Steel Tank Puzzle

Started by Admin, January 06, 2007, 08:19:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admin

I don't mean to sound like a "broken record" but the Steel Tank Questionairre Project could really use some more help in the timeline portion.  We have a good handle on all of the changes that happened during the 4 yr period of production. But with approximately 6700 pieces ("V" numbers) to this puzzle, and to date, only 115 pieces (questionairres) on the table, our puzzle is still very incomplete.  I realize the questionairre takes some time to complete, but if you could find the time, it would be greatly appreciated.  If you don't want to fill out the questionnaire, but would be willing to give me your "V" number (or if you know a fiend who has one) and possibly answer a couple of questions, it would also be a great help. Even if it's only a bare frame, some 15 questions can be answered.

With the information that we currently have, we can see changes being made, but with large gaps in "V" numbers, it is hard to pinpoint the exact date of the change.  

Before the Steel Tank Book Project goes to press, anybody who has in the past or future, submitted a questionnaire or supplied their "V" number and some information, will be eligible to have their name credited in the book.  At a later date, you will receive a release form from me as to whether or not you want your name in the book.

To get the questionnaire, click here:
http://www.pentonusa.org/steeltank/steeltank1.asp

Bill Smith
38236 N. Rickham Ct
Westland, MI 48186
(734) 729-3496
[email protected]

CharlieT

Thanks for the reminder. Now that I have retrived mine from having been on display up in Cadillac, I'll print out the questionairre and go over it.

AndyL

Bill,
Excellent timing in my case.

I came across my steel tank questionaire this last weekend and I am not sure if I ever sent it in.  I dont see the V number listed on the Frame Serial Numbers list.

Frame number is V4531, engine number is 6551122, and it is 1251/5A. Not sure if the engine was original as I got it all in boxes.

Should I just send the completed questionaire in anyway or can you check and see if I have submitted it? (to avoid duplication)

Let me know and I will get it taken care of.

As a side note, the bike is up and running again, but still needs alot.  What are the choices for seat covers or foam?  The local upholstery place can make something up but they have been pretty expensive when doing work on Hodaka's and early Yamaha's.

Andy
#14u MOVMX and AHRMA
1975 Jackpiner
1970 Steeltanker
74 Monark GS Basketcase
Andy
#14u
MOVMX, AMA, AHRMA

Admin

Andy,
No, unfortunately, I don't have a questionnaire for V4531.  If you could send me one, I would really appreciate it.

Since posting the "Steel Tank Puzzle" message, I can't believe the amount of response I am getting. :D I guess the old phrase, "it never hurts to ask" is true.  

I had one questionnaire come back in the form of an email with just the answers to each question.  This works for me and saves on postage for you.

One of the neatest things I have received in the last day or so is the image below.  This was on top of a gas tank with the 4 mounting holes, probably 1970.  This was the first time I had seen this decal and needless to say, it was not in the questionnaire.  Can anybody translate what this says?

Bill

TGTech

Bill:
Here's the translation:
Austrian 50cc Motocross Champion
1969 International Six Days Trial, Garmisch-Partenkirchen; 5 Gold Medals
125 Italian Enduro Champion
125 Finnish Enduro Champion

Dane

ozscofield

Bill,

I do have two steel tankers that will both be at the POG meeting on February 3,  Will you be there?  If so, perhaps we can complete the form at that time.  If you won't be there, I will make sure to  complete the form ASAP.

Ozzie

rob w

Bill,
 Will be mailing out one for good ol' V1421 (original '69) tomorrow. You have anymore NOS tanks to raffle off. :D
Bob W

Trial in German is Fahrt ?

TGTech

Bob,
I don't know the exact terminology, but "Fahrt" has something to do with "driving". The word is also used on German highways at exits. There are signs that say "Ausfahrt", which I would suspect, means "drive out". Maybe Speedy can enlighten us on this one.

Dane

sixdazed

Can't wait for Speedy to enlighten us on "Fahrt's".

ric emmal
Ric Emmal
Pentons Rule!
5 125 steel tankers
10 cmf 100/125
2 Mettco 125
1 Penda
2 jackpiners
2 harescramblers
5 Herc 7 speeds
1 Tyran 125
1 Ktm150xc
1 Honda crf450x
1 Honda sl70
1 Hon cr125 77
1 Yam pw80
2 Yam yz125d
1 Suz pe 175
1 Suz rm85
1 Mz250
3 Sachs/dkw 125
1 Hon cb700sc
1 Aprillia RC50
Most in progress..                      so many projects-so little time...

OUCWBOY

Depending on how it's used, it could mean a few different things.
It means drive, ride, journey, trip, voyage, passage, cruise. It could also mean speed, or at full speed or pick up speed.
Ausfahrt means to exit.

Donny Smith
Paragould, AR
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

Admin

Bob, thanks for the questionnaire.  As for raffles and your kind of luck with them, NO WAY!

Ozzie, yes, I plan on being at the POG meeting in February.  Paul and I will have plenty of questionnaires on hand.

With the flurry of Steel Tank activity coming in now, I received the following photos from Shane Weckerly (hotrod392). I contacted Shane for his permission to use the photos on the website and he agreed. Below is a short paragraph from Shane about the photos.

"Attached are two of the photos I have of myself sitting on my fathers (Dennis Weckerly) brand new Penton. Date is unknown, but he bought it around 1972 when the new CMF models were coming out.  I was 3 or 4 years old at the time. The other photo is of he and I riding (me on my Indian Mini Mini) in the Arizona desert.  I have others photos on slides and on 8mm film. I will try to scan them in at a later date."

Shane Weckerly (hotrod392)

rob w

Neat pictures Shane. So that's what those four threaded inserts on top of the tank are for - child restraint. [^]

Until I started disassembling this '69 today - I've never seen this on a steeltanker before. It's two straps of steel welded onto the underside of the frame's backbone, making a "U" shape to contain wires (and maybe a cable), with a pin hole to hold the wire junction block.

Thanks,
Bob W

slvrbrdfxr

Bob,
My 68 ST V144 has the same bracket welded onto the frame backbone. Instead of having a wire junction block, mine has a rubber mount that attaches to the forward end of the old style long airbox.
Dave McCullough