The KTM is dead

Started by cag33, October 25, 2006, 07:51:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cag33

Ran great one day, dead the next. Was told it was the motoplat ign. No spark. Anyone have an ignition for a 78 KTM 400. Thanks 925-516-2850 or [email protected]

G Ellis

My guess would be the coil went bad. Do you have a kill switch on the bike? Disconnect it and try it again. Hope this will help .  Later Gary Ellis

cag33

Ran fine on sat. Sun nothing.

OUCWBOY

I think what Gary is saying is that sometimes with old wiring, many things can happen. If you have a kill switch, disconnet and see if you get spark. Also, check all the wiring connections and be sure to check if you have a good ground on the coil and also make sure the engine makes good contact to the frame metal to complete the ground process. After many years working on older bikes, these are the things to check.

Donny Smith
Lakeside, CA, soon to be Paragould, AR
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

brokenb23

Just curious. Do you have motoplat or PVL? I have had all sorts of weird elctrical problems on my MC5 and been surprised when I found the problem. Like Donny mentioned. Check all connections , including sparkplug cap.
Bob Brizzee
Waiting for Paragould to annex San Diego

cag33

Got it fixed. It is a motoplat. Turned out to be the sparkplug. The one I was using must have fouled so I put in a new plug but that one must have been bad. Tried a plug from my CR and it sparked so tried a different plug and it started. Wierd

lksseven

Cag33,

if it still turns out to be the Motoplat is bad, you can get it rewired by a guy.  A couple of bikes were running on these at the RR over the weekend and they did great.

I can't remember the guy's name, but can find out if you need it.

Larry Seale
I choose to ride
Larry Seale
I choose to ride...slower and slower all the time

454MRW

Larry,
I believe it is Vance or Vince Smith from Michigan up near Bob Wardlows neck of the woods. I spoke with him at the Vinduro dinner and flagged him down on the way home because I saw he had a project Hercules that needed a seat which I had on my 74 1/2 Penton 250 backup bike that I didn't need. He only charges $ 75.00 or so to fix them and offers a 3 year warranty, and for every year that he has no returns he is adding another year to the warranty! I plan on sending him a couple just to check out. Mike

Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1974 250 HS Pentons-1980 KTM 250'S
Michael R. Winter
1976 Penton MC5 400
1977 KTM MC5 125
1978 KTM 78 GS6 250
L78-79 MX6 175-250 KTM\\\'s
1976-78 125-400 RM\\\'s
2007 CR125R Honda
1977 MC250 Maico
2017 KTM Freeride 250R

Tony Price

Vance does first rate work.  He will be getting one from one from me soon as well.

Tony
Tony

Bob Seymour

Mike or Tony,
Could one of you guys provide a phone # and or address for Vance?
                                                 Thanks, Bob

454MRW

Bob,
He is a Vinduro group member. If I were you, just post on there, or call Phast Phil and maybe he can hook you up. Mike

Michael R. Winter
1974 250 HS Pentons-1980 KTM 250'S
Michael R. Winter
1976 Penton MC5 400
1977 KTM MC5 125
1978 KTM 78 GS6 250
L78-79 MX6 175-250 KTM\\\'s
1976-78 125-400 RM\\\'s
2007 CR125R Honda
1977 MC250 Maico
2017 KTM Freeride 250R

3putt

I have some of Vance Smith's M-P's in my bikes now, and pleased to report they are working fine.  You can reach him at this address ,
[email protected].  Nelson McCullough

Bob Seymour

Nelson,
Thanks for the address. I'm sure there are a number of guys in the group besides myself who allways appreciate good resource information for keeping our bikes rolling!
                                          Bob

pketchum

Vance Smith is indeed a fine fellow.  What Mike Winter says is fact - he hasn't had a return yet and for every year that passes that he doesn't have a return he said he is extending the warranty another year!!!  Wow, that's customer service!  

I brought an old Motoplat to him at the Reunion Ride after buying a very nice new MzB ignition from fellow Vinduro member, Rico Yamane (which is working VERY, VERY well considering the punishing conditions I put it through at the 2006 ISDTRR).  Vance wrote me last night that it was only the coil that was bad and that I should save the stator for a show bike since it was so nice.

Phil
Phast Phil
Moderator, Hodaka Owners Group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Hodaka

brokenb23

OK,  Rebuilt Motoplat with new coil----PVL------MZB--??? What is the most reliable ignition system with the best spark?  ;)
Just Curious.
Bob Brizzee