Sealer for Steel Tanks

Started by firstturn, November 24, 2006, 08:54:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

firstturn

I had the question asked today as to which way is the best to clean rust out of the old steel tanks and/or seal them.  I know some of the tricks I have used in the past are just too time consuming and sometimes don't work.  Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Ron Carbaugh
Kerrville, Texas
Ron Carbaugh

rob w

Ron, I've heard good things about this stuff.

http://www.evapo-rust.com/

Bob W

3putt

We have had good experience and quite pleased with Evapo-rust.  Will NOT harm the paint, and can be dumped down the drain, both big pluses. Good Luck !!    Nelson McCullough

G Ellis

Ron .. I use lead shot and shake it around. This always works for me to remove rust.  Later Gary

Tony Price

Evapo-Rust is honestly magical, and you don't have to poor it down the drain after one use since it is reusuable.

Just plug up the petcock holes like you would with any other approach, and poor in a gallon, let it sit over night, then turn it so that the parts that haven't soaked yet get covered, let stand over night again.  Then you just strain your material back into the bottle.

One thing it isn't so good at is removing the goo from the tank if gas was left in it.......

Hugh's Bultaco sells a sealer kit that is pretty enviro friendly and doesn't do a number on paint, but the name escapes me at the moment.  It also works well on fiberglass tanks, by the way.  Just hit his website and it should be easy enough to find.

Tony
Tony

john durrill

Ron,
 We have used the kit sold by Eastwood. Its an industrial strength Kreem type of sealer. It sets up like an epoxy almost. Lasted on my old R80Rt for over 10 years and is still working for the young man that bought it from me.
 They use a pre-wash and an etching and solution. It will harm paint so some care needs to be taken with it. When done all rust is gone in the tank and an etched bare metal surface is left. Then the sealer goes on.
 It is a permanent fix.
John D.

firstturn

To Everyone;
  I think my Friend has enough to work with and I learned more uptodate methods.  Thanks...this is the best Best Group.

Ron Carbaugh
Kerrville, Texas
Ron Carbaugh

thrownchain

The Bultaco stuff is "Caswell".

Tony Price

Quotequote:Originally posted by thrownchain

The Bultaco stuff is "Caswell".

Yep, that's the stuff.

Think I'm gonna need to go that route on a PV Katoom resurection about to get underway.........

Tony
Tony

desmond197

I have used the Caswell stuff from Hughs on a couple of fiberglass tanks and it works great as a sealer. I have not used in on a metal tank but should work great. Highly recomended.

firstturn

OK after numerous attemps to purchase Evapo-Rust from Auto Zone...and I guess they truely are zoned OUT I called the company and got the part number for anyone else who is interested.

8 993939932 5

I hope this helps.  This is the bar code.  I will let you know how it.

John D.,
  I will also try your input from Eastwood.  Thanks.[8D]

Ron Carbaugh
Kerrville, Texas
Ron Carbaugh

3putt

Ron,   We have purchased it in 2.5 and 5 gal containers (shipped UPS) from the Company attached.  You might wish to check it out if this is not too late.  I think they are located close to you also.  Good Luck, and let me know what you think after trying it out.  Nelson
  http://www.orisonmarketing.com/index.html

tofriedel

Ron,

I have used the Evapo-Rust with great success, all you need is a little patience.  Cleans rust like magic.

Tony
Tony

firstturn

Nelson,
  They are locate in Central Texas.  Thanks.

Ron Carbaugh
Kerrville, Texas
Ron Carbaugh