engine started backward

Started by skipperclyde, September 22, 2001, 09:28:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skipperclyde

I started a warmed up Piner this evening and the engine started backward.  I realized this when I released the clutch and started going the wrong way. I just about had a laundry problem.

I shut it down and restarted with no problems.  Never had this happen before.  Bike is running fine now, in the right direction.

Has this occurred to anyone else?  Any ideas to what caused this or how to fix it?  Can this damage my bike.

Thanks

Kip Kern

Incorrect timing will do this to you.  Looks really bad on the starting line when you drop the hammer!

john durrill

skipper check your timing,
 lol i had a 1956 Harley 165 cc two stroke that could cough at a stop light and do that. quite disconserting when i went to take off lol.
a two stroke will run forward or reverse no problem. The timing is probably retarded a little.
John D.

grandpaul

Yup! My RD400 will run just fine in reverse, everything but wheelies....

GrandPaul,
Host of the Triumph Bonnevilles Forum at //www.delphi.com/grandpaul
GrandPaul,
Host of the Vintage Bikes forum at http://forums.delphiforums.com/oldbikes and the Triumph Bonnevilles Forum at http://forums.delphiforums.com/grandpaul

don howard

Quotequote:
I started a warmed up Piner this evening and the engine started backward.  I realized this when I released the clutch and started going the wrong way. I just about had a laundry problem.

I shut it down and restarted with no problems.  Never had this happen before.  Bike is running fine now, in the right direction.

Has this occurred to anyone else?  Any ideas to what caused this or how to fix it?  Can this damage my bike.

Thanks

don howard

to skipperclyde:  most two strokes will start in and run either forward or rev. Harley golf carts do this by changing the way the starter is turned over in for. or rev. rotation. I don,t see a problem with damage.  don howard
Quotequote:

Thanks

don howard

to skipperclyde:  most two strokes will start in and run either forward or rev. Harley golf carts do this by changing the way the starter is turned over in for. or rev. rotation. I don,t see a problem with damage.  don howard
Quotequote:

Thanks