side panels, and had them painted a metalic silver and the frame a red-orange color.  My brother has the bike today, and presently, it is apart in his shop, with the goal of rebuilding it. Unfortunately, I'm not too confident on it happening.

Dane

Wow, 6/7th's correct.  I think I'll print this out and show my spouse I sometimes find an acorn, lol.

You know, I think I may have a pic of the 76 team somewhere.  In keeping with the missing 1/7th, one would think I would have realized this........

Tony
Tony

OhioTed

Dane,  Excellent inside story on the '76 bikes.  Along those same lines - is there a story behind Jack's yellow-tanked 250 at the '73 U.S. ISDT?