ISDT vet out there?

Started by wfopete, October 31, 2006, 09:00:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wfopete

To all you ISDT/E vets out there; I have a friend named Steve Leivan who is from Missouri.  Some of you may know him. For those who don't Steve, he is a great rider, racer and person. He has a pile of championships to include being the Missouri harescramble champ for the past 15 years. Steve dream came true this past year when on his first attempt he qualified to compete in this year’s ISDE.

My question for all you ISDT/E vets is: If you could give a first year ISDE rider one piece of advice what would it be?

I would like to send him your words of wisdom as a pat on the back before he sails off to New Zealand. Thanks in advance for your words.

Pete Petrick
#174 Penton Jackpiner
Pete Petrick
175 Jackpiner
Slow but Good

Jack Penton

Steve is a very talented rider with a ton of experience.
My only advise is prepair like you do at home and ride like you already know how and you will earn a gold medal. The toughest part of the Six Days is mental. If you believe that it is just another challenging motorcycle race that you can do then it is.

Good luck!

Jack Penton

Paul Danik

First off, congrats to Steve on making the Team.  

I remember how I was awe struck and confused by what the other Team Penton riders were doing to prep their machines at the Penton R&D building for the 1973 ISDT.  I ended up loading my disasembled Penton into my van and driving back home, there in my little shop behind the nursery garage, I preped my ISDT bike just as I had done my other bikes. Once the bike was done I took it out and put about 100 miles of country road miles on it to brake it in. That bike ran perfect for the Six-Days and that is the same machine I used this past weekend for the ISDTRR.  

Bottom line Steve, don't do anything different than what got you to where you are. Let some other guy try that "special factory light weight" gizmo, no untested items for me.

Also, I rode each day as its own event with goals of not falling down and staying on time, I did not dwell on the length of the event.  I also did a lot of running to get myself into shape and I would push my bike up the nursery lane before I would ride it to build up my wind.  My Grandpap thought I was nuts.

I know you asked for only one piece of advice, you did mean for each day didn't you:D

Keep us posted on how Steve does.
Paul

Larry Perkins

I am not a Six Days vet but tell Steve Missouri is proud of him and we wish him the best in New Zealand.  Seems like Jack and Paul's advice is summed up by a quote from former University of Texas football coach Darryl Royal-"We're gonna dance with the one that brung us."

Be Steve and the rest will happen.

Larry P

wfopete

Hey guys I've been on the road and unable to update you on Steve's progress, so here is copies from Steve's web site on how things are going.  I think you will enjoy reading his ISDE stories. Here are some other links that will help you track the event.

http://www.steveleivan.com/
http://www.isde06.com/images/events_schedule.pdf
http://www.worldtimeserver.com/current_time_in_NZ.aspx

Pete Petrick

Tuesday, November 7, 2006
ISDE Update- The Leivan's Invade New Zealand

UPDATE - Leivan's have Landed!  I talked to Steve about 7pm last night  (it was 2pm Tuesday for them)...their trip was good & they had made a trip out to the track already & had gotten checked into their hotel.  His bike IS there, but the container he had shipped had NOT arrived yet.  They were hopeful that it would get there today.  They were getting ready to grab a bite to eat & then do some suspension work.  He said the US peeps were trying to get internet access for the US riders sometime today, so maybe we'll hear from him!!  They were having some trouble making phone calls, so hopefully they'll find some phone cards & be able to call us again soon. Mom had sent some with him but they apparently wouldn't work. He said I'd hear from him again at least by Thursday.  I'll let y'all know when I know anything else.  Steph

Wednesday, November 8, 2006
ISDE Update- Race Preparations

Hi Guys,

It's almost 6 pm Thursday night and it has been a busy and action
packed trip so far. The flights went good (for someone who doesn't fly) and we landed in NZ around 6 am Tuesday. Got our luggage picked up with not much problem although it took a bit of time and then headed to have our stuff checked for cleanliness. They only looked at my boots and set us free. Got the rental car with no problem and started the three hour drive to Lake Taupo. Dad drove and it took some time getting familiar with being on the wrong side of the road. I tried to video some of the drive
- should be good stuff. We went straight to the track - about 1 pm or so and talked to John Bennet and found that the US container was NOT at the race site. Sounds like they tore every countries container apart at the quarantine facility and ours was still there. I brought some parts with me so we headed to the Yamaha area to see when we could get the bike picked up. We headed to the hotel. got checked in, and then back to the race. I took the bike for a ride over to the practice track (about 4 km away), stopped off at the gas station for fuel, and then rode a few laps to get the bike broke in. When I got back, I switched the exhaust system to my Leo Vince and then put on some of my graphics from Source MX.  We followed the Kirkpatricks back to town and had some pizza from Hells
Pizza - awesome stuff - and then we were down for the night. Wednesday we worked from 9 am till 6 pm on the bike and then I went to practice again. There were a lot of guys over there and it was full on moto and the track was hammered. Lots of soft stuff which was cool but there were hidden square edge bumps all over the place. I finally stepped off pretty hard trying to pick up my speed, and called it a day. Cole and Russell Bobbitt were the only ones left there so we all rode back together. It had rained off and on most of the morning, but it drains really fast and the onditions were good. The AMA meeting was at 8 that night and we had to sit in the floor since there were not enough seats. The meeting started and the food left the building so we missed out there. We got our helmets and paperwork and Beth Neff gave all the riders $125 from her shirts sales - AWESOME! Dad and I headed to KFC and got what they had left and caught up on the ISDE gossip with Ron Schmelzle and his leader DK (of TX fame). Today we were at the track at 8 am to sign-up and then started on the bike work again. Our impound got extended until Saturday so we have more
time to prep. The Yamaha guys have made me feel right at home. I have done all of my bike work at their area with their tools and supplies and often with their help. We've got huge canopies to work under with stands, mats, electricity, and lights. That wasn't good enough they thought so this morning they installed a floor to keep us drier. It has rained every day and today it did it a lot. I am still wearing shorts but it is actually quite cold and really windy.  So the majority of my bike work is complete. I got some rear tires form Cole since he shipped the wrong ones, but fronts are a problem. All of the suppliers are out right now but I bought one from Greg Gillian, my Mo Mudders teammate. I'll worry about that some more tomorrow. I am planning to ride some in the morning, final prep the bike, and then head to impound. I'll try to make it to some of the tests tomorrow to walk.  There is plenty more to the story but it can't fit into one update. Got lots of video, have seen lots of people from all over the place, and seen as more shades of green than I thought existed. This is the most beautiful place I have ever been - UNREAL! A lot of the strenuous work is done so now we can kick back and enjoy the ride for a day or two.

ISDE Update- Bike Inspection
Friday, November 10, 2006
   Hey guys,

It's Saturday morning here in NZ. It has finally quit raining - didn't rain at all on Friday. We were at the track early again Friday and trying to get things done. We moved over to the US pit area since we had a lot of the big work finished and many of the American guys had impounded and it wasn't nearly as crowded over there. I finished up a few things, got my paperwork in order, and Cole and I headed to impound. He got in and I didn't. I had taken my bike with the most open end cap on my exhaust, just to see if it would pass and it didn't. I headed back and installed a 96 db insert and went back to try again (which is no big deal). When I got there the Italians were checking in so I got to check out Simone Albergoni's bike a little. It had some cool stuff specific for the ISDE. I also noticed that he taped all of the airbox holes shut to quite the sound and he had an extra chamber made on to the header pipe to do the same. Anyhow, I passed at 94 db that time and the organizers marked my bike and I put it in impound. We cleaned up our trash and headed to the tire vendors to see if there were any front tires to be had. I ended up getting a couple of fronts so I should be good to go for the week. We ate at the track and Cole and I went out ot walk the grass track test near the Parc Ferme. Lots of big drop offs so it was a good idea to walk it for sure. Then we headed up the road to the enduro test that is the farthest away. It is pretty bitchin pine forest with a grass track section with some ganrly off camber turns. There are some mud holes in it - a huge one just befor ethe end that will be a concern after the 200 bikes in front of me pass through there. I got a dose of Kirkpatrick 101 driving school on the way back and we headed to the team dinner and meeting. Cole and I needed more food (since we didn't like much of what we had) so we went back to Hells Pizza around 9 and then back to the hotle where our dad's were deep into a BS session. There are riders all over the place obviously and we saw Juha and Tarkala stroll by while at the pizza joint. Today we are going to walk some more tests and then some of the guys are going to bungee jump. I'm out on that deal. Sunday evening is the opening ceremonies parade and we are supposed to film a two minute greeting for them to play at the AMA awards banquet next weekend.

Other stuff: There is a film crew following the American team to
produce a one hour show. They don't know if it will be on TV or not since the FIM as the rights (or something) but there will be a DVD. There are a couple of guys that rode the course today for day one and said we should have plenty of time at the checks (maybe 10 or 15 minutes). I don't have the numbers in front of me but I think day one is 125 miles, two and three are 160, four and five are 155, and six is 40 or 50 and then the final moto. Most everyone from the US has impounded - the Junior team went in late last night together. Bennet got his suspension yesterday that had been lost so he is happy. That's about it from here for now. I have good internet accesss (for free) and that sounds rare here. Most people are paying and it is slow.
Cheers!

-Steve

ISDE Update- Final Race Preparations
               Sunday, November 12, 2006

Time for another update. Saturday was spent walking tests for most of
the afternoon. I ended up walking by myself which was probably best
since I was able to pay more attention. I did two enduro tests and one grass track. All of the enduro tests are in the pine forests and I think they are going to rut up pretty badly, but we'll see. They have all been made with a dozer some months ago so they have packed in and maybe they will hole up. Even though they are wide they are not wide open fast, so that's good. The most that we ride any one enduro test is three times so that will help as well. The grass tracks are really cool. They get ridden a bit more but they are wide to and should have plenty of lines to choose from.  We got back into town and shopped for some groceries and stayed in the room and cooked some "fish and chips". Our room has a refrigerator, stove, microwave, and every cooking device and utensil you can imagine. They completely clean the room every day and even wash our dishes! I washed three loads of clothes and then went for a swim in the heated pool.
NICE!

Sunday we walked another enduro test and then a grass track. I walked
the enduro test with a guy from Hungary - Peter Katai who has won 10
national titles there and is on the trophy team. He wadded up at the Dakar Rally this year and was helicoptered out and spent eight month getting back on a bike. Plenty of stories from him once I caught onto his English. Cole met us there and then we got together with him and his dad for the jet boat ride (huka-jet). It was an awesome time and the scenery was unreal. The boats have 502 Chevy engines in them and 380 hp. They are unbelievably smooth - the smoothest boat I've been on. Then we found a Subway and a gold old turkey sandwich. YES!

Then we had the opening ceremonies and parade. It was really neat to be walking the streets as a foreigner and having so many people cheer for the Americans. The people here are the nicest I have ever met. Among them was Franco Acerbis, right there in the middle of all the "common folk". We walked to a park; nation by nation; and watched a Maroa dance demonstration. There were speeches by several important NZ people and guests. It was pretty crowded and hard for me to see but I held the video camera up high and hoped for the best.

The meeting place after that was "The Shed" and it was packed full of
people having good time. We sat with the Kirkpatricks and had a steak
and mashed potatoes (maybe the best I've had). So I ate as well today as I have since I've been here. There was lots of activity there, people in costumes representing their country, and motocross on all the big screens. Dad and I stopped off for some miniature golf on they way to the house and he smoked me.Tomorrow is the final prep day. It looks like Dad will be able to chase me to many of the checks points so we are fixing up a box with anything that I might be able to change in 10 or 12 minutes. I think day one is just over 140 miles and the beginning and end is on the road. It will be cold in the morning so figuring out what to wear will be a learn as you go deal. Other than that I think we are ready to go. We have another team meeting tomorrow night so I guess they will fill us in on some of
the final details.

Dad and I ran into Jan Hrehor who we used to see at all the National
Hare Scrambles some years back. He is managing some of the Slovakian
riders this year - he hasn't changed a bit.

That's it for now. Hopefully more tomorrow. See ya.

-Steve
Pete Petrick
175 Jackpiner
Slow but Good

Mick Milakovic

Pete and Steve - Absolutely phenomenal!  I felt like I was there, shoulder to shoulder working on your bike, walking the track, feeling the rain and seeing the people!  For all of us around the world who share your love and passion for the sport, THANK YOU! :D

Mick

wfopete

The latest report:

ISDE Update- The race is on!
Tuesday, November 14, 2006

The racing finally started today. I had to install my fire extinguisher in the morning work period which I mounted inside my radiator shroud. Drilled a couple of holes and ran some zip ties through and I was on my way. My bike started right up and I headed out for the start of my six day adventure.

The first 30k was a road ride to check one and the first test at Moroa. It's a grass track and it was really slippery the first time through, but I managed to stay on two wheels. We rode some trail to the next check and then did the Pylons test which is a grass track with some woods section. It seemed like the traction was better there and I kept it on two wheels in there. More trail and then the first enduro test (Tar Hill) which was pretty good but there were quite a few tree roots. No falls in there either.

Then we rode for about two and a half hours before we had another test. I bled my brake fluid at on of the checks and then changed the engine oil at the check before the impound area. We rode Moroa again and it was torn up this time but I did alright. We rode the road back and did the Pumice Quarry test and again I stayed up. At the pre-check, I cleaned my rims off so the tire changing would be easier and loosened the axle. I changed a rear tire and an air filter and rode to impound. All in all, I had a clean day. I didn't fall in any of the tests which was my number one goal. I had about ten minutes at all of the checks and I was able to get all of the work done that I needed to do. I fell a couple of times in the transfer sections, slick roots and logs, but at least it was in there and not the timed sections. I haven't looked at the results too, close yet so I don't know where I stand. It doesn't matter really as long as I ride hard and have fun.

More tomorrow. See ya.

Love you guys - Steve

-Steve
Pete Petrick
175 Jackpiner
Slow but Good

rfpotter

To add an overall view to this wonderful story.

http://www.cyclenews.com/ShowStory.asp?HeadlineID=10179

Patrick Houston
Cosby, Tennessee

wfopete

Pete Petrick
175 Jackpiner
Slow but Good

wfopete

ISDE Update- Day 2

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Well it rained last night and quit just before I started this morning. I don't know how much, but it was substantial and the course was really difficult. We rode the 30k to test one and it was totally chewed up and muddy. I crashed my brains out in the third turn trying to cross a huge rut which I dropped the rear wheel into and the front went a different route. I picked the bike up and the bars wouldn't turn so I just slammed them hard and they moved. I finished the test but I am sure my time was terrible. We rode a section of trail to the next test and I found that my stabilizer had got bumped to the tighest position and the stabilzer post had spun on the frame (the bolt was missing so I'll assume that theis deal was self inflicted and I forgot to tighten it). I got it fixed and headed out for the nasty section of trail that I have seen for a long time. There were ruts everywhere and most of them were unbelievably deep. I dug my bike out three times, had my knee do one of its' pop out of place deals, and struggled bad. I was sure that I would lose route points but somehow managed to get to the check with 30 seconds to spare. We did a hare scrambles type pit stop and I got to the check without losing any trail points.

From there we did another test and I was alright through there but done riding at 100%. The chance for crashing is now huge and I don't want to throw away any unneccessary time. We hit some fire road scetions and I pinned it through there to avoid getting behind  anymore. I had seven minutes at the check coming out and 14 at the next one. I changed my oil there and bled my barkes at the next one. I changed an air filter as well. We rode back to the Quarry test and it was bitchin since it was out in the sun and wind all day. From there it was back to camp and I changed a rear tire and impounded.

I heard there were a lot of guys dropping trail points today and I
avoided that, so that is a plus. Today also eliminated a lot of riders with bike problems or injury. My knee is swollen up so I am going to try to get some ice on it while we get stuff ready for tomorrow. We've already been to Pizza Hut so I hope to get to bed early and be ready for day three (which is the same trail as today). It will be brutal.

Notes: I heard that Caselli is leading the overall after two days. That is awesome. The Junior team was 2nd after day one. JT Bennet had
ignition problems but got it fixed and kept going (he lost nine trail points I heard). Nicole wasted a radiator but found one and got it fixed at the end of the day. She rode much of the day with a single radiator. Lots of stories today, probably more tomorrow.

All for now.

-Steve
Pete Petrick
175 Jackpiner
Slow but Good

wfopete

ISDE Update- Day 3Thursday,

November 16, 2006

Day three started out much better than yesterday. The Moroa test was
pretty good and the trail that led to the next check was much drier than day two. I put a new masterlink on there and then proceeded to pin it for the next hour to avoid getting close to losing trail points. I made it through that section that was filled with super deep ruts and had seven minutes coming out. The next section was gnarly as well and we knew that so I rode hard again and had five minutes. So the toughest sections were over and I had stayed on time.

Tests two, three, and four were in the woods but far from a true
"enduro test". They were really rough and whooped out with huge pine roots exposed everywhere, so I made sure not to take any chances. I styed up through all of them except for number two when I fell in the last turn, although I mat have been past the timing lights in which case it didn't matter.

Around noon or so, it started raining again. I had three and a half
minutes at one check and then eleven at the next so I changed my engine oil. The crew got a call just before I headed out that the trail was getting bad and the first guys (that went through dry) had 20 minutes while the later ones only had 10. I ran hard down all of the fire road sections and then tried to get through the super slippery woods sections without getting stuck. i did get stuck once and a German rider helped get me out and then we dug him out. I had 11 minutes at the check so I bled the brakes and did a filter.

The rain had let up some and I put on a jacket, clean goggles, and
headed to the final test at the quarry. That test is by far my favorite and it was still in good shape. I felt like I went good through there. At the Parc Ferme, I changed both tires and impounded with two minutes to spare. All in all, I had a solid day and I'm still going. I felt much better today than I did yesterday. My knee is still swollen but didn't cause me much trouble today. I guess you just get numb to it after riding for so long. The last two days have been 7:50 each. Sound like more rain tomorrow, so it will probably be tough to stay on time.

Notes: Yesterday there were several American riders that dropped trail points, so I feel fortunate that I made it through without doing that.  Mike Monroe hurt his knee yesterday and called it a day today. One time today, #220 fell in front of me in a transfer section. I tried to go around him and my friend from Ecuador (Wilson) ran into me which put us both down and then the guy behind Wilson fell into him. Pretty entertaining stuff. Rich Caselli said Kurt went down in test three today and lost 15 seconds or so. Don't know what the standing are after three days, but the Junior team was winning after two.

That's it for now. Plenty of stuff to do before tomorrow.

-Steve
Pete Petrick
175 Jackpiner
Slow but Good

Rain Man

wow, live racing action from New Zealand,  Thanks Steve for the first hand action packed info...and good luck !!

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

wfopete

ISDE Update Day 4

Friday November 17th 2006

We'll it rained all night Thursday and the promoters bumped us up to
"A" schedule for day four. We had run "B" schedule so far and that got tight at times, so the combination of the weather and the pace would make this day difficult. It was misting when I left this morning and it got heavier as I rode the black top on the way to test one. There seemed to be a lot of traffic and the roads were slick, so the first 30k was pretty tense. The Moroa test was really slick and there were deep ruts everywhere, much like day two. I didn't set the world on fire, but I didn't fall either.

The transfer section started out with logging roads that I rode fast to try to get ahead for when the trail got bad. The first bit of off road was a hill that had been logged and there were branches and logs all over the place and there were already bikes stuck all over the place. I just had three minutes when I got to the check. I got gas and goggles and and headed to the Tar Hill test. It is a woods test and is whooped out really bad with exposed roots everywhere you look. After the test there is a huge hill that was completely littered with stuck bikes. I got nearly to the top and got stuck - for 14 minutes. They rerouted the hill while I was on it and I finally made my way up. That used a heap of energy.

The rest of the section was as bad as anything that I have ridden. Ruts everywhere that the bottom dropped out of and bikes filling up any good line. I got stuck and picked my bike up more times than I ever have in one day. I finally got to the check - 23 minutes late. Gas, goggles, and a drink and I headed out. I knew with that many trail points there would no hope for anything but a bronze meadl, so I thought about backing off and just finishing the event. Then I remembered that they had rerouted a section on day three and then threw out any trail points that accumulated in there, so I got back on the gas. I had six minutes at the next check and got something in my stomach (that was around 1 pm).

There was only one check left where I thought I might be late so I
tried to go hard through there but I really struggled in the ruts,
especially the ones going down the hills. I tried an alternate line through a bog and ended up down in a ravine in a jungle with vines and downed logs everywhere. The vines are not like the ones at home. They are more like 4/0 battery cable. I couldn't get the bike down the hill any further, couldn't get it back up at all, and figured I was DONE. Then Walker Luedtke attempted to come the same way. I got hime stopped and convinced him to help me get out. We pushed and shoved and got my bike back to the trail then got his unstuck. Without his help I would still be there.

Amazingly, I had seven minutes at the check where I grabbed my riding
jacket and some clean gloves and rode the road back to the final test. I did manage to fall in that one and tear up my handguard but I made it through the day. I changed a rear tire, bled the brakes, and changed an air filter at the end of the day. In the morning I am planning to change the oil, install an un-bent clutch lever, and a new handguard.

There werer a lot of people that dropped points today and there is a
rumor rolling around that the section I got hung up in will be thrown out since they changed the course for around 400 riders (probably less than that counting the guys that dropped out already). I guess they are NOT supposed to alter the course until everyone rides through it. They have a jury meeting tonight so we'll see. If it gets thrown out then I still have shot at silver.

Today was brutal - more than even day two. We lost a few riders today
from the American team (Bennett - engine, Gillian - engine, and Lacy
Jones that I heard about) The event is really taking it's toll and it has been really hard. I am glad the end is closer. Just gotta keep diggin'.

More tomorrow.

-Steve
Pete Petrick
175 Jackpiner
Slow but Good

sixdazed

Really xlnt. stuff.....

ric emmal
Ric Emmal
Pentons Rule!
5 125 steel tankers
10 cmf 100/125
2 Mettco 125
1 Penda
2 jackpiners
2 harescramblers
5 Herc 7 speeds
1 Tyran 125
1 Ktm150xc
1 Honda crf450x
1 Honda sl70
1 Hon cr125 77
1 Yam pw80
2 Yam yz125d
1 Suz pe 175
1 Suz rm85
1 Mz250
3 Sachs/dkw 125
1 Hon cb700sc
1 Aprillia RC50
Most in progress..                      so many projects-so little time...

wfopete

ISDE Update- Day 5

Saturday, November 18, 2006

The story for day five is that it was stopped early due to the
continuing rains. I was through check two (14 minutes to spare) when it started to dump again. To that point the course hadn't been all that bad, just lots of ruts to pick from. I had two falls in the second test (one big endo) and that hurt my score, but I was still in one piece and going. The third section was nasty and I was stuck several times. I managed to make the check with 30 seconds to spare and get through Tar Hill enduro test without crashing.

Then the trail got really bad and I buddied up at times to get
through to the next check - 30 minutes late. I didn't see how anyone behind me was going to stay on time and figured they might toss the section. I rode into section five and got hung up with a pile of other riders trying to get up a nasty hil. We ended up going back down and finding a road. When we got to the check (a couple minutes late) they told us the day was over. Some guys hadn't even made it to check three.

I got some dry clothes and a jacket and rode 45k down the highway back to camp - in the rain. It was SKETCHY and COLD. It sounds like they will count the first two tests and the two checks since everyone should have got there. Tomorrow is supposed to be 25 miles or so and then the final moto. I am glad the end is close. I have seen enough ruts to last me a long time.

More to come later about this entire week - especially the wet days.
The computer is a hot item here and there is always a line. I'll have
more detail when I get back in the States.

-Steve
Pete Petrick
175 Jackpiner
Slow but Good