Marty Moates, RIP

Started by Dwight Rudder, December 08, 2006, 02:12:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dwight Rudder

INDUSTRY NEWS - Marty Moates, R.I.P.
By Paul Carruthers
Grand Prix Winner12/8/2006

According to several reports, former motocrosser Marty Moates took his own life yesterday, December 7, in Southern California. Moates was 49 years old.

Moates won the 1980 United States Motocross Grand Prix at his home track - Carlsbad Raceway in Carlsbad, California.

I also believe Marty founded No Fear Gear.  I met him several times at the Indy Trade Show.
Sad,
Dwight

Dwight Rudder
7 time ISDT / E medalist
8 time National Enduro Class Champion.

sixdazed

That's just horrible.Seeing Marty coming down the downhill at Carlsbad while leading the U.S.G.P and actually hearing him screaming YEE-HAW,and later on seeing him at a lot of the S.R.A. Grand Prix's cross country races always smiling,it's hard to imagine him taking his own life.He seemed like such a happy guy.First Bimbo, now this- it's been a tragic year for mx history.Condolences to the Moates family-Godspeed Marty.....Very Sad
                                      Ric

ric emmal
Ric Emmal
Pentons Rule!
5 125 steel tankers
10 cmf 100/125
2 Mettco 125
1 Penda
2 jackpiners
2 harescramblers
5 Herc 7 speeds
1 Tyran 125
1 Ktm150xc
1 Honda crf450x
1 Honda sl70
1 Hon cr125 77
1 Yam pw80
2 Yam yz125d
1 Suz pe 175
1 Suz rm85
1 Mz250
3 Sachs/dkw 125
1 Hon cb700sc
1 Aprillia RC50
Most in progress..                      so many projects-so little time...

bentrims

Dwight,
Thank you for posting this news. How sad.

Paul Danik

I was sent this and asked to post it.
Paul    

By Kristina Davis and Jennifer Davies
UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITERS
December 9, 2006

CARLSBAD – Motocross champion Marty Moates, who revolutionized the motorcycle world in 1980 by becoming the first American rider to win the United States Grand Prix at Carlsbad Raceway, died Thursday night from a self-inflicted gunshot wound, authorities said.

The sudden death dealt a major blow to friends and fans of the 49-year-old legend, who was also known for co-founding No Fear, a sportswear company in Carlsbad.
Moates' wife found him dead in his car shortly before 8 p.m. near Oriole Court and Mimosa Drive, around the corner from the couple's La Costa home, Carlsbad police said.
"We're all scratching our heads over this," said Eric Johnson, spokesman for No Fear.

Johnson described Moates as a happy-go-lucky guy who was well-liked by everyone at the company and throughout the motocross community.

Moates changed the course of motocross history in 1980 when he became the first American to win the U.S. Grand Prix at Carlsbad, a race that had been dominated by Europeans.

The victory proved to be one of the biggest upsets in the sport's history as American riders quickly took control of the race.

In an online tribute to Moates, Johnson called him "the underdog."

"He was the guy who rode all the junk and made the best of it," Johnson wrote.

Moates joined with twin brothers Mark and Brian Simo, also racers, to create No Fear, which grew into an iconic clothing brand in the 1990s, with the motto "Face your fears, live your dreams."

Moates served as the vice president of trademark security, taking the lead on dealing with counterfeiters and squaring off with former Ku Klux Klan leader David Duke when he named his national organization NOFEAR. No Fear was successful in getting Duke to change the name.

In the last couple of years, Moates became president of FMF International, a motocross clothing brand that is a partnership between FMF and No Fear. The outpouring of affection was evident on the many motocross message boards, with fans and motocross riders remembering Moates as approachable and genuine.

"I'm crying as I write this and I'm sure you are, too. I considered Marty as a friend and can't believe he's gone. He was one of the nicest people I have ever met, and I really mean that," said one message on motonews.com.

While Moates was a known prankster who was quick to smile, Johnson acknowledged that Moates was still dealing with injuries sustained from his motocross career, as well as with stomach ulcers.

Boris Said, a close friend and a stock car racer, said Moates also underwent a third surgery on his back.

"We knew he's been in a tremendous amount of physical pain, but none of us saw anything like this as a possibility," he said.

Moates is survived by his wife, Heather, and a son, Dakota.

Staff writer Bill Center